Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you guys know vintage air compressors?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Do you guys know vintage air compressors? Reply with quote

I picked up a vintage air compressor a couple days ago and I am hoping someone can help me identify it in the event I need parts and to make sure it is all plumbed right...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Couple pics here and there are a couple more in my gallery.

Has a westinghouse motor. Markings on side are "LB" and N 2554 B
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know the model but that's a LOT of "custom" plumbing.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamesama980 wrote:
don't know the model but that's a LOT of "custom" plumbing.

Yeah that is part of what I am trying to figure out.
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the square upright tube is, I'm guessing, an attempt at a dryer/cooler. compresser output goes there and expands, cooling and water condenses out also on the cool walls. Looks like a drain on the bottom and air outlet on top. Is it welded directly to the tank on the bottom? Without being able to inspect it in person and see the quality of welds, pretty sketchy. Could be a pipe bomb on a timer. Google air compressor explosions.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamesama980 wrote:
the square upright tube is, I'm guessing, an attempt at a dryer/cooler. compresser output goes there and expands, cooling and water condenses out also on the cool walls. Looks like a drain on the bottom and air outlet on top. Is it welded directly to the tank on the bottom? Without being able to inspect it in person and see the quality of welds, pretty sketchy. Could be a pipe bomb on a timer. Google air compressor explosions.

Yes and the welds seem pretty good. It will hold pressure all day long when no hose is attached.

The square tube doesn't get any pressure actually. I removed both of the line running into and there wasn't any air flow, they did have what looked like moisture/oxidation on the copper though - it had copper-green buildup.

Here you can see a little more of some of the plumbing. Apparently these were lubricated/cooled via the vehicles oil system. That brass loop is an oil line with a flow sight in the brass fitting on the close side of the pic.

I have been doing some research on these types of compressors and it looks like they can have some pretty decent output so it would be really nice to get it running well. I actually like the idea of making this look even more complex by adding an oil reservoir and some more coils of copper to make it cool better. Just not on an under-performing compressor.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates: The lines going into the square tube in the back is for water cooling. It looks like this is the compressor off the M35A2 military trucks and is designed to piggyback on both the lubrication and water cooling systems of the truck.

At least I know how to make it run a little cooler... just need a source for parts now.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Do you guys know vintage air compressors? Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:
I

Unless they were add later those plastic wheels on doesn't make it seem that old to me. IMO

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Do you guys know vintage air compressors? Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
arizonabuckeye wrote:
I

Unless they were add later those plastic wheels on doesn't make it seem that old to me. IMO

My old compressor has steel wheels. It's 25-30 gallons (unknown) but weights about 300 pounds. Probably worth more as steel scrap by weight. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Do you guys know vintage air compressors? Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
arizonabuckeye wrote:
I

The wheels were added later - or rather it appears the compressor pump may have been added later.

I've been doing a fair amount of research on this... Looks like it may be a pretty stellar compressor! Specs I am finding say it puts out between 8.5 and 12.5 C.F.M. at 1250 RPM!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: