Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery...solved? Chuggy, lurchy, when low on fuel.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Mystery...solved? Chuggy, lurchy, when low on fuel. Reply with quote

Hi all, here is a mystery I may have figured out.

73 square, FI, recently rebuilt 1600 engine, work done by a good shop. 300 miles on the engine, check up with the shop at 100 miles. Ran like a champion all of those 300 miles.

A couple weeks ago she started giving me some attitude when I'd start driving, like out of first gear, peddle pressed, engine response not immediate, then maybe some lurch or chug. Same into second gear, not as noticeable above that but still kinda not right and not with the previous power.

After a few days it got better and was back to normal. I figured there was something in the fuel line that worked itself out? Didn't think about it again.

Until today, same symptoms. I start looking on here for answers, make my list of things to check, then realize I need to put gas in her. This reminds me that last time I'm pretty sure I was low on gas too. (like, almost to the red, but not in the red, I wasn't OUT of gas.) And it just rained in the past couple of weeks and it has barely rained since the engine rebuild.

I read somewhere about gas being lighter than water so if there is water in the tank it would collect in the bottom of the tank, does that sound right?

So when I'm low on gas my engine starts acting up, does this sound like maybe there is water in my tank? I just went and put gas in the car and she was noticeably better (though not perfect, but I only drove about a mile home, so maybe if there is water in the lines that wasn't enough of a run to work it out?)

I can't remember if it rained before the last episode. If it did, maybe my gas cap is somehow leaking? Seems odd. Or maybe water in tank from condensation?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, also, maybe related but I don't know how, the rubber....boot? gasket? shoe? around the gas cap inside the fuel door is loose and cracked and not in good shape at all. It doesn't seem like that could be letting water in the tank, but maybe it's worth adding.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the overflow/filler seals are vital to a FI car. Dirt and water will find their way in, including from splash under the fender. The lowest point in the fuel loop is the motor, which can be destroyed by dirt and water. Jim Adney makes a better-than-OEM kit you should install as soon as possible. Also, if water got in, your fuel sock may be rusted or clogged, and your fuel filter may be closed up due to absorbing water.

I recommend you buy lots of new FI hose and clamps, and change out the lines up front, the filter, and the filter sock, flushing out the tank while you are at it. Otherwise you may continue to fight this problem and perhaps have to replace the pump.

I presume they already replaced the rear fuel lines as part of the rebuild, but check those, too.
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks KTPhil, does the problem sound like maybe i have water in the bottom of my gas tank in your opinion? i found a filler collar on ISP West, but would love a link to the one you mentioned as I couldn't find anything. will definitely fix that collar soon and replace the lines and empty the tank up front.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshivore wrote:
but would love a link to the one you mentioned as I couldn't find anything.

Contact Jim Adney at [email protected] for the kit KTPhil mentioned above.
Sounds like you probably have a clogged or partly clogged in tank filter sock. To replace it requires draining the tank, and removing the big nut and the parts being held in place. Make sure you have a new washer kit before you take it apart. WW has them in stock most of the time.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have sediment in the tank obstructing fuel from getting into the "bowl" surrounding the tank outlet.

The bowl was put in later model tanks to prevent fuel from sloshing away from the outlet at lower fuel levels.
But, over the years, scale and sediment can clog the small openings from the bowl to the rest of the tank, causing the symptoms you describe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everybody. today my car ran great. it had a half a block of chugging and lurching when it started up, but was great the rest of the day. this on again off again symptom, which doesn't happen at idle, is so odd.

thanks for the tips, i will get the needed parts for tank cleaning, filler collar replacement, fuel line replacement and whatnot.

any pro-tips on those jobs? i have a sad history of occasionally breaking things that didn't need to be broken. Smile
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "Pro Tip" is don't try to pull all the old fuel lines out and then have to try to figure out where everything went. Just go through and do one section at a time! (Also don't do it with a full tank of gas! Empty it into a gas can first.)
Other than that it is a fairly straightforward job.

Maybe call around a few places to see who has the cheapest FI line, since it can get pretty $$$ at some places.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to buy fuel injection hose, just reinforced rubber fuel hose like Gates/Goodyear. Strain your gas through a T Shirt to filter it for reuse.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You don't need to buy fuel injection hose, just reinforced rubber fuel hose like Gates/Goodyear. Strain your gas through a T Shirt to filter it for reuse.

If he thinks he has water in it, he might want to save it for degreasing things instead of burning it in the car.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
Maybe call around a few places to see who has the cheapest FI line, since it can get pretty $$$ at some places.

There are plenty of good deals on Amazon, like this one......25' for $23

http://www.amazon.com/HBD-Thermoid-SAE30R7-Premium...+fuel+line
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You don't need to buy fuel injection hose, just reinforced rubber fuel hose like Gates/Goodyear.

Opinions vary... it depends on the quality of the "non-FI" hose you buy. Some will not handle the ethanol and other fuel additives that were not used back when these cars were new. All FI hose is rated for blended fuels and all current additives. You take some chances with non-FI hose. It is alleged that the OEM German braided lines do not hold up with today's fuels.

While the pressure of the VW system is too low to demand FI hose, but the stuff in today's gas might. Rather than experiment, and considering all the labor that goes into replacing it, I just bought FI hose. But if you have a source that has worked well recently, then go for it.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gates 27340 Barricade is rated high enough pressure for the FI system

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-27340-Barricade-Fuel-Line/dp/B0053OSB90

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: