Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this engine 6 volt?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Is this engine 6 volt? Reply with quote

can you guys please help me ? I am planning to put this motor in my 1964 11 window . I want to keep my bus 6 volts for now Very Happy . So the guy does not know if this is 6volts or not? PLEASE LOOK AT the pics I have a pic of the flywheel and the front I hope you guys can tell Very Happy my old motor is a 1600 and has ROD KNOCK Crying or Very sad I know this 40 horse is weak but I don't care at this moment in time I just want to get it on the road and running for my older son " HE CAN CHANGE IT LATER IF HE WANTS" Laughing Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot tell just by looking at the flywheel you have to count the teeth. The generator does not appear to have the regulator mounted on it which wooulde indicate 12 volt.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a mix motor, it has a 12 generator, but a six volt flywheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you think you are stupid but I guess you would know. Another tip off is the label on the top of the coil. It should be stamped either 12v or 6v.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of 6 volt generators with no regulator but the giveaway is the threaded stud and nut electric connections make it 12 volt. Yes, count the teeth of the flywheel.
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:

^^This^^

The flywheel is 6 volt. You can tell because of the relatively wide flat area between the teeth and the recess where the clutch is installed. ("You" can tell if you are familiar with 6 and 12 volt flywheels, That is Wink ), but count the teeth to confirm. A 6 volt flywheel has 109 teeth.

If you want to keep the bus as is--6volt--you will need to change the generator, generator stand (unless you source a large diameter 6 volt generator), coil, choke heating element, and voltage regulator. That motor is not a plug-and-play, as it sits.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why... but I love seeing engines in the cargo area.
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

^^This^^

The flywheel is 6 volt. You can tell because of the relatively wide flat area between the teeth and the recess where the clutch is installed. ("You" can tell if you are familiar with 6 and 12 volt flywheels, That is Wink ), but count the teeth to confirm. A 6 volt flywheel has 109 teeth.

If you want to keep the bus as is--6volt--you will need to change the generator, generator stand (unless you source a large diameter 6 volt generator), coil, choke heating element, and voltage regulator. That motor is not a plug-and-play, as it sits.

"That motor is not a plug-and-play, as it sits."
but if I change all the electrics to the proper 6 VOLT ELECTRICS will it work then? the heater boxes that are on this motor are no good? what do I need to do to make this fit? on my bus?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I AM DUMB PLEASE HELP what is this? Reply with quote

xcoldgrimjimx wrote:
my old motor is a 1600

Tell us more about this, 6V or 12?, and what about the starter you have now?

Looks like a 6V flywheel from here, you can always count teeth to confirm, 109 for 6V and 130 for 12V.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcoldgrimjimx wrote:
olliehank47 wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

^^This^^

"That motor is not a plug-and-play, as it sits."
but if I change all the electrics to the proper 6 VOLT ELECTRICS will it work then? the heater boxes that are on this motor are no good? what do I need to do to make this fit? on my bus?

Yes, if your 64 is stock, 6 volt. The big deal with the engine is to have the flywheel match the starter. Once you confirm that is a 6 volt FW, it will work with your starter. Change out the electricals and install the engine.
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok , so if I change the electrics on this motor and the flywheel IS 6volts . All I will have to do is pop on the clutch and BINGO? is that what yall are saying? ...IF NOT PLEASE TELL ME what needs to be done that I missed

#1 change all electronic equipment to 6volts "my OG starter IS 6 volts already " Very Happy
#2 make sure the flywheel is indeed 6 volts "and it is"
#3 heater boxes are fine to use ?
#4 bolt my OLD 6 volt clutch up
#5 my old muffler wont fit because it is for my OG motor with is a 1600 so I will need a "new" muffler to fit this 1200 40hp
6# I can use most of my parts from my old 1600 to put on this 1200 carb, coli, distributer ,cap rotor , spark plugs , generator ..ext

THE STORY..................

PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM MISSING SOMTHING FOR THIS SWAP!

This motor is from a 61 bug not from a bus ...And I am putting it in MY 1964 11 window my old motor has rod knock, so just to get it up an running for my older son I am putting this 1200 in it for the time being. I am planning to rebuild my #'s matching motor in due time! Very Happy EVERYTHING IN MY BUS RIGHT NOW IS 6 VOLTS EVERY THING! so.. that's why I/WE chose this motor , its still 6 volts and its easier to put a 6 volt in "at this time " than going to 12 volts because I will need to grind the tran's , wiper will not like it , change all light's and fuse's ..ext it a good idea "I JUST DONT WANT TO TAKE THAT ON RIGHT NOW" so doing it this way seemed to be the cheaper option, VS a motor rebuild that will be up to 1300 bucks! Sad since my boy is learning about money, working on motors , life budgeting ...he asked me what rout to take , and I said well son how much money do you have to work with? he said about 500 bucks Shocked I said well..... for one you don't have e-nuff money for a rebuild , or even a bottom end rebuild ...lol he said what am I going to dad? Crying or Very sad I said well son at this point in your/ our "resto" of this bus the best option "in my op" keep ALL OG 6 volt electronic equipment ,for one they all WORK !!!everything !!! gas gauge, lights, wiper !!!! all working awesome!!! so we are good in that way!!! so if we keep the "replacement motor" 6 volts we wont need to grind, voltage drop , replace lights, fuses , anything !!! so lets to that "because of his budget of 500.00 " on a side note I will help him in the money aspect Very Happy for odds and ends . So we /him opted for this 1200 because it is close to us and the guy just had it rebuilt the price is right and over all looks "in good working order" I know its lower power than what we had. But its just to get him driving from school work & in and out burger ..lol Very Happy he's not going to race anyone with 40hp ..lol so that is the story AGAIN PLEASE LET ME KNOW EXACTLY what needs to be done to make this swap happen! Very Happy "if I did not cover it in the above listing"

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE !!! Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the parts can be made to work, but if your current clutch/flywheel is 200mm and the 61 bug is using a 180mm clutch you'll have an issue with the clutch.

The heater boxes may have different sized outlets as well, not too hard to adapt that though and it won't stop you from driving it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I don't know why... but I love seeing engines in the cargo area.

Because you like sticking knifes in electrical outlets Laughing and it's like seeing a new unwrapped toy coming home
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a 6 volt flywheel a mile away. Maybe that's because that's what my bus came with when I bought it and had to figure out why the neighbors 3 blocks away could hear the bus try to start, who knows but 6 volt teeth are more course that and the smaller clutch diameter.
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooooo, Very Happy guys is there anything I have missed to do this swap ? Very Happy
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hear this engine run? Not saying it isn't but it does not look like an engine that was recently rebuilt to me. Before going any further I would make sure it's a good engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcoldgrimjimx wrote:
sooooo, Very Happy guys is there anything I have missed to do this swap ? Very Happy

Carb with 6 volt choke (and cut-out if you have one).

I think you can put your 1600's 6 volt flywheel on it but use the matching shims and set the endplay. You could leave that 180 mm flywheel on it if you want but use a fresh 180 mm clutch disc and pressure plate. Your old 200mm clutch and PP won't fit.

If you have the same diameter generator in 6 volt put that on. If you have the smaller diameter generator put it on with its own pedestal. Use which ever pulley lines up best with the engine's pulley.

6 volt coil you mentioned.

I think you can use the 1600 heater boxes on the 40 horse? Not sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: