Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rich's 62 ghia build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich62ghia wrote:
Im not far off starting the car, and filling the tank, but not sure if I should use a fuel preserver in the tank. Does anyone know how long it takes for fuel to go off. Im thinking that I will use what I put in, in the next 3months or latest 6months if I get distracted. Is there any down side to using a fuel prever/stabiliser?

Rich, I don't have any experience with using fuel preservers, but I do know the 'life' of standard 91 fuel is more like 2-3 months, nowhere near 6 months. I found this from the fuel going off in my lawn-mower tin!

Might pay to research the Caltex/BP etc websites, there may be a difference with the premium 98 fuels.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angus, I think I will err on the side of caution and use some. Do you know if there is any down side, cant really find any on the net
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After struggling with getting the brakes bled and get a pedal, I turned my attention to the engine and reached a milestone last weekend. I ran the engine and broke the cam in. After a nervous 20minutes at 2000rpm, on only 2 cylinders(later found 1 and 2 plug wires swapped), the engine is running. Some pics from last weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the engine in at pretty much final weight, ride height for me is pretty much perfect. Heaps of ground clearance, more than 6 inches, May need to adjust passenger side a little but I will do after it is registered.

Fired up the engine, with my little helpers, and struggling to read the tacho with my failing eyesight. At first the engine was misfiring down low and only running on 3 and 4. I thought it must have had a blocked idle jet, but later found I’d crossed the wires. Its funny how intense those first 20minutes are, hoping that with an engine built with a spare 20minutes here and there. You remembered to tighten all those nuts, and that you’d spent enough time cleaning all the oil galleries.

This weekend I was able to tune the carbs, the engine runs nice and I am now able to drive it in and out of the garage, much easier than pushing. I also made up and fitted a bracket for the reversing light.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have been away on the Forum and checking your Ghia really gives me that drive to work in my KG (aka Mickey) again! Your procedure of narrowing the front beam is stunning, buddy!

Congrats!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gazzarovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st of all, allow me to say that you've done great work out there
Really wonderful
Then, your work is so inspiring to me, today was my first day moving from reading to getting down my recently bought 67 KG, and I was really disappointed.
Nothing major, but I felt that lots to be done, and I'm limited to resources "hence we don't have those custom made parts in Egypt"
But after going through your work, and how you "hand made" most of it, I got the spark back to my eyes
Really thanks for sharing, and wishing you great finish for your great project
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
Wow, I have been away on the Forum and checking your Ghia really gives me that drive to work in my KG (aka Mickey) again! Your procedure of narrowing the front beam is stunning, buddy!

Congrats!

Glad to be of motivation DONGKG hopefully Mickey isnt off the road to much longer.

gazzarovich wrote:
recently bought 67 KG, and I was really disappointed.
Nothing major, but I felt that lots to be done, and I'm limited to resources "hence we don't have those custom made parts in Egypt"

Thanks gazzarovich, and congrats on the 67. Even with custom parts you will find that they need modifying to fit, it gets you by but not as good as original. Original german is the best if you can source second hand. Dont get to discouraged, they are great cars to work on and little bit by little bit you will get it done, good luck with your car
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Rich. Very Happy
Congrats on the progress to date mate, well done.....beautiful car.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sash, how is yours going? Are you close to finishing as well?

Rich
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done mate.....here's some pics. A mate built the engine from the bottom end, did a wonderful job....really happy with it!!

Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Sash car looks great. Well done mate, you should be proud. Must be good to be finally driving it. I'm able to drive mine in the vacant block next door, but can't wait to be street legal. Hope you enjoy every drive Very Happy
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich62ghia wrote:
WOW Sash car looks great. Well done mate, you should be proud. Must be good to be finally driving it. I'm able to drive mine in the vacant block next door, but can't wait to be street legal. Hope you enjoy every drive :D

Very, very nice, I agree. Is that car Lotus White?
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rich. Yeah its been wonderful driving the car however had to place it in storage at the moment given lack of space at home.
Hope you get your car on the road shortly so you can enjoy the full experience these cars offer.

No the color is not Lotus White no cream, look white in the photo.
jdoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Rich, do you have any pics of your oil filter install? I'm at the point where I have to mount mine. I'm worried it's going to hang too low especially since I have a sandwich style thermostat for the oil cooler.

Is it on the road yet?
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

jdoug wrote:
Rich, do you have any pics of your oil filter install? I'm at the point where I have to mount mine. I'm worried it's going to hang too low especially since I have a sandwich style thermostat for the oil cooler.

Is it on the road yet?

Hi Jdoug, I mounted mine using one of the bolts from the rear bumper bracket on the left hand side of the car. After tightening up its very secure. Due to the high rear apron of the ghia, it does appear to hang down a fair bit and is visible from the rear. The filter I used though is huge, Im sure there are much shorter ones that would not stand out as much, but 3/4" threaded oil filters are not that common, so I was limited on filters I could use.

Even with the large filter it hangs down only slightly lower than the heater boxes and not as low as the A1 header, so Im not worried about hitting anything. You can mount at a 45deg angle which tucks it up a bit more but oil changes are a bit messier

Not rust on the seam. Its the remanants of the fishoiling I gave all the inner panels. Need to clean it one day.

Not on the road yet still a few things to do before I organise the engineer. I have been driving in the block next door though ironing out all the bugs. Took my mum for a drive about a month ago When she was visiting from Sydney.

I got my final chroming done recently for all the cast pieces. Its all OG, multiple times more expensive than repro but as I have found, so much better.

Example of repro door handles (below) Vs Original German (above)

Got my ADR approved seat belts fitted.

Door handles and window handles fitted

Found this photo on the camera when I was taking photos tonight. Its my nearly 8year old son taking a photo of my 5year old sons sun glasses showing a reflection of me talking to the next door neighbour whilst I was driving them around in the paddock next to our house. I thought it looked pretty cool.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

So the original washer system that I installed finally failed leaking water everywhere, so I set about converting to electric but I wanted to keep the stock look. I ended up following the instruction in this thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484192

I had the washer motor from an old kit, so I just drilled a hole in the lower part of the washer bottle, inserted a rubber grommet and installed the pump. The push button switch cost $1.65 from an electronics shop

I had to install a strap to secure the spare tyre as the previous owner removed the tabs.

Before I can get the car registered I have to have an automotive engineer sign off on the modifications from standard, disc brake, front beam, engine, etc. I had the initial inspection today. I have a couple of things to fix before the second inspection and rolling brake test. The only show stopper is the sound test. The test measures the dB of the exhaust from a metre away at 3800rpm. Ended up being 99dB without air cleaners and 96.5dB with. Needs to be 95dB to pass. Not that keen on changing the exhaust system especially since its pretty difficult to know what VW exhaust system would be quieter at that RPM. The engineer reckons it will probably be OK when we re-test on grass, first test was on concrete and road. The motor wasn't running the smoothest either at 3800 so will look to tune up a bit as well. Looking to organise the second inspection in the next couple of weeks.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

On the engineers to do list was to obtain a weight certificate from a weighbridge, which required the ghia to be driven there. So today was its maiden voyage on the road Very Happy . The family followed me there and took a video which I hope to post once I work out how to.

Although not registered yet, you are able to drive on the roads here provided its for the purpose of obtaining registration. Though you are not covered by any insurance, so I was more worried about other cars than the boys in blue(police). I drove the ghia to the weighbridge early in the morning to avoid the traffic. The engine, brakes, clutch all worked well, steering was a little off but this was to be expected.

What put a dampener on the morning was a loud whine from the gearbox in all gears and neutral. It seemed to be louder the faster the car was going, and was there whether the clutch was in or not. It seems the local VW shop that rebuilt it didn’t do that great a job after all. If anyone has any thoughts on what it could be let me know, cause its driving me nuts especially not being able to do anything about it at the moment.

The engineer also wanted me to fit hubcentric spacers(cylindrical) to support the Porsche wheels on the hub as well as the lugs. But after closer inspection there is no ledge to fit a spacer to the hub.

I let him know but he seems adamant that whilst not needed on the standard steel wheels, alloy wheels needs the support as the lug nut seats wear. Has anyone had to fit spacers?? He reckons he will get back to me on what needs to be done regarding the spacers in the next couple of days, so that we can do the second inspection. All this is taking way longer than I was hoping and is looking like I wont get it registered till next month. Crying or Very sad
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Good news, engineer doesnt require the spacers, so just need to organise the final inspection Very Happy

video from maiden voyage below

Link
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Congrats! Applause Applause Applause

Great video. "look at that Ghia go!" lol.

Sounds great, and looks like a lovely drive, makes me miss the nice weather.

Also, nice to hear one of your young'uns say "I wish I was in that car". Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

My first thought while watching the video was "AH! He's driving into oncoming traffic!" Very Happy

Beautiful car.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rich's 62 ghia build Reply with quote

Special moments, especially with the whole family's involvement with "Dad's toy" and their obvious joy so evident.

Well done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: