Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Urethane or Rubber Torsion Bar Bushings?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piperj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Urethane or Rubber Torsion Bar Bushings? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm getting ready to replace my original 1967 bug bushings and am wondering what the forum recommends? I understand that Empi purchased Bugpack and some of the grommet /bushing options we once had are no longer available. So do we only choose between Empi red urethane or original rubber types? Suggestions/Ideas appreciated.

My car is stock except for 1915 dual carb and performance exhaust and I'm just looking for good replacement bushings that will last .

John
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that The red grommets and bushings are NOT holding up as they should . There have been several posts on this subject recently .

do a search...lots of info out there

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
piperj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandpa Pete, thanks for the tip. I did quite a bit of searching prior to posting my question and really didn't find what I was looking for. Would appreciate your being a bit more specific; if you can provide me with a link to a post I would appreciate it. If the net of your answer is to just use rubber; I'm ok with that; just want to know best choice for longevity.

Thanks!
from one Grandpa to another...
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it relates to torsion bar bushings, but I've seen red urethane motor and trans mounts dry up, disintegrate and crumble into small pellets after about 10-15 years.

Rubber on the other hand may harden, shrink and crack, but still hang in there.
Changed the originals just for good measure on my '66 when I was messing around with the torsion bar adjustments. They were 45+ years and still looked in good to fair shape.

I went with WW's replacements, which claim to be from an OEM maker...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311511246

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to apply grease to the urethane bushings if you decide to go that route. They are known to squeek without lube.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the rubber bushes on my 1972 made car are probably never replaced and still hanging in there, I'd go for OG rubber stuff when they finally need replacement. I went out and got the lot from reputable dealers, always went for the best german quality I could. But the MOT guy said they did not need replacement yet, so it is kept on a shelf in a cold dark place until further notice. But stay away for those cheap chinese knockoffs, they will crumble in a season or two.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my year old squeaking red urethane bushings with rubber ones. No more squeak. No noticeable change in handling. When I took it apart, there was still lots of thick silicone based grease on the inside of the urethane bushings. I don't get it. I recommend rubber unless you are using it for some extreme application like autocross or road racing.
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Urethane or Rubber Torsion Bar Bushings? Reply with quote

piperj wrote:
Hi, I'm getting ready to replace my original 1967 bug bushings and am wondering what the forum recommends? I understand that Empi purchased Bugpack and some of the grommet /bushing options we once had are no longer available. So do we only choose between Empi red urethane or original rubber types? Suggestions/Ideas appreciated.

My car is stock except for 1915 dual carb and performance exhaust and I'm just looking for good replacement bushings that will last .

John
urethane will crack, stay with rubber
piperj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the input from everyone. Sounds like the consensus is to stay with rubber. I ordered a set from WW today. From some other forum topics it sounds like using talcum powder is the way to install.... Any other thoughts , let me know!

Have a great day!
John
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are speaking about the bushings that mount on the beam, I went with Delrin. They are the best out there. I know Airkewld suggests them too. Do not try to skimp out on this, you will be replacing the red polyurethane ones as they squeak. I've had absolutely zero issues with mine going on 2 years. Just my 2 cents worth
piperj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that my post is in regard to my rear torsion bar suspension springs... I guess that would help a bunch Embarassed I guess the technology between urethane and rubber applies to either but I am just working on the rear suspension at this time. The front is stock on mine.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear housing bushings were the urethane one's that squeaked like heck on mine. Rubber handles just fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: