Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust repair, Rockers and more!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Rust repair, Rockers and more! Reply with quote

Its been a long road, but so far I've got the Body off the Pan! Its a start. Found some other areas that need replaced/repaired while Ive got it apart. Surprisingly its not as bad as I thought! Right now the plan is to replace the Inner and outer rockers on both sides. Fix the large hole on the rear fender, and the one on the front fender. I am just trying to knock out the major stuff right now, as We are about to move back to Washington in December. Hopefully once home, I can find someone to help build a roll cage.
Starting ride height. Lets see how this changes with an adjustable beam, 2x2 rear arms and a 3" body lift!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Body off and braced. You should have seen it. I wrestled that beast onto the sawhorses myself. (not my smartest moment)

Pans off, waiting to replace them. If anyone ever wants to use fiberglass pans, let me have a few words with them. Also Bondo should be against the law!

Surprise rust issues. Luckily the local shop had the piece.

The real kicker was this Gem! The P.O. built up enough Bondo and newspaper you couldnt see it! On a side note, If anyone is looking for a copy of the classifieds of the Honolulu Star from September 6th 2006, I can hook you up, some bondo included...

Ive only owned this beast for 6 years. Sadly its the car Ive owned the longest. Now its getting a lot of much needed love! Stay tuned for the next exciting installment!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun build going there. Looks similar to mine and heading for similar off-road look etc.

just my two cents on roll bar.

I looked around and even spoke with a hole in the wall individual off-road shop about making my roll cage. Once I got the quote, I headed a different direction.

I was able to buy me a new tool and make my own cage, step bars, front and rear bumpers. Tool cost me few hundred dollars less than the quote for just the cage. I ended up with much more and got to keep the tool for future use. Yep, it has paid off. Not sure if an option for you. but something to consider.

here's my bender. hydraulic compressor operated and mobile. it did come unassembled.

good luck on project. keep the pics coming

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love my own bender. I just suck at welding tubing and don't trust my welds. I might bend my own and tack it. And have someone else weld it.

I've used your Thing and SaddleSore's as inspiration. I'm going for a fun car the family can go explore in.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see how other Things were repaired in worst shape then this by me and my brother Ron Domeck go to our website at http://kubeltreffen181.com you will see Things with both inner and outer rocker panels replaced maybe you will see what you are getting into and it will help you with your repairs hope our site will help that is why we have the site. The pictures of the panels are under a Thing under restoration
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot about you guys! You are my "Thing Heros!" My wife bought me this Thing when we moved to Hawaii as a way to make up for selling my Baja. It's followed me across the ocean and now the country. Time to fix a little rust. And get ready to move back across the country again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: