Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new rebuilt bosch al27x alternator needs a new pulley
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlinofkatuah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: new rebuilt bosch al27x alternator needs a new pulley Reply with quote

85 gl 1.9L
well im trying to fix the excessive vibration of my alternator that i believe broke my alternator bracket stud off in my engine. ive fixed the stud, bought a new rebuilt bosch al27x alternator, and had them reinstall the pulley off the old alternator onto the new. on the old alternator the pulley was misalligned with the main and waterpump pulleys by sticking out just a couple of millimeters farther. the old alternator was a mid grade generic compared to the new bosch. i looked up replacement pulleys on ebay for a bosch alternator; the 5 or 6 listed do not look like the pulley ive got. mine is longer.
while my daycog belt does stay on, i believe the misalignment of the belt is whats causing the shaking of the alternator.
yes, im aware of the gowesty bracket. GW says that the bracket is for fixing the vibration caused by older alternators whose bearings may not be as good. well my rebuilt alternator as of now has less than 20 miles on it, so im confident the bearings are good. i will later get the bracket for added security but for now i want to get my alternator running smoothly before i upgrade.
ive watched utube videos people post of their vanagon engines running and their alternators dont seem to vibrate as much as mine.
i guess im asking if anyone has experience to offer about this alternator and changing the pulley. as in a good source, their experiences changing them, etc.
thank you

I wish you Joy, Abundance, & Bliss!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That AL27X is a standard Bosch replacement for 1.9 wbx. Why not post a detailed photo of your pulley and belt setup?

Mark
merlinofkatuah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry, i dont currently have a camera. is there something i can describe in more detail to you that you would be looking for in a photo?
since we know it is a standard replacement unit then i cant be the only one dealing with the pulley issue; because it doesnt come with a pulley right out of the box.
im wondering who else is running this al27x alternator on this 1.9L engine? and what pulley did u put on it?

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AL27X is a standard replacement for a 1.9 wbx. It mounts the same and uses the same pulley parts as the original alternators because it is one of the original alternators, just one that has been rebuilt by Bosch.

I have used many of the AL27X. It is sold with just a bare shaft and you have to move all the pulley parts over from your old alternator. The rebuilt ones come with a new nut and lock washer. The other 6 metal pieces that go on the shaft need to come from your old one. The parts need to go on in the right order for everything to line up right.

I asked for a photo in case I could see something that was done wrong. Maybe you know someone with a camera who can help you out with a couple photos. People here will help you figure out how to show it to us if you need that.

Mark
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting a vibration then try a new belt.

The idea of the GoWesty alternator bracket brace it to prevent problems with the alternator mount and to keep from damaging the case where the mount attaches. The brace is best added before any problems of any kind including vibration damage the mount and the case. The original mounting system is way under engineered, I added both the GoWesty brace and another brace of my own and would recommend that others do the same.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You also need to replace the bolts that attach the alternator mount to the block every 50K or so as they like every other part of this system are way under designed. Use grade 12.8 bolts, not the cheap soft ones.

merlinofkatuah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try to find someone to borrow a camera from.
the belt is a new daycog. it was put on to replace the contitech belt that was also new but refused to stay on; i assume because of my slightly misaligned pulleys.
and good heads up about the bolts, i just last week replaced both of those bolts that hold the bracket on.
in that pic u posted, is that a bosch alternator? it looks like it has one of the $50 to $60 pulleys that came up when i searched ebay for bosch alternator pulley.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merlinofkatuah wrote:
i will try to find someone to borrow a camera from.
the belt is a new daycog. it was put on to replace the contitech belt that was also new but refused to stay on; i assume because of my slightly misaligned pulleys.
and good heads up about the bolts, i just last week replaced both of those bolts that hold the bracket on.
in that pic u posted, is that a bosch alternator? it looks like it has one of the $50 to $60 pulleys that came up when i searched ebay for bosch alternator pulley.

Its a Delcotron, available just about anywhere I am apt to drive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: