Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Repair Panels? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I bought lower A pillars from Schofield, nice stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How did these pieces work? Pictures?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So continuing my discussion on floor panel replacements for the Bay Window buses, I contacted Busdepot direct today. I verified that the complete floor pan comes from T Parts which does not have a Klokkerholm badge but they do sell Klokkerholm metal panels. Busdepot told me the metal is coming from Virginia. I am mixed on the reviews given, as I have had luck and good business with the Bus Depot, and also reading folks being happy with Klokkerholm metal for various other panel replacement projects.
I like the work of Klassicfab and AH Schofield, and price wise both those two compared to the Busdepot is about a $70 difference, not including shipping.
So really, what's the catch? I want to do the job right, with good, solid metal that will look close to factory and be solid for years to come. Is the $70 more of a guarantee that it will be easier to install, and fab into the bus? Not being familiar with welding and metal works, I would be having my uncle show me how to do it myself, and look forward to tackling the job. But using a cutting wheel and cleaning up the existing hole for the new floor pan, will the additional costs up front make it worthwhile in the installation process?
Anyone have any input for this matter from personal experience??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

We are about to use these parts. I'm going to the shop this weekend and will take some pics.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I started another forum post in regards to floor pan replacement panels and it got a little off topic, so I came here. What I am after and asking for, is you guys experience and opinions on good replacement panel companies for more specifically the floor pan area in the front cab of a 74 Westy. Any input on this matter and things to look for/look out for?
Thanks,
Sam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behold!
https://klassicfab.com/klassicfab1/en/87-front-floor-floor-sections

Put some funk on it Cool
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Hey guys I started another forum post in regards to floor pan replacement panels and it got a little off topic, so I came here. What I am after and asking for, is you guys experience and opinions on good replacement panel companies for more specifically the floor pan area in the front cab of a 74 Westy. Any input on this matter and things to look for/look out for?
Thanks,
Sam

No offense but your question was answered by more than a few in your other thread.

Gerson. Done.

And I don't really buy the fact that that 'one' company says theirs isn't klocker as the one I got from them was stickered as such...it was a fairly recent purchase as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really interested in Klassicfab and their work but the problem is, is they are out of stock on what I'm needing. Also I was thinking it was $300 CAD and USD so I'm concerned about shipping costs. I have emailed them just waiting to hear back. Thanks for replying good sir!

secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed partial replacements (for either side) are noted as 'in stock' on their site right now, does the WHOLE floor NEED to be replaced? Just a thought. Hopefully they will reply to you soon and it won't be so bad.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Behold!
https://klassicfab.com/klassicfab1/en/87-front-floor-floor-sections

Put some funk on it Cool

Yes, and specifically for your '74 bus:

https://klassicfab.com/klassicfab1/en/front-floor-...9-lhd.html

But that's the whole front floor.

I have not seen a KlassicFab piece for '73-'79 that is just a partial front floor, although that is what I need for my '73. I really need just the part left of the steering column. So, KlassicFab does not make that, I can either buy the entire floor for $300 and toss or sell the remainder, or I can bu this from A H Schofield:

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2474375-Cab-Floor-Half-LHD-Left-7279-211801053AX.html

for £75.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really only think I need the left side panel replaced, especially if it includes the area for the throttle assembly and mount. I can't drive my bus because it's rusted out underneath the pedal. I like the looks of AH's stuff and cost wise I'd like to do half and save some green.
The only real reason I am looking into a whole panel is because there are some light spots of the passenger side that yeah, could benefit from the entire can floor being replaced. As well as it being a cleaner, more professionally looking job after fab work and installation.
As stated, Klassicfab no longer has the floor pan in stock for this year bus. Screen shot just a few minutes ago still showing no longer available.

I may call around some distributors and see if anyone has Klassicfab panels in stock and if so, if they have this item I'm after. Any leads would be great. And thank you for the suggestions and feedback. I'm in the southeast of the country, east coast and south logistically are ideal.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can find it somewhere.

One other nice thing about the KF panel is that it has a much more substantial mount for the accelerator pedal. The A H Schofield piece has little to offer there besides the hole.

That's one of those little details that people are talking about. Having to fab that up yourself takes time. What is your time worth?

I'm in the same boat, but will not be getting to this project until next summer or possibly even 2017. Maybe the KF part will be back in stock by then! Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I really only think I need the left side panel replaced, especially if it includes the area for the throttle assembly and mount. I can't drive my bus because it's rusted out underneath the pedal. I like the looks of AH's stuff and cost wise I'd like to do half and save some green.

Give these guys a call, maybe they can help.

http://monkeynutvw.com/parts/v/baywindow/metal+repair+parts/

It would seem they have both the left and right.

Hope that proves useful!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, the location is perfect. I'm not too far from the Carolinas, though I still have a question about the partial panel. Does it go far enough in (center of cab area) to replace the accelerator mount and linkage? That's the main reason for needing to replace the busted one, it's rusted right underneath my gas pedal!
Price is cool and I am intrigued with the quality. That green would look great with my brilliant orange bus ha
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse comes to worst, temp weld a patch where the pedal hinge goes, put down duct tape and paint on the rest. Wait for the good metal, either Klassicfab or Alan schofield, if they are on back order or you need to save more money. Especially if you are not experienced in metal fab work, it is so much easier to work and fit their metal. I have a couple Klokker pieces, and they are unusable except for cutting up.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Give these guys a call, maybe they can help.

http://monkeynutvw.com/parts/v/baywindow/metal+repair+parts/

It would seem they have both the left and right.

Hope that proves useful!

I would seem that way, until you realize that these are not for '73-'79, which is what the guy needs. The step is different starting in '73.

http://monkeynutvw.com/parts/v/baywindow/metal+repair+parts/IMGP0369+_Small_.JPG.html

That is not the correct part. I have yet to see evidence that KlassicFab makes that partial floor for '73-'79. If they did, I'd buy it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
. I have yet to see evidence that KlassicFab makes that partial floor for '73-'79. If they did, I'd buy it.

they do. vdubtech used them.

assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. call monkey nut or gerson....both offer more shit than they ever list on a web site.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a drivers side partial floor for a 73 a few years back from Gerson. There photos of the piece in my build thread.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi, that sir, is an extensive Build Thread. Very nicely done.
The partial panel you used from Gerson, was it only front the steering column over to the door? Looks like it just a tad small for what I'm needing.
77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
1967250s wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

We are about to use these parts. I'm going to the shop this weekend and will take some pics.

I had a terrible time with these schofield lower A-pillars... ended up making my own so post up what your experience is.

The metal on these was too thick compared to the originals and they simply didn't line up at all for whatever reason. granted I barely had any a=pillars left so lining up anything was difficult to say the least.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the first time ever I've heard of someone complaining the replacements were too thick Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 41

Jump to: