Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine temperature
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Engine temperature Reply with quote

Something I have always wondered about. How do you know if the engine is running too hot?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need an oil temp gauge and a head temp sensor.

You can get a general feel for it if everything inside the engine compartment is excessively hot....excessive smoke from the oil when you open the filler....and excessively low idle with, D-jet due to hugh bead temps. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: engine temperature Reply with quote

Could you give me some clues on installing the gauges? I've never had a problem, but that has always been a concern. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: engine temperature Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Could you give me some clues on installing the gauges? I've never had a problem, but that has always been a concern. Bob

Do some searching in the bus forum...there is a thread in this right now about CHT install. There are a, few ways to do this and more than one brand. You can use VDO gauges for oil temp just fine.
Aeromech and many others pictures of the oil temp. sender unit installed in the round cover on the passenger side of the engine pan. It needs to be shielded from the airclow slightly as well. This is general overall sump temperature. You may find temps 10-25 degrees cooler right at the oil cooler and slightly hotter right at the pickup. The taco plate location will give you an average somehwere in between.

The CHT comes in two basic varieties......compensated with true temperature readings and uncompensated like the VDO unit. The VDO unit is onoy truely accurate at room temp of about 72f. As it gets colder or hotter in the cabin of the car.....the temp reading is off proportionatly. Some get along fine with the VDO by testkng and knowing the exchange rate...others use a Westach unit or other brands that are compensated.

Time for a little research. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: