Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some n00b questions from a Beetle owner
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Some n00b questions from a Beetle owner Reply with quote

I've owned my '72 Super for about a year and a half now. I've been enjoying quite a bit but the thoughts of buying something a little newer have been going through my mind. I tried the 914 but it made a worse city car than Beetle so back to Type square 1.

So today I test drove a '72 Squareback with a non-original stock engine. Now I have some questions. I only have ze Beetle as a point of comparison so bear with me, please.

Here are a few things I noticed compared to Beetle:
1. clutch pedal was quite a bit stiffer. It picked up fine but the effort was about twice as much. Is that normal?
2. shifter was quite notchy. Bushings were obviously gone but is shifter all that different than regular Beetle's? Will Beetle's Hurst shifter bolt right in?
3. suspension was far more floaty even though I think it had 5.5 wheels on. Norma or will just need suspension work?
4. steering was very loose. Is steering box as adjustable with screwdriver or will it require a new one?

Aside from those a few general questions:
1. how is parts support and availability? Pricing?
2. how hard is that engine to service with stock FI? I noticed that the access is pretty decent but obviously some things will require underneath access
3. how are these on long hauls? This car seemed quite a bit more quiet than ze Beetle

Thanks in advance!
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Some n00b questions from a Beetle owner Reply with quote

Synchromesh wrote:
I've owned my '72 Super for about a year and a half now. I've been enjoying quite a bit but the thoughts of buying something a little newer have been going through my mind. I tried the 914 but it made a worse city car than Beetle so back to Type square 1.

So today I test drove a '72 Squareback with a non-original stock engine. Now I have some questions. I only have ze Beetle as a point of comparison so bear with me, please.

Here are a few things I noticed compared to Beetle:
1. clutch pedal was quite a bit stiffer. It picked up fine but the effort was about twice as much. Is that normal?
2. shifter was quite notchy. Bushings were obviously gone but is shifter all that different than regular Beetle's? Will Beetle's Hurst shifter bolt right in?
3. suspension was far more floaty even though I think it had 5.5 wheels on. Norma or will just need suspension work?
4. steering was very loose. Is steering box as adjustable with screwdriver or will it require a new one?

Aside from those a few general questions:
1. how is parts support and availability? Pricing?
2. how hard is that engine to service with stock FI? I noticed that the access is pretty decent but obviously some things will require underneath access
3. how are these on long hauls? This car seemed quite a bit more quiet than ze Beetle

Thanks in advance!

Here are some responses:

In my experience, a Beetle drives like a clown car compared to a Type 3 but I have a standard Beetle, not a super. The Type 3 front end is longer and a bit heavier than on a Type 1 so it isn't as goofy in strong winds and truck traffic. The built-in sway bar and four rubber bushings give it a stronger feel.

The shifter on my Beetle is actually tighter than on my Type 3.....the throw is shorter seeming while on the Squareback, there's a fair amount of slop in spite of new bushings all around.

The clutch pedal is softer on my Type 3 than on my Type 1. Don't know why. I prefer the softer pedal though.

The steering box on my Type 3 (a Brazilian TRW box) is a piece of shit and needs to be replaced after less than 2 years. It only holds an adjustment for a few months at a time. Steering boxes are the same on Type 3's and standard bugs. Super beetles had a different box though.

Parts support, availability, and pricing......I've always been able to get everything I've needed, just not always as quickly as in Type 1 land.

Not sure what you mean by

Synchromesh wrote:
access is pretty decent but obviously some things will require underneath access

What are you referring to? On any VW "some things will require underneath access".

Finally, in my experience on long hauls, the FI is great except for when it leaves you stranded. Lots of people will tell you that the FI is "bulletproof" but I'm an exception....Perhaps it can be, but I daily drive my FI car while few if any other people currently do. However, I do so when it lets me and here are 110 pages of how that can go in spite of all new and/or NOS parts:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514048
.65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me a Bug is a fun little car that feels like a go cart. It is light, easy to bump start in just a few feet.
All my bugs have looser feeling longer throw shifters and though each bug clutch varies from super soft to harder, my notchback clutch is very stiff compared to a Bug and the notchback shifter has a stiffer feel going thru the gears.

The notchback drives like a real car. It is quieter, more solid feeling, corners better, and has a lot more room inside.
It is more like a real car.

I do think it will take a bit more effort to get to things compared to a bug, like doing valve jobs or getting to the steering box or master cylinder.
But it looks like removing a wheel or two will make things easier to get to.

I hate to admit this after being a Bug guy for so long, but i generally like driving the notchback more than a bug especially for any long distance drives.

I don't feel any floating while driving unless my tires are low on air.

For parts I am finding it is a pain to locate some things.
Type 3 parts are not easy to get like Bug parts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: