Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New wiring harness...who has done it?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: New wiring harness...who has done it? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
So as the title indicates, has anyone done a full wire harness replacement on a running and driving (ie body still on pan) Karmann Ghia?
On my 72 coupe, many of the wires have seen better days. Sadly some PO's cut spliced, hacked, etc at the wires over the last 43 years.
How bad of a job is it? Is the quality of the currently available harnesses good? I would like some insight into this job.

Thanks,
Zack
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 67 cabrio a few years ago using one of the harnesses from KGPR. Excellent quality and a straightforward install. Re- and re-'d in one weekend, but I know my way around wiring fairly well. Have an experienced buddy help or get the Vol. 9 Bug Me DVD (also available at KPGR) and have a wiring diagram available.
So nice when it's all done and working properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have basic understanding of wiring and electrics, it's an easy project to do. I did a convertible bug with a wiring works kit. It fit perfectly, had good instructions and I also used the Bentley electrical diagram as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a new one during my 58 restoration. It was a pain in the butt as its a 6 volt and everything had to be grounded. Plus I had to install all the components .

You will have a much easier install as your electric parts are already in place.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sort of like paint by numbers, connect the dots,jigsaw puzzle. All of the wires are color coded, white with red stripe , black with green stripe etc. follow the wiring diagram ton where they go and take your time. Not to scary once you have it front of you.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before install I would put the new harness out in the sun to make it more plyable, and work the kinks out.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep the correct colors on the ends of a mangled wiring harness, I staggered splices in the main part of the harness so there would be enough length at both ends of the harness for the short wires to make the required connection. Wrapped it with spiral wrap and black tape. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never done a Ghia, but cant see how it would be much different than a bug. In the middle of one right now and its not bad at all. I use Wiring Works harnesses. Not sure how many I have done at this point.....3 or 4? Biggest problems were because someone thought he didnt need to follow the instructions..... Embarassed

But every one I did was with the interior pretty much gutted. But its not required. Just that I was building cars from scratch and it makes more sense to install the harness before the carpet.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love wiring.

But what I've done is keep the factory 6v wiring as a "trigger" system for a new 12v harness where I needed to upgrade wiring sizes for higher amperage lighting, etc.

That way the old switches aren't running the voltage, and a new fuseblock added. Check my posts for more info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: