Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration time?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quintenebersole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Restoration time? Reply with quote

Ok so my 74 bug has been taking me three years as of last month. i have mostly been working on the body to. Please keep in mind i got this for 700$ and i did not know what i was getting my self into. Here is what ive fixed so far

rebuilt the complete front part of the frame
rear quarter panels
door hinge pillar
patched lots of holes welding and with bondo
floor pans
heater channels
Fixed a huge dent on the drivers side door.
I have to redo the wheel wells because i didn't make them long enough the first time around. Then i can weld in the heater channels and move on to paint.

So my question is how long should a restoration of this take? How long has it took some of you guys to do your first big project? I am doing alot of my own customization so its definitely not stock, but still doing it the right way! ill give your more varibles to take into consideration when giving a answer. Im 17, only have about 100 every two weeks to spend on this project. about 95% of the work i do myself.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending how bad the car is, a shade over a year is average.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never too soon to start stripping some paint with a wire wheel etc & using filler on the dents. Buy some longer sanding blocks, so the dents disappear better. Bodywork can take a long time to get perfect! Evil or Very Mad
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use every type of safety equipment needed, glasses ear plugs ,mask ,jack stands ,ventilation ,common sense ,etcetera. Speed is the least important factor in your situation. When you have some spare time , try to do some quality work on your vdub.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all - good for you! You are learning a lot about your car, developing skills and learning a lot about life (hard work, saving, budgetting, planning).

As far as build time there is no hard fast number. Theres a resto shop that I had used for some paint and body work on a previous project. The cars in his shop have birthday parties and many of them.... I have done a project that spanned 4 years and have built cars in a couple months.

It really gets down to how good and fast you are and how much time and money you have. Perfect example is the current project (radical custom). I have final body and paint that needs to happen in a couple months. If I did it, would probably take me a month or two spending 20+ hrs a week (at least). Farming this out to a pro and it will probably take him 1/4 the time and it will be a much better job.

The one thing were I see a lot of people get slowed down (me included) is not having your plan nailed down really well and then you end up going back and re-doing things. Take the time to think things through and do it right the first time.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me 3 years Laughing I had zero knowledge going in and most of the time I was on a very strict budget. Paint was my big expense, but you can get decent auto paint for MUCH cheaper in the states.

If you're just learning and on a budget, it takes a while to make head way. If I was to do it again, I bet I could do it in a year.
quintenebersole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!
That is one thing especially that im excited for is that if anything goes wrong when im done I know the whole car inside and out. I just wish i did my research before buying this vdub, but lesson learned.
I am going to give it a try painting it myself if it doesent turn out exactly how i want it then i will eventually have it professionally done. It will be a fun time when im done.
My next project is a 49 chevy fleetline so I better get learn some of the ropes!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like to do is push my skills to a new level on each project. Like I REALLY wanted to get a lot more involved with welding and fabrication and the current project was the perfect way to develope that. Try to do something similar.

And I gotta tell ya - theres a lot of decent paint jobs that come out of backyard garages. Had a neighbor quite a few years ago. Was a lineman for the electric company - not a car nut by any means. Well he ended up with the 71 Mustang that was his mothers. Was a good solid car - but needed paint. Well, Rod decided he was gonna shoot it himself. Borrowed a decent spray gun. Asked people how to do this and that. Did some practice on a few things. Prepped it and shot it. Car came out VERY well.

And the Fleetmaster sounds cool - Love that body style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quintenebersole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! That is what im hoping for. The main problem ive been having was bondo it takes me a couple times to get it smooth and perfect. I have got pretty good welding thats what im looking for in a career. A couple years back i got a nice 120 v welder and a argon tank. I also joined my neighboring schools welding class. However I have had some big troubles with the hammer and dolly, need a lot of practice. My vdub needed alot of welding so i had no choice but i love it!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinging mud is an art - try to hook up with a small shop that you can look over someones shoulder - maybe in exchange for sweeping the floor or something.

My younger brother was a master at it years ago. Had all kinds of tricks and could do the most amazing work. BUT its one of those things that take a lot of practice. Tr
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Slinging mud is an art - BUT its one of those things that take a lot of practice. Tr

It's art & science, and maybe a little magic too. To be an Artist, Scientist, or Magician, it takes a lot of practice. You're trying to become all 3, so it's gonna take A LOT of Practice. Smile

I've salvaged (& bought) hoods, doors, fenders just so I could practice welding, bodywork, mudding, sanding, painting, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Slinging mud is an art - try to hook up with a small shop that you can look over someones shoulder - maybe in exchange for sweeping the floor or something.

Yes, it is an art. I got my education from my old neighbor, as he was a master. I'd buy a case of beer, and spend hours watching and asking questions. Then, I'd do some of it myself. Took years to get where I could throw it like he did, but it was practice, practice, practice. Now, I have people asking me, since he's no longer around.
As someone who's starting out, you might want to look into leading (with leadfree lead from Eastwood). It might actually be easier for you to work with. Just a thought. Wink

Oh, and as far as to how long it takes, or should take to do a resto, only the guy who is actually working on it can know. I've restored bugs in 3 months, Notchbacks in 6 months, and a T-34 Karmann Ghia in 2.5 years. It really depends on how much TIME you can devote to the project.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job - sounds like you have completed a lot of the heavy lifting. Three years for part time limited budget work is right on track.

There is a lot of rework when you are learning and the learning curve is very steep. Don't let that stop you from moving forward. Consider this car as practice. Don't worry about getting everything perfect, your first project is going to have some rough spots. With practice, you will learn some tricks, acquire some tools, and be ready for that next project with a lot more confidence and know-how.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
quintenebersole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Ive alreadly learned that my first car is practice. Its not to bad from what some people who have done it before have told me. It'll be fun when im done. BRAAAAP. I will also look into the leading i know eastwood is a very good brand.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really good advice here from some seasoned people I will give you mine
Working on vw since 1987
Have restored completely 5 cars start to finish each progressing with quality and budget.
Average is 3 years longest was 5
Years advice is break it Into portions
Body
Brakes
Electrical
Engine
Mechanical other
Interior
Reassembly

Some areas are more time intensive than money intensive
Ie
electrical time intensive
Body time and money
Interior money and time and highly skilled
Engine money

Make a whiteboard list and work through the list.
When your broke focus on the stuff that's time intensive

Seek help from fellow enthusiasts if your good at one area trade that work for something on some one else's project.
I have traded electrical work for upholstery work
My son and I put his car together in about three and a half years my time mostly my money but he learned allot.
The absolute most important thing in restoration is to follow a plan and finish one thing before moving on to the next major part or at least have things at a stopping point. I have bought a bunch of cars that were taken apart because they were going to be restored and parts got lost as well as interest and I paid very little for the car. Don't let your project overwhelm you and lose interest.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not help you....because I'm working on something different. Mine has been a 13 year projext. Actual amount of time for serious work.....about 7 years. Its a VW 412. There are virtually no parts available to buy. Its been about 60% fabricayion and 40% research and design into what to fabricate. It may be back on the road this year.

It depends on what it is and what you are doing to it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Todd said, stage the work out so it doesn't become a never ending story, allowing you to focus efficiently on one job at a time, then move on. I made body maps for when I was doing the body work on my car, breaking the car up into zones. I would check off each zone when I thought I was done, and move to the next numbered zone. Before I did this, I was just haphazardly jumping from one part to another, and felt like I was making no progress.

A year + in, and you'll start to feel like it will never be done.

I would also use an image to keep me going. Car projects that lose focus always wind up being a storage space for junk; old clothes, books, boxes, maybe bags of empty cans and bottles... When I would take a break for whatever reason, and NOT have a strong desire to get back out and continue, I would imagine my bug stacked with all that crap like a million other stalled projects, and that would scare me back into action.

Hey... It worked for me!
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: restore Reply with quote

Both cars I restored (73 standard, 71 super ) took me a little over 3yrs each. Both full body off restorations. Took my time and did everything right the first time. Good Luck. Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: