Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Magazine?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwguy73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: VW Magazine? Reply with quote

Wwwwaaaayyyy back, when I was in high school I purchased my first Bug from my uncle for $300. I also subscribed to VW Trends and Hot VWS magazine and enjoyed reading and dreaming about the days when I'd be able to afford some of the things I'd see in there. Now that day has come and my love for the Bug hasn't changed, but now, where are those magazines? I've searched high and low without success. Does anyone know if they're still around? Or is there other magazines out there that ya'll are reading?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trends went away several years ago
atari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot VWs is still around, I see it at Barnes and Noble every month. Across the pond, VolksWorld also comes out monthly and can be found at bookstores.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot vws still available, try Barnes and noble
NYPATER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: It's out there Reply with quote

But I like ultra vw and volksworld better. They are at B&N.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always SUBSCRIBE to some like Hot VWs. They have US Mail delivery in Louisiana, right?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mail delivery is worth it, Way cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've subscribed to Hot VWs since 1973, miss the old covers...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
76VDubya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the retailers used to carry them around here, but I haven't seen any in stores for a year, or two.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just because I am younger but I have never personally seen the appeal of most magazines like those. Mostly cause I can find everything in them and more online, so I don't see the point in paying for it.

But yes, Hot VWs is still alive and kicking.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, there is something to be said for the feel of shiny paper when reading a magazine. I have a couple of 1970's Hot VW and Dune Buggy magazines here in the closet. The parts were so cheap back then. And car kits were the rage.

Just reading on line isn't the same. I mean, you'd have a hard time looking up the same articles from 40 years a go on-line.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Jordan, there is something to be said for the feel of shiny paper when reading a magazine. I have a couple of 1970's Hot VW and Dune Buggy magazines here in the closet. The parts were so cheap back then. And car kits were the rage.

Just reading on line isn't the same. I mean, you'd have a hard time looking up the same articles from 40 years a go on-line.

Tim

Not if you have good google-fu Wink

I see where you are coming from though. It is nice to see how much stuff used to cost.

Fun related story: I was at my VW mechanics shop buying a used cylinder head that he put new exhaust valves in for me. I think I paid $150ish dollars. While I was waiting for him to grab it from the back I noticed an ad from the late 60s hanging on the wall, advertising how cheap VWs were to repair with the tagline "For instance, a brand new cylinder head is only $20". That hurt to read.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotVWs is where all the sano lookers are... I will always have my subscription. Cool

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Kafer Dave retired, the VW magazine business went right down the toilet. Crying or Very sad
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are incorrect if you think you can Google-fu all of the VW info... It's not all online...

If ~$25.00/year for a subscription to Hot VW's magazine is a wallet buster, you might need to rethink what you do to earn money.

bnc
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can Google and find an on-line girlfriend, I suppose. But it's not the same as one who sits next to you in your bug.

I like old books, magazines, newspapers. I have many from the 1800's. Dickens; Frankenstein The Modern Prometheus (with woodcut illustrations); a two-volume set of Les Miserables (bound in pigskin); one newspaper, dated June 6, 1944, telling what was happening in Normandy that day; a 1939 one where they thought the Germans would never take Holland (boy were they wrong); a book on the American Civil War that was published in 1863 (two years before the war ended). You know, old stuff like that.

Nothing on a computer screen can compare with these items. You can smell the history reeking out of them from the moment you open them up.

Also, Jordan, in 1969, I got my first "grown-up" job. They started me at $1.65 an hour. Even so, a few weeks later, I plunked down $200.00 on a new Karmann Ghia. My payments were, I think, $72.00 a month. But, within a year, I was making a whopping $3.00 an hour Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
You can Google and find an on-line girlfriend, I suppose. But it's not the same as one who sits next to you in your bug.

But the online one will be less expensive. And your seats will stay cleaner !!!

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Also, Jordan, in 1969, I got my first "grown-up" job. They started me at $1.65 an hour. Even so, a few weeks later, I plunked down $200.00 on a new Karmann Ghia. My payments were, I think, $72.00 a month. But, within a year, I was making a whopping $3.00 an hour Rolling Eyes

I had a 2-year loan on my 1970 VW, in late 1972, and I had put some $$ down on its $1100 private owner price. I was thrilled 2 years later to get that $31.41 payment off my back. And that's the last auto payment I've ever made.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Maybe it's just because I am younger but I have never personally seen the appeal of most magazines like those. Mostly cause I can find everything in them and more online, so I don't see the point in paying for it.

But yes, Hot VWs is still alive and kicking.

I had hoped that by sending you those articles especially the highest mileage vw at that time Al Klein it would impress upon you the info not available online yes you must seek out the musty old books to find some of it. I've got old service manuals and one off books that will never be available online.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last issue I bought featuring the toppless texan and a few other beauties. easy read for my taste. could have been a little tech articles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser, you remember as well as I, any action in a bug is best left to little people and hobbits.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: