Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking through the paint job, interior, jambing, exterior
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Thinking through the paint job, interior, jambing, exterior Reply with quote

Well, I'm getting close to bc/cc. I am in the final stages of blocking primer. I'll be using Glasurit 55 line spraying L243 Diamond Grey metallic on my 59 bug. It is a light green/bronze color. It is my first paint job (other than the primer I've sprayed) and I'm well aware of the drama associated with metallics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My questions really pertains to the order of the paint job and the differences jambing takes on when applied to a bug.

I plan on doing the underside, engine compartment, trunk, inside fenders and fender wells (up to the fender bolt holes) all at one time. Hang doors, painting the interior, inside door, and door jambs next (factory painted screws). Attach hood, decklid, and exterior fenders (with long bolts/stand offs) and painting the exterior all at once.

1) I will be doing my interior and jambs at the same time. I plan on masking off the majority of the exterior to avoid excessive overspray. The way I look at it, there is no clean break for the paint from jamb to exterior so I have to some overspray on to the exterior. When jambing, is this correct? For example, on the top of the door opening do you paint up to the drip rail? Or near the striker plate do you paint to go past the edge onto the outside quarter panel by a small margin. I will end up painting it again when doing the exterior but not sure how to get a smooth transition otherwise. Just scuff with a scotchbrite and paint over bc/cc for the exterior step?

Once the jambs are done, hang the doors and use either back taping, folded edge taping, soft edge tape, or foam tape to prevent overspray from entering the jamb. Easy enough. But how do you prepare the exterior area you oversprayed on the interior/jamb session?

2) I'd like to hang doors and paint with them on the car, but with the body off the pan how do I adjust the doors so they won't need adjusting later thereby ruining the painted over screws that require movement?

3) Since our doors have a rather large 1/2" "folded edge" all the way around, do you paint the edge when jambing/inner door step or when doing the exterior portion? If during the jambing session, then again what do you do with the overpsray on the outside of the door before painting the exterior?

4) On a few small areas (some a few mm, others maybe 2in square) the primer filler has been sanded very thin to achieve a level surface. To the point where I can see metal. Should this be a concern putting a bc/cc over what is more or less bare metal?

I plan to mount the hood and decklid and prop them up a few inches so I can get paint onto the rubber seal retaining strips. I will have already painted the hinges, screws etc.

I'm just trying to figure out the steps and order I plan on going in to avoid mistakes and make the complicated color turn out decent.

Or am I over thinking it? I could just go out there and start spraying away Shocked

Anything else I'm missing with my thought process?
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: