Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggested wire gauges
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Suggested wire gauges Reply with quote

Ok, had enough of waiting for new engine case to arrive, and decided to tackle a couple other issues that bother me. The first is, my control panel REALLY starts to bother my right outer lower leg on about mile 230. I decided to move the entire panel to an overhead position. Two gauges, oil and volts, Ignition switch, headlight switch, horn switch, and indicators for left and right turn, and high beam.

I'm going with a 10 gauge Batt wire, and I have a bundle of 18AWG wires in their own sheathing. I am using 18gauge to trigger headlight and horn relays that will be mounted remotely behind seat(probably behind seat, this may change), so no big deal there. What I need to know is:
is 18 gauge wire big enough to use as a starter solenoid wire? (let's say the distance is 15 feet)
is 18 gauge big enough to drive the coil?

I think they are, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested wire gauges Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
Ok, had enough of waiting for new engine case to arrive, and decided to tackle a couple other issues that bother me. The first is, my control panel REALLY starts to bother my right outer lower leg on about mile 230. I decided to move the entire panel to an overhead position. Two gauges, oil and volts, Ignition switch, headlight switch, horn switch, and indicators for left and right turn, and high beam.

I'm going with a 10 gauge Batt wire, and I have a bundle of 18AWG wires in their own sheathing. I am using 18gauge to trigger headlight and horn relays that will be mounted remotely behind seat(probably behind seat, this may change), so no big deal there. What I need to know is:
is 18 gauge wire big enough to use as a starter solenoid wire? (let's say the distance is 15 feet)
is 18 gauge big enough to drive the coil?

I think they are, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Probably not.....18 gauge is ok for sensors and control of relays.....But I would use at least16 gauge for any tail/turn/marker lights and14 gauge for coil circuit and for headlights..... These are my minimums and it does not bother me to go one size larger....

Wire sizes are predicated on amperage load and voltage drop in circuit.... Coil circuit is critical, if voltage drop is to much coil will no fire effiently and it will rob you of power...

When I was in work world, we had saying "when in doubt go larger gauge wire" ... Wire sizes larger than required are usually not much of a problem, but to small and it may go up in smoke, and it will happen when you are 10 past "nowhere"...

Tyring to cut corners with electrical and its a sure ticket to grief...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dale. The ignition coil circuit is the one I was worried about. I don't want to run a lot of heavy wire into the overhead console, so I'm going to look into running another relay for the ignition circuit.
All the lights are going on relay circuits already, so one more relay on the block won't hurt me.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18ga is DEFINITELY too small for starter relay wire.

But if you are already running a 10 ga for power, I see no problem running a couple of 14 ga for coil and starter. It's not as if it's going to make the car top heavy. You could maybe fish the wires through holes in the roll cage too. Be sure to use grommets if you do that though.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the point. I want as little wiring overhead (small wires as opposed to large wires). I can run small overhead wires and use them to trigger relays behind the seats. I'm not a fan of running things inside roll cage. That merely weakens the cage as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure what size I needed for starter relay.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
That's the point. I want as little wiring overhead (small wires as opposed to large wires). I can run small overhead wires and use them to trigger relays behind the seats. I'm not a fan of running things inside roll cage. That merely weakens the cage as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure what size I needed for starter relay.

Actually the FAA allows holes in a 1.5" structural tube as large as 3/8". I'm not a fan of relays as they add complexity, something else to fail, and cost.

My old Hi Jumper offroad race champion buggy (avatar) has such wires for the lights inside the cage tubes and got endoed while flat out in 4th gear. Quadruple flip and no damage to the cage AT ALL!

For a wire run from the starter switch direct to the solenoid on the starter 14ga works great. For wiring from a switch to a relay, 18ga would probably work OK.

If you're gonna use relays, whether on the street or in the dirt, I suggest they be mounted inside of a sealed box with grommets, etc. to keep out dust, water and mud. In a car used hard offroad, I've observed trouble with the relays shaking loose and having trouble with poor connections.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any application like off road, yes you probably need some way to clamp relays to socket .... Even a zip tie around relay body and socket would be good...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using leftover stuff when i can on my baja and running 1/0 gauge for the starter via a ford style solenoid mounted near the battery (which is getting moved outfront for a little better weight balance (my battery and tank are currently in the backseat)...and 2 gauge for the alternator with a mega fuse. its overkill, but honestly i wouldnt want to go much smaller. (im using 2 gauge for the ground too, although if i had more 1/0 id use that.) If everything in the switch panel is run via relays, your overhead switches should only need smallish 14-16 gauge wires since they are only taking a small load.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14ga will carry all the current for all the things he wants to wire overhead without using relays at all.
SoCalBajas Member
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that 14 gauge is probably a good "one size fits all" size wire for most wiring application...

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: