Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cross threaded my damned plug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bc59bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRP1 wrote:
RockCrusher wrote:
bc59bus wrote:
thanks RC,
Do you know what size tap is required for the spark plug?
PS; Now I know for sure, NOT to work on my sons bus at night, cold, with lite rain. Embarassed
14mm plug tap. Most of the FLAPS have a double ended 14mm x 18mm plug hole chaser hanging in the tool section.

FYI guys this is the tool I use if the top couple threads get messed up.
Internal plug chaser, it's magic when you need it most!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J4K01G/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/190-3971012-7226207

SPR1,
Now, thats what I need. Thanks for the info guys. Just need to find one here in the bay area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a slick tool.........good to know, thanks.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bc59bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Happy days, found one KD 3545 Internal thread chaser 14 mm. Let's see the magic !! (85 bucks Shocked but if it works, well... $$ well spent)
SRP1 many thanks

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What length 14m x 1.25 time sert insert are you guys using? 11mm?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my mofoco's is a bitch to thread the plug into.I dont have a clue as to why.Ive checked it out it all looks fine.I wich these vw had steped plug holes to help keep em straight when putten them in .hmm a steped plug would be nice too. I have found that some time,some cookies,a cold non alcohoolic drink and some shade helps a lot.and of corse dont put a rench on the plug till you have screwed it in atleast 5 turns by hand/fingers/hose. I think Ill make some new cylinder covers(aka tin) that are like the early porch ones where the entire end (with the spark plug holes in it)comes off easely.that way I could get the holes where they need to be and have them seal to the head like thay should.(not realy seal they need about a .040-.080 gap, not the gaping holebig wide open non fittingworth a crap,and yes this go's for oe tins too.) the bergermans shroud of turincars I re did had over a 1/2" gap for the air to escape along the entire head serface at the valve cover end.it's kind of easy to see why those shrouds dont work so well when you have a look at whats goin on or not going on in there.there a pain to fix but probably worth fixing if you have one.and some look better than the some of the vw ones do.but the price should be around $200~300 for the setup including alt&mounts, pullys.IMHO.oops getting off track a bit.I use oil on my sparkplug threads too.and dont leave loose or too tight.remember the aluminum expands more than the steel plug does, so it may get loose over time, and need a little snug.or might not.and the expanding&contracting works on the threads too.so it's not just instaling&removing the spark plugs that wears on the threads but also the heat cycles take thier toal.( not to be confuzed with the eviel troal rideing on her menstrial heat cycle.)
White Trash Renegade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number 1 cylinder blew the plug out with an insert attached to it. After I pulled the motor out I found the plug stuck in the fan! I looked in the plug hole and the threads were completely gone. Trying to avoid buying a new head or heads even though I know that is whats gonna need to happen eventually. So now I need to find a distributor for time-sert. does anybody know if you can buy them online anywhere?
HOTMOPR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Trash Renegade wrote:
The number 1 cylinder blew the plug out with an insert attached to it. After I pulled the motor out I found the plug stuck in the fan! I looked in the plug hole and the threads were completely gone. Trying to avoid buying a new head or heads even though I know that is whats gonna need to happen eventually. So now I need to find a distributor for time-sert. does anybody know if you can buy them online anywhere?

This is exactly what happened to me blew out the plug with the insert. Can it still be repaired with another insert? Threads are gone in the head.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used those sparkplug repair inserts from auto zone/ advance auto with success. those are the solid black inserts, NOT THOSE DAMN HELICOIL SPRING THINGS. those are for bolts only, not sparkplugs!!! but the black ones I've used with the motor still in the car. I just use bearing grease on the cutting tool thingy, do a turn, pull it out, clean the shavings off, regrease, do another turn, repeat. screw the insert in, use the spreader tool, hammer it lightly which spreads it out, and bites the head. and I've never had one come out. Sometimes, i'll smear the threads of the insert in JB weld before I screw it in, just to be safe. I dunno why people say it doesnt' work under heat. I've used JB on combustion chambers that had bad nicks, and filed them smooth, and its always stayed in tact.
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
HOTMOPR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to try that. I emailed timesert and they want 270$ for their repair kit. Hell Id rather buy a new head than do that. Unfortunatly that isn't in the plan right now..
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB Weld is good to 550 degrees and loctite good to 500 degrees.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW

I had trouble with one spark plug, first thought I cross threaded it.

Bought an inverse thread chaser, nice tool and not expensive, to find out
there was a damaged helicoil on that thread *damn*

I'll remove the head and put a 11mm deep copper Time-sert on there, cry once, you know.

Moral of the story: never ever use helicoils on spark plug threads Crying or Very sad
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perello wrote:
there was a damaged helicoil on that thread *damn*

I'll remove the head and put a 11mm deep copper Time-sert on there, cry once, you know. Moral of the story: never ever use helicoils on spark plug threads Crying or Very sad

This happened on my 1835cc engine about 7 years ago, the head rebuilder in the mid-1980s put helicoils all around. See my earlier post in this thread, I used a solid threaded insert to fix this (not a Time-Sert, which is consided the best, and I didn't pull the engine either). The threads cut for the helicoil and the solid threaded insert threads were the same.

I've used a solid threaded insert on #2 on my 1835cc engine for several years now, no issues.

I installed this while the engine was still installed. The insert kit will come with a tap if you have stock thread heads. This can be done with engine in the car. Use an insert the same length as your spark plug threads.

1. Use grease on the tap. After tapping, remember to clean the newly-tapped threads very well, with aerosol brake cleaner or solvent on a Q-tip applicator.

2. Use red Loctite on the insert's outer threads.

3. Use a little Never-Seize lubricant on the spark plug threads. Thread that into the solid threaded insert.

4. Thread into the cylinder head.

5. If the insert ever comes out when you change a spark plug, transfer it or a new insert to the new spark plug and re-install.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using either copper or nickel anti-seize compound on my spark plug threads since 1976 and I've never had any issue with it.

I use a liberal amount of anti-seize compound and make sure it's worked into the threads and then wipe off the excess. I'm careful not to get any anti-seize compound on the electrode insulator.

With 14 mm spark plugs with 12.7 mm long threads, I torque the spark plugs to 18 ft lbs, which is equivalent to 21.5 ft lbs with dry threads.

I ALWAYS use a thread chaser and clean the threads in the cylinder head before installing the spark plugs. I can usually screw the spark plugs in almost all of the way by hand. If the spark plug holes are clean it should be difficult to cross thread a spark plug.

Scott Novak
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed the plug thread

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: