Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6 non turbo to a 1.9 turbo diesel is it worth it?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
booty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: 1.6 non turbo to a 1.9 turbo diesel is it worth it? Reply with quote

anyone can tell me if its worth the engine swap for highway power?? I have a 1.6 diesel non turbo, I have a 1.9 turbo diesel from a 95 jetta diesel.
My last question, is it an easy engine swap? do the mounts and engine bolt up perfectly to the old transmission? they sure do look the same? any help would be great Booty
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booty ...very well worth it for drivability. And you already have the engine. others will helpfully chime in w what checks, repairs you may want to consider before 'transplant'. if you decide to go ahead and will be doing (at least most of) this as a DIY project ... pm me w your email address and I will send you a ~20+ page documentation of the job done by my Westy's PO ... very detailed, including a few pitfalls along the way.
Cheers & good luck on your (potential) project. Done right; it will be like driving a completely different vehicle.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely worth it. The 1.9 is a whole redesigned engine, and the turbo will make your Vanagon scoot. You can expect problems with your axles and transmission with more power. I had to get my trans rebuilt after installing the stronger engine, but it was old anyway. The stock diesel clutch is strong enough to handle the power, but look it over closely while you have it out and make sure it is in good condition.

Fitment is not too bad, the 1.9TD bolts on the diesel bellhousing. If you are not a mechanic, or can’t put the van on blocks while you rustle up all the parts, have a knowledgeable mechanic do the job. There are several different parts you will need:
The crankcase ventilation is different.
The oil cooler filter mount needs to be upgraded to handle additional engine heat.
The vacuum pump needs to be updated.
If you get a complete engine it will probably have these parts.

Using the stock intake system is not recommended, though it will fit. The 1.9 is a taller engine and you will find filter replacement is difficult. You will need an upgraded exhaust system. I would also recommend at the very least an exhaust temperature meter (EGT or Pyrometer) on your dashboard as this will tell you when your engine is on the verge of burning up.

Your left side engine mount needs to be modified to clear the turbo, this will be the hardest part of your upgrade. There is a TDI arm out there that I used, because the original arm is rather bulky. You can see here what I had to do:
Modifying the TDI mount for K14 turbo.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This idea needs no further explanation.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xs 3 definitely worth it,.
and upgrade to the Air cooled transmission at the same time.
will be a night and day difference for your driving.
my normal cruise speed was ~72mph in my 1.6TD with Air cooled trans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
booty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Definitely worth it. The 1.9 is a whole redesigned engine, and the turbo will make your Vanagon scoot. You can expect problems with your axles and transmission with more power. I had to get my trans rebuilt after installing the stronger engine, but it was old anyway. The stock diesel clutch is strong enough to handle the power, but look it over closely while you have it out and make sure it is in good condition.

Fitment is not too bad, the 1.9TD bolts on the diesel bellhousing. If you are not a mechanic, or can’t put the van on blocks while you rustle up all the parts, have a knowledgeable mechanic do the job. There are several different parts you will need:
The crankcase ventilation is different.
The oil cooler filter mount needs to be upgraded to handle additional engine heat.
The vacuum pump needs to be updated.

If you get a complete engine it will probably have these parts.

Using the stock intake system is not recommended, though it will fit. The 1.9 is a taller engine and you will find filter replacement is difficult. You will need an upgraded exhaust system. I would also recommend at the very least an exhaust temperature meter (EGT or Pyrometer) on your dashboard as this will tell you when your engine is on the verge of burning up.

Your left side engine mount needs to be modified to clear the turbo, this will be the hardest part of your upgrade. There is a TDI arm out there that I used, because the original arm is rather bulky. You can see here what I had to do:
Modifying the TDI mount for K14 turbo.

thank you for the info!!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. Many of the AAZ 1.9TD engines came with a turbo that fits fine with the stock left side engine mount. The first ones didn't clear it but later ones did. If the AAZ turbo has the external waste gate actuator rod then it will likely be an easy fit.

Mark

Gnarlodious wrote:
....Your left side engine mount needs to be modified to clear the turbo, this will be the hardest part of your upgrade....[/URL].
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is almost funny. Yes, the difference in performance between a 1.6 non-turbo and a 1.9 Turbo is quite significant. Add an intercooler and a more appropriate boost/fuel aneroid setup on the injection pump and it's fairly easy for the 1.9TD to put out 2.5 TIMES the power of the 1.6 non-turbo.

You will want (need?) to change the trans to one with appropriate gearing for a much more powerful engine.
Eugeniy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not so hard
trunk pump pack from 1.6
pan from 1.6
cooling pipe from 1.6
mounting feet welded to pads on the Passat B5
clutch:
-disk from 2.1 boxer
-flywheel and clutch basket form vw engine 2E or RP 228mm
flywheel must turn
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

electric wiring diagram for ECU (BOSCH EDC 15C, AFN, AHH, AHU)

Translation by rows
brake switch
battery
egnition lock
42 peg control unit
glow
2,28 ECU peg
33 peg control unit
9 peg ECU
the cars frame
47 peg control unit
33 peg control unit

A1, A2 normally open relay
A3 normally closed relay

------------
it's a small part of the work that needs
if there is no fear and the head is present on the shoulders - all be succeed
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google translate?

He's talking AAZ. All stock vanagon diesel wiring. No ECU. No need to change the clutch/flywheel.
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in more than four decades of spinning nuts and bolts on engines, i have come across a few designs that are just sweet. the AAZ 1.9 VW engine is one of them. i had one in a 93 Golf and wish i had it back. compared to the 1.6, that engine is a lot better than the extra 300 cc can account for. i would swap one for my JX 1.6 turbo engine anytime. swap it in for a normally aspirated 1.6? in a heartbeat.
some of the JX parts will make the swap easier. notably the oil pan. it has an inlet for the turbo oil drain. not all that difficult to put in a pan from a NA engine, but easier if you don't have to.
go for it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: