Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inspection
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tquattrini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Inspection Reply with quote

I just took my bug in to get it inspected. They said they could not do it cause it had a front disc brake conversion on it and the turn signals were in the bumper and not on the fenders. I just do get it.

Anyone else run in to this issue with theirs?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each state has their own problems. However, I did sell a very well built Baja to someone in PA. It would not pass inspection because the rear bumper was not mounted to the frame (sheet metal). However, the rear bumper on it was far stronger then the stock one. It was mounted to real metal, shock towers, and frame horns. I told him to take it to a referee, to get it signed off. In that case it worked, so it might be something that you try.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use your google-fu to find the rules that apply in your state, county, maybe even city. Yes it's a lot of reading in legaleze. Yes it's YOUR responsibility since you live there and have a modded car.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like the most assanine thing ever. Your car is safer with front disc brakes so we won't inspect it? What kind of B.S is that? The lights thing could be a height issue so I can possibly see that.

Thats one f'd up state inspection right there for an old ass car. Definitely find out the law, but its not cause of the brakes. That shop sounds like it just doesn't want to do it.

Good luck
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Jersey, if you have classic car plate [QQ], you do not need to have it inspected. I know PA has classic plates, do they also require inspections of classic cars?

-jeffrey
BeetL62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Us p Reply with quote

I would take it to a different shop. I run t-bars and custom front signals on my bug and haven't had any issues getting it inspected.

If you get an antique plate in PA, you do not need to get it inspected.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 74 has front disc brakes and got inspected with no issues. Something fishy with that garage you took it to. Classic plates need inspection, but as mentioned Antique plates do not need inspection, but you can not use an antique car as a daily driver. Strict limits and rules for having an antique and how much you can drive an antique.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a state that no longer requires inspections (hated them when they were around, was glad when they were dropped--but now wish they would go back to them to get some of these POS's off the road.)

Anyway, is it possible that they would not do the inspection on it if you did the brake conversion yourself, as opposed to say a professional shop doing it?

Also, I do know that an antique plate requires a vehicle to be not significantly modified from stock--if you have an antique plate on your car maybe that has something to do with it.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Eriebugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: PA inspection Reply with quote

As mentioned above, try another shop. PA inspection rules can be difficult. Some shops, especially dealerships & national chains (ex. Monro Muffler) follow strict interprtation of the rules while others not so much. Local shops with real mechanics can be more understanding of what is safe. I don't believe inspetions are required for antique plates but you are limited to use for shows, etc.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there is some language to indicate limited use, I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has ever been find for "over use". If they have, I'm sure there was some extenuating circumstances that warranted the fines. I say get the antique or classic plates and don't worry about the inspections anymore.

-jeffrey
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X3 on taking it to a different shop. And don't be surprised if you have to shop around for a while until you find one that will even give you the time of day. I worked at a shop once where the boss had a list of makes and models that he wouldn't let through the door because he couldn't make a fat profit off them. We were instructed to make up BS excuses such as, "Sorry, we don't have the tools to work on your car," or "That was a one-year only model and we can't get parts for it anymore." ACVWs were at the top of that list. For some reason, the boss had the impression that VW people were cheap bastards who don't like to cough up the coin. I wonder who told him that?
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you will need to shop around, for sure. In my experience, the ma-pa mechanic shops near me want to run it thru the ringer and do a detailed check just to see if they can make more money getting my car up to passing standards (adjusting the lights,etc) and the bigger (tire) shops pass it with no problem. Of course, they like to thoroughly check my tires in hopes to see the wear, which they would conveniently sell me a new tire. Laughing I take mine to a detailed shop that does inspection. They go by the book but they are laid back and not anal on mods.

I guess I'm lucky I have not ran into a very bureaucratic by-the-book inspector that knows their cars.
Allyn132
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA gives Antique plate owners a pass on safety and emissions inspections. However, if you have Classic plates, the emissions inspection is still waved, but the safety inspection is required. I have classic plate which differs ever-so-slightly from a standard plate - I can drive up to 5,000 miles/year and never pay the annual licensing fee - just 1-time $75 plate fee.

Allyn
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
Although there is some language to indicate limited use, I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has ever been find for "over use". If they have, I'm sure there was some extenuating circumstances that warranted the fines. I say get the antique or classic plates and don't worry about the inspections anymore.

-jeffrey

Jeff, the problem with your idea is that antique insurance is very cheap. I pay $139 a year for my 78. There are rules for which you can drive it so if you would happen to be driving it to work, which is a no-no, and you are in an accident, you could be in deep trouble. Also, the state doesn't want you to be driving and uninspected car every day. Like was mentioned, the license is a 1 time fee of $75 so you never have to pay for tags again for that car. Everybody would be jumping on the antique bandwagon if the insurance was that cheap, no inspection, and a 1 time license fee. Plus you have to keep an antique licensed car in a locked garage on your property when not being driven. No sitting in the driveway or on the street.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: