Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

Has anyone converted their Delta Six Galley/Kitchen light to LED ?

I believe the original bulbs are halogen?... they sure get hot, and if left unattended can melt the light cover.

Just throwing this out there. Did not find anything in the forum.

I guess either a two pin bulb replacement, if one exists, or a conversion to fit on the aluminum plate.

Any input, thoughts or ideas would be helpful for those with this fixture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Freshdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixture was useless, couldnt find a direct replacement led bulb so i just removed it and added (2) 9bulb led strips wired off the old leads. Diffuser is nice and soft, warm white feels right and throws tons of light. Less power consumption too. Search ebay for this route
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to convert or modify. Tons of great options here: https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-strips-and-bars/

I have this one: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/swivel-le...itch/1230/

It is great! If you go with it just make sure you specify "warm" color when you put it in your cart. I had the cool white and it was too sterile... kinda like the oem fluorescent but way brighter. The warm option is perfect.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulbs are a G4 mount. I looked into going LED with G4 mount and the light out put was these was not very bright. Adding a 2nd G4 socket and spending $20 x 2= $40 (at the time) for 2 LEDs was the only thing close to the light out put of the OG G4 bulb. Less light and way too expensive.
I still use the G4 bulb because of the very high light output. I only use it when I have a kitchen knife in my hand prepping food. I have other LEDs for other times.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Wolpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply soldered the new LED's leads onto the bulb socket leads. Worked like a charm, kept the fixture intact.
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple of G4 LED light bulbs from China for under four bucks on ebay shipped.

Warm white 160 lumens 2 watts. These are in a silicon base, so they are a little flexible.

From my pictures they appear to be comparable in brightness. The LED does get warm, but not sizzling hot like the Halogen.

LED bulbs from China

LED warm white in fixture

Factory Halogen

LED

For those who want to keep the original fixture, and use LED, this might be an option.
I have not tested this light for any longer than ten minutes.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am putting in one of these: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80128368/

i removed the 110v guts, so it runs 12v, and also replaced the halogens with the ebay G4 led bulbs.

the PO had wired in something awful. ripping out the monstrosities gives me a lots of satisfaction. i wonder what the next guy will do.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
Has anyone converted their Delta Six Galley/Kitchen light to LED ?

I believe the original bulbs are halogen?... they sure get hot, and if left unattended can melt the light cover.

Just throwing this out there. Did not find anything in the forum.

I have a 1984 Westy Wolfsburg with the original halogen G4 bulb. I have been upgrading to led. You can replace the kitchen bulb with a Dr LED bulb from West Marine or from the Dr Led website. There are two to choose from. One is a circular disk that shines down and the other is round with bulbs arrayed around it. Both work great. The disk one shines down which I prefer. The cylindrical one is brighter than the halogen bulb. The disk one is dimmer than the halogen bulb. Both are a pleasing warm white. I bought both but prefer the disk one ($19.00) the cylindrical one is $39.00. They use dramatically less electricity than the halogen G4 bulb and run cool. I bought mine from westmarine, they even have a red led bulb now.
http://www.westmarine.com/search?text=Dr+led+g4
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would one of these not work?

http://www.amazon.ca/Equivalent-Halogen-Bi-Pin-Lig...rds=g4+led

http://www.amazon.ca/Halogen-Bulbs-Equivalent-Omni...rds=g4+led

http://www.amazon.ca/Bulbs-Halogen-Equivalent-160l...rds=g4+led
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/dome-rece...tributes/2

Very happy with it.

I put one over the engine bay as well:

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look great, and I'm hoping to run some extra wire to do a similar install over the engine bay (including that 12V outlet).

For the time being though, I was hoping to just pop out the bulbs and save the headache of an entire new install, so I actually ordered these ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00EC4JG8C?psc=1&a...ge_o00_s00 ) for the galley light, and this ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009S1DFI6?psc=1&a...ge_o00_s00 ) for the drivers map light. No idea if either will work but figured it was worth a try!
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

So the bulbs I bought for the drivers map light worked great, but the galley light was very dull.

So I bought these (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CFFFVKC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00) and they have been working great!
christopherlayton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

ditched the stock light and drilled a couple holes in both the gutter and the trim at the edge of the upper bunk and installed these with a couple of switches: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00119424/

$35 (including the switches), nice even light for the whole van, low low power consumption.

Last edited by christopherlayton on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

These are some great pics and solutions folks are posting - I noticed the alignment of the light bar to fold up table

Could there be a sticky that this goes to under Interior Lighting?
Just a thought - I'll be back here at some point to upgrade and lots of great suggestions here.
dougfrommaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

I realize this thread is a few years old, but I figure people are still reading it, since I did. If anyone is upgrading their old style 80-84 kitchen/galley light, and ditching/tossing/scrapping the old one... can you save it for me instead? I'll pay for your expenses to to pack and ship it, and maybe even contribute something to the cost of whatever you replaced it with. Smile I like my old-style light, but the plastic cover/dome is distorted from getting over heated, and I'd love to replace it if possible. If you can help out, send me a PM!
Thanks!
- Doug
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

GoWesty now makes a bulb for this fixture (I actually really like this original fixture).
https://www.gowesty.com/product/bulbs-sockets/24689/led-bulb-early-camper-interior-?v=
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

FWIW there is a guy in Arroyo Grande that has a really nice LED set up that lights the spice rack above the kitchen it taps off of that light, remote control and provides nice light. his sight is VanagoLEDS.com. the light is the full length of the rack.
dougfrommaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
GoWesty now makes a bulb for this fixture (I actually really like this original fixture).
https://www.gowesty.com/product/bulbs-sockets/24689/led-bulb-early-camper-interior-?v=

Hi kalispell365.

I saw that GoWesty bulb... though GW is pretty amazing, they don't actually make it... but I know what you mean. Smile

I didn't want to spend ~$10 for one bulb plus shipping from California, so I did some research, sifting through the hundreds of G4 LED bulbs available on Amazon.com. They're offering "free returns" now, and I like science... so I figured I'd do a bulb test. I ordered 8 different ones, including one I'm pretty sure is the same as what GW offers.

There's a lot of room in the galley fixture, so you can fit almost any size G4 bulb in there. I tried both cylindrical (corn cob) and flat disk style bulbs ranging from 2-5 W, all "warm white" (3000K). Before the test, I would have bet the 5W cylindrical bulb I bought would come out on top. Aside from the stats, it was also really interesting to handle, with the entire bulb encased in almost invisible crystal clear silicone.

Anyhow, here's what I found:
- cylindrical bulbs don't provide even lighting - there are no LED chips on the base, so it casts a shadow over half the fixture, and the fixture doesn't really have an effective reflector, so the light shining upwards is essentially lost
- the stated wattage isn't necessarily indicative of the brightness - there are many different types of LED chips, and their performance seems to differ significantly
- some get hotter than others (again, not necessarily related to wattage)
- all provide pretty much the same "temperature" warm white light, which is a little less warm than the original factory bulb, but an improvement in my opinion

The hands-down winner was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRSC8BR . The description on the website states 3W, but the bulbs are labeled 2.5W. This model was the brightest of the bunch - noticeably brighter than the 5W bulb I thought would come out on top, and probably twice as bright as the one I think was the GW bulb (and also based on how bright the bulb appears to be in the image on the GW site). Compared to the original incandescent bulb, it's a little bit brighter, but definitely not blinding. I think it's just right. And, it produces very little heat. A couple of the bulbs I tested got quite hot - but nowhere near the heat generated by the original halogen bulb of course.

I have a few extras, since they come in a 12-pack. I'll be at Buses by the Buoy (in Lebanon, ME Sept 6-8 http://www.limbobus.org/forum/index.php?topic=19030.0) if anyone else attending would like one for a couple of bucks. Shipping really doesn't make sense, since they wouldn't survive the trip in a standard envelope, and would end up costing $7-8 each in a padded envelope or box. Better to buy a pack from Amazon, keep a few spares, and put the rest in your glove box to share with your "early westy" friends when you see them!

Cheers,
- Doug

Last edited by dougfrommaine on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

dougfrommaine wrote:
I'll be at Buses by the Buoy (in Maine) this September if anyone would like one for a couple of bucks. Shipping really doesn't make sense, since they wouldn't survive the trip in a standard envelope, and would end up costing $7-8 each in a padded envelope or box. Better to buy a pack from Amazon, keep a few spares, and put the rest in your glove box to share with your "early westy" friends when you see them!

Cheers,
- Doug

where and when is buses by the buoy?! deer isle guy here...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
dougfrommaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Early Vanagon Westfalia Galley Light LED Upgrade...? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

where and when is buses by the buoy?! deer isle guy here...

Hey "deer isle guy". I just spent some time with Google searching for a reference to this year's BBTB, and it's nearly impossible to find! I don't see it listed even on the Vacationland Volkswagen Association facebook page. Anyhow, BBTB is always the weekend after Labor Day, somewhere in Maine. I updated my post with a link just now. Here are the details:

Stanagon on LimboBus.org wrote:
Sept. 6 - 8 (Fri-Sun) Lebanon, ME - Buses by the Buoy. Vacationland VW club sponsored camping event at Flat Rock Bridge campground, 21 Flat Rock Bridge Rd., Lebanon, ME 04027. Call 207-339-9465 or www.flatrockbridge.com. Your hosts, Dave, Sheila and Kevin. For more info e-mail Dave: [email protected] or call 207-353-6094 between 9-5 M-F.

Best to email Dave and ask him to put you on the mailing list - then you'll get the "official announcement", and updates, t-shirt info, etc. Hope to see you there - it's always a great event!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: