Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme..
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks buddy. Lots of things to do. Right niw i just installed like this one on my 67 splittu bus.
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build, Dong! How did you weld the manifolds?

Can I use a MIG welder and wire or is it aluminum brazing or some such?

Also, where on the manifolds did you tap the Ampco oiler?

Thanks!
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I must have missed this one on my first search. But I found my answer to the "weld or braze on manifolds" question from Bub:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326666&highlight=welding+manifold

Bub wrote:
Pretty simple to make a dual carb kit for almost any application. I did it with a 40hp on a dune buggy I built a couple years back, it used two 28/30PICT carbs.
You need the lower (head) flange from the 40hp, cut maybe a couple inches above the flange, some appropriate pipe (sectioning the VW intake works fine) and two manifold to carb flanges. The good thing is the 40hp manifolds are cheap/free most of the time, so all you need is a welder, some beer and a free saturday afternoon.
You mock it up on your longblock, spot weld and finish the manifolds. In my case I heated the manifolds and slightly 'bent' one to get correct offset. I made linkage hidden on the front of the shroud using steel rod I bought at the hardware store and random dual carb linkage pieces. If you've seen many of the old kits you can easily picture how to make it, and it seriously works fine, many times better than the old stuff.
Vintage is always cooler, but even with a decent wallet they can be hard to find.

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph DR wrote:
Great build, Dong! How did you weld the manifolds?

Can I use a MIG welder and wire or is it aluminum brazing or some such?

Also, where on the manifolds did you tap the Ampco oiler?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply! I just used an acetylene type welder. I worked perfectly!
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme.. Reply with quote

DONG, how do you manage to reach the mixture and idle screws on the right carb? Aren't those partially blocked by the fan shroud, or do you have a special tool (i.e., right angle screwdriver) to reach them? Or is the manifold angled back slightly so that the carb is rearward of the fan shroud side?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Red painted engine case... sexy!

You mentioned the carbs are 30 PICTs, yet it looks like they have a manual choke? By comparison, US-spec 30 PICTs had electric chokes.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme.. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
DONG, how do you manage to reach the mixture and idle screws on the right carb? Aren't those partially blocked by the fan shroud, or do you have a special tool (i.e., right angle screwdriver) to reach them? Or is the manifold angled back slightly so that the carb is rearward of the fan shroud side?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Red painted engine case... sexy!

You mentioned the carbs are 30 PICTs, yet it looks like they have a manual choke? By comparison, US-spec 30 PICTs had electric chokes.

Good day.

I have a screw driver that really fts in between the fan shroud and the carb. Though it's a tight stop to adjust the mixture screw, but with bucket full of patience, it can be accomplished. As far as I can remember, those are Brosol Solex 30 PICT carbs that have manual choke. Though I will have it checked later.

When I bought my '65, the engine was with red color. Scraping the paint may leave permanent marks on the case that is why I left it as is. But, given the chance, I'd like it in magnesium color.

Thanks,

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme.. Reply with quote

because i simply don't know these things .... why an Ampco oiler and an oil filter ???

does the Ampco jar only act a an added reservoir?

and (feeling needy here) how is it plumbed?

thanks
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme.. Reply with quote

s.e.charles wrote:
because i simply don't know these things .... why an Ampco oiler and an oil filter ???

does the Ampco jar only act a an added reservoir?

and (feeling needy here) how is it plumbed?

thanks

The Ampco is a "top end oiler", it is fed into the air intake/carb venturi. You fill it with Marvel Mystery oil and it lubricates by misting oil into the intake tract. The lid to the oiler has an adjustable metering device. The fitting that goes into the carb/intake has a specific size orifice.

The other can is an actual oil filter, for pressurized engine oil.

Both are accessories and don't have anything to do with each other.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme.. Reply with quote

thank you; appreciate the clear & concise explanation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: