Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI info
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: FI info Reply with quote

Is there a better diagram of the 68-69 FI system than in the Bentley manual? Today I finally took the plunge to convert my carbs back to FI. Shocked
I've had the parts since the start of the year. Since I finally had 2 days off together, I figured I'd do the swap. Or at least get it started.

Right now, my two biggest problems are that I don't have any idea about the wiring connected to the pump (a part that's almost bypassed in Bentley Mad Evil or Very Mad ) and the vacuum lines Mad .
There aren't any proper diagrams of the top of the engine, at least not from what I've seen.

My fuel pump is being run through a 4-way flasher, and I don't know where the wire go on it. ANd the vacuum lines are anyone's guess, based on the info I'm working with.

And Martin: If I don't get any answers here, I will be calling you in the morning.

'69 square
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the factory fuel manual, here, but it would be a lot of scanning. What do you need exactly. Vacuum diagrams, and wiring??

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, anything would be helpful; even accurate second hand oral descriptions.

'69 square
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm needing to redo all my fuel lines as well... I know it was mentioned I'd need about 20' of line, what size diameter? Thanks... Wink
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I ment to post the above to the fuel leak issue...
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 feet of 7mm or 7.5mm German FI fuel line is recommended, if that's not available locally 5/16" FI fuel line will work.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found the wiring diagrams for the early FI very helpful. The trick is that you have to look at more than one diagram. Part of it is in the engine diagram, part is in the chassis diagram, and part is in the fuel system section.

This picture helped me see where the hoses really go:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
lapuwali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing how each bit in the FI works helps a lot in routing hoses and wires.

For the vac hoses: one goes to the MPS, which hangs on the left side of the engine bay; another goes to the distributor; another goes to the WOT pressure sensor, which hangs under the intake manifold on the right side. Those are all small hoses. One large hose from under the throttle body should go to the AAR, which sits on top of the engine near the distributor. The other nipple on the AAR has a large hose that goes to the air cleaner.

The fuel hoses should route from the feed line in the tunnel (left side) to the left side fuel rail, around to the right side fuel rail, to the pressure regulator (right side, in front of and below the intake manifold), and to the return line in the tunnel (right side). At the fuel pump end, they go from the tank to the filter to the inlet on the pump (labelled). From the outlet of the pump to the feed line. From the tank to the Y. From the Y to the return line in the tunnel. From the Y to the other pump outlet.

If you have a cold start valve, you'll need more hose there, but I don't have one, and have never seen one, so I can't help there.
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the recent editions of the Bentley have the wrong wiring schematic for the 68-69. The old manuals with full color schematics are correct. Keep an eye out for one. They're nice. I use my old Bentley for electrical and my new one for greasy stuff.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of putting the Factory FI manual up on my web site. I need to rescan some of the pages, and finish uploading them. My computer started acting up, and I had to stop for a bit to fix it. Ya gotta love Windoze XP memory hog.
I should have the rest of it tonight.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/Fuel-Injection-Manual

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are about 60 some pages of the factory FI manual up. There is still more to go, but that is enough for now. Most of the important stuff is there, with wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams, etc.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you find any more bad ones, and I will try and correct them. I fixed a few that I spotted right away. I had to replace the memory in my Windoze computer.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: