Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 Timing scale verification using 12 O'Clock window
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting post. At some point I really should do like SGKent says and split the difference from both sides of TDC and see if my scale is off.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
aeromech wrote:
I wish I could just bend the scale to be closer to accurate but it's so far off I don't think that's even possible.

A little filing and a little bending should get you there.
Tcash

Sad that lately almost every new part lately needs a little of that to fit and work correctly Crying or Very sad

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bus I worked on that made its way across the country last year had an OG scale that cracked when the engine sucked a rag. We replaced it with one of these and also found that it was 4* too advanced. I think he ended up filing all the numbers off, marking 28* with a paint dot, and a few smaller paint dots for initial static setting and fully retarded idle ballpark.

Such a disgrace to these cars………
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Very interesting post. At some point I really should do like SGKent says and split the difference from both sides of TDC and see if my scale is off.

There is an easy way to do this if you have the tin off the engine. Just run the #1 piston up as close as you can to TDC compression and then pour motor oil into the spark plug hole until the compression area is almost full but not the spark plug hole itself, now jockey the crank around to get the piston even closer to TDC by watching the oil level in the spark plug hole. Once you have it as close as you can then fill the spark plug hole almost to the brim with oil. Now move the crank back and forth the tiniest amount while watching the oil level. Right where the oil level is the highest will be TDC. You can easily get within 0.5*+/- of TDC this way.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

There is an easy way to do this if you have the tin off the engine. Just run the #1 piston up as close as you can to TDC compression and then pour motor oil into the spark plug hole until the compression area is almost full but not the spark plug hole itself, now jockey the crank around to get the piston even closer to TDC by watching the oil level in the spark plug hole. Once you have it as close as you can then fill the spark plug hole almost to the brim with oil. Now move the crank back and forth the tiniest amount while watching the oil level. Right where the oil level is the highest will be TDC. You can easily get within 0.5*+/- of TDC this way.

you might get away with that where you live but Gary would have News 7 with a Helicopter over his house as the police arrested him for being a public nuisance in an upscale area of San Diego. SoCoast Air Quality Board representatives would hand him a fine the value of his house for starting that engine the first time after doing that. The cloud of smoke would cover 1/3 a square mile. We can't get away with that kind of thing here in dry summer weather. Maybe in the middle of a winter storm with heavy rain and 40 mph wind to blow it away yes but not this time of the year. 300 Chicken Littlles would call SDFD.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

you might get away with that where you live but Gary would have News 7 with a Helicopter over his house as the police arrested him for being a public nuisance in an upscale area of San Diego. SoCoast Air Quality Board representatives would hand him a fine the value of his house for starting that engine the first time after doing that. The cloud of smoke would cover 1/3 a square mile. We can't get away with that kind of thing here in dry summer weather. Maybe in the middle of a winter storm with heavy rain and 40 mph wind to blow it away yes but not this time of the year. 300 Chicken Littlles would call SDFD.

Laughing
The HOA police showed up 25 minutes after I started my cam break in this year…… Joke's on them since the they were 5 minutes late and couldn't tell where the smoke came from! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Easy enough to suck the vast majority of the oil back out of the cylinder is smoke is a concern.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing that to find TDC might be a solution for most situations but this time I happen to have the fan case with the 12 O'clock window and a fan with both the mark for that window and the notch on the pulley so I need not go to those extremes. Too bad I don't have a variety of scales to mount and check the accuracy of. Just be aware of this guys.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeromech,

For what it is worth... I have what looks like the same aluminium timing scale on my bus that I ordered several years ago from The Bus Depot. I had the engine rebuilt several years prior to installing this scale and the engine builder (you can see who in my signature line) marked the fan housing with 0* and 32*. My aluminium scale matches up perfectly with these hand written numbers (how accurate those numbers are, I don't know, but the two to me validate each other). I hope this helps any, and I am curious what you figure out with the scale being correct or inaccurate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers!
Ben
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
.... Just be aware of this guys.

now you know why I do this on each engine I build although some here gave me crap for it as unecessary

Topic on setting TDC: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409853&highlight=tdc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to fill the cylinder. Put the hose in a jar of liquid.

https://ww2.gates.com/europe/file_display_common.c...5005%2Epdf
http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Your-Engines-Top-Dead-Center-TDC

Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

file=GAT5005%2Epdf

Tcash

Cool, their drawing even has the appearance of being a Type 1 VW generator pulley.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
aeromech wrote:
.... Just be aware of this guys.

now you know why I do this on each engine I build although some here gave me crap for it as unecessary

Topic on setting TDC: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409853&highlight=tdc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would never give you crap for that. I do the same thing. Every crank, case, rod set and piston set if slightly different.

I verify with a depth mic that actual TDC matches TDC marks.

I also make all my fans have a mark at 180* to assist in setting valves. Ray
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be Naggy Nellie, but checking the accuracy of your TDC mark is SOP when building any motor.

Those 40-year-old floppy, half melted, mangled OG plastic timing scales ain't exactly spacecraft-grade, either. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

https://ww2.gates.com/europe/file_display_common.c...5005%2Epdf

Tcash

that is a good idea but I am seeing it only for sale overseas. There is an easy way to do this on an assembled engine. Get a bolt to make a barb, or a barb that fits the plug hole. Put the engine where you think TDC is. Put a clear 1/8" to 1/4" hose on the barb and immerse the end in some ATF. Turn the pulley and see if the hose pushes air out or pulls fluid in. If it pulls in turn the pulley the other way until it pulls fluid in no matter which way you go. Turn it a couple degrees, make a pencil mark on the pulley at a set spot and on the hose where the fluid is. Turn the pulley the other way until the hose mark is the same. Make a second mark on the pulley (use a pencil etc.) Measure between the two pulley marks and put a line 1/2 way. Double check but that should be very close to TDC. Remove hose, barb and you are done.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Just curious, is that engine for a 411?

No, 1974 bus

Do all '74 engines have the observation port on the top of the shroud?

I'm curious, because a wrecked '74 I picked up has that same port, and when Colin saw it he posited that it was an engine from a 411. Now I wonder if it could be the original engine (or at least shroud)...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
aeromech wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

No, 1974 bus

I'm curious, because a wrecked '74 I picked up has that same port, and when Colin saw it he posited that it was an engine from a 411. Now I wonder if it could be the original engine (or at least shroud)...

I'd have to guess that the shroud with the window would have come from a car like a 411. They need a window because there is no way to see the fan pulley from straight on like you can in a bus.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
aeromech wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

No, 1974 bus

A '74 bus shroud will have the mounts for the air pump on top but not have a timing hole. The 411/412 shrouds and the '72 bus shrouds will have the timing hole if I am not mistaken.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Timing scale verification using 12 O'Clock window Reply with quote

Things can be a little tricky with timing marks on T4 fans if you are not 100% sure what the fan came off of. There were many different combinations of timing marks around the perimeter of the fans. I have three different ones myself, and I know of at least two more that are also different...so it could easy be that mark is not actually top dead center, but close. The timing scale may be more accurate than you think, and those apparent few degrees difference could be due to the fact that it may be a 5deg mark for static timing or something like that. It is tricky to know exactly what you got unless your an original owner and know your engine has never had a fan removed/replaced, engine work, etc.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: