Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust problem
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deloreanbiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Rust problem Reply with quote

I've got a 68 Sqbk that is extremely solid - EXCEPT - the rear "load deck" is essentially rusted away. The engine cover is, however, okay.

Two questions: How did this happen? What is the fix to prevent reoccurence?
Where can I find a "rear clip" (I'm told that is what I need).

Okay, so that's 3 questions - sorry. Really need help here.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is usually caused by years of leakage where the ECU for the fuel inject is installed. A lot of mechanics didn't bother to get the bottom clips back in right, and then it would leak. Also, seals around the windows can leak and the rear hatch seal. I think, if you look though, you will find most of the rust is on the left side near the ECU.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine rusted out on both sides and especially in front of the engine cover up to the back of the seat. It doesn't seem to be particularly bad near the ecu cover. ECU cover leakage is the only explanation I've ever heard.

You pretty much have to find a donor car and cut it out. When there was a solid square at the wreckers I rented a portable generator and cut it out with a sawzall. Used lots of blades. Getting a donor piece that's bigger than you think you need is a good idea if you haven't cut the damage from the car yet.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost integrety <sp> of the fender well seam sealer. John Jaransen had the fenderwell problems on his '66 Square. He just welded in new metal I think.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: