Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP Air Box
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: CSP Air Box Reply with quote

Hey All,

In my quest to hush things up, I was thinking about a CSP Air Box.

Has anyone ever installed on e of these on a Ghia? I understand there are some clearance issues? With rain tray and hood springs?

Also, they are a pretty penny. As my KG is to be a daily driver... what kind of noise reduction can I expect?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with csp on these and if you have offset manifolds they will not work because it will not clear the fan shroud on the 3-4 cylinder side.After they told me that I scrapped the idea.I can't see them clearing the rain tray either.
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice system! I'm really growing weary of the oily, noisy mess that I currently have and from what I've read, these oiled element, open air cleaners also let more through more dirt than a good paper element.

I've made a lot of things work over the years with a decently equipped workbench and some persistence. How do I know if I have an "offset" 3-4 manifold? I currently run a dual 40 IDF setup with a hexbar linkage that runs above the generator, but I also have a linkage similar to the one shown in the photo. My 69 coupe has the stock engine lid with the early style integrated rain tray

Mark
86 quantum syncro
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the 3-4 manifold.the front of the manifold should be about even with the front of the fan shroud.Now look at the 1-2 side.you will see the front of the manifold come past the front of the fan shroud by an inch and a half or so.this is what an offset is.the reason for this,if you open the case you will see the four cylinders laying in the case one after another rather than two being directly across from one another.This creates the offset.If you look at the linkage you will see it runs at at angle from side to side to compensate for the offset.
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm - I am thinking of

1. moving the box itself down in front of the pulley

2. swapping the carb bonnets from side

3. scratch-building some fiberglass tubing between the bonnets and box. Or figure out ducting of some kind.
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By switching the bonnets and adding runner length from the bonnets to the air filter may create more restriction.These were designed to give the correct cfm to the carbs.I made up my own system similar to the CSP one with longer tubing and only one 45 degree bend and it did restrict the air flow a bit.One important note is I was told by CSP that they only quiet the carbs down by 3 to 5% which is not a very good bang for the buck.These are more cosmetic than functional.The loudness you are hearing is a percentage of intake noise but alot of it is exhaust noise.That is why you hear about tuned exhausts.I am running a set of Weber 42 DCNF with good air filters with an insulated engine compartment.My exhaust is a dual quiet pack and the noise is bearable.When you run dual carbs you sacrifice noise for more power.
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

videoguy009 wrote:
By switching the bonnets and adding runner length from the bonnets to the air filter may create more restriction.These were designed to give the correct cfm to the carbs.I made up my own system similar to the CSP one with longer tubing and only one 45 degree bend and it did restrict the air flow a bit.One important note is I was told by CSP that they only quiet the carbs down by 3 to 5% which is not a very good bang for the buck.These are more cosmetic than functional.The loudness you are hearing is a percentage of intake noise but alot of it is exhaust noise.That is why you hear about tuned exhausts.I am running a set of Weber 42 DCNF with good air filters with an insulated engine compartment.My exhaust is a dual quiet pack and the noise is bearable.When you run dual carbs you sacrifice noise for more power.

Interesting... did YOU find your fabrication made things quieter?
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did but not by much.I measured the sound level in the cabin with a db meter and it was only 5db or so quieter which is not very much.There was no difference outside the car though.The best advice I can give is to insulate the engine compartment and surrounding areas well with tarboard or a dynamat like material.My Ghia was noisy with the dual carbs and it quieted down a fair amount with the tarboard.Alot of the noise can resonate through the sheet metal.I realized that You get used to the noise the more you drive it.As far as the air filters change them more often as they are not that expensive.
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you make out getting you car fixed?I hpe all is good.I am in the process now trying to get mine fixed.Quite a battle with the insurance company! We both got hit in a very bad spot,(rear ended)
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, i rode in a beetle with the CSP airbox, and it mace a significant difference in the amount of interior cabin noise, especially on the highway.

Most of the roar you hear on the freeway is intake noise IMHO.
You can tell by the sound it makes..

What’s That Noise?!?
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be so on the highway.I only tried mine as a daily driver around the city.
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaah, THIS is interesting!

My main issue is the racket it makes on the highway at 60 mph. My ear is not tuned to hearing specifically intake related noise on air-cooleds.

At 40 mph, it's quite comfortable and I could putter around all day like that. At 60 mph the engine makes a racket and there also seems to be significant wind rush coming through the front of the car and dash. It gets tiring.

As a reminder- the car is packed with sound proofing and anti-rattle.

I figure, little by little, if I carefully contain all this, I should get a reasonaby comfortable ride.

Videoguy,
So far my Ghia is getting closer to being released... next week, maybe?

I think it should be quite a straight-forward construction. The fabbed up ducting is all that I'm worried about... I don't want it to resonate!
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news.Looks good.Mine is going in the shop to have it's butt fixed next week.
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how is goes with your butt.

I just got a call from the shop - in a few hours I need to stop by. They plan to start the engine and want me there.
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably feel better if you were there because you know your car.Hope everything goes well.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at these photos. Setup might work on your Ghia, especially since there is no central main air chamber like on the CSP air box. Unfortunately the height of the 912 air cleaners will most likely interfere with your Ghia's engine lid springs...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting- and these fellows make things quieter?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: