Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewiring Car With Some Things Missing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon_0_3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Rewiring Car With Some Things Missing Reply with quote

Hello everyone first thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope I can get some help. I have a 71 Super and the car was a wiring nightmare. Almost no factory switches for anything in the car. I have since got a stock 71 super wiring harness and fuse block along with a 71 turn signal and ignition column. As I am going through this and rewiring the car I am noticing I am missing some connections for things and was wondering if this will effect any of the connections and if so how should I work around these issues. First the car does not have door contact buzzer, fan motor, or rear window defrogger switch. I was wondering if missing these things will cause any issues moving forward and if so how should I correct them with out finding all of the parts? I live in WI so the car is only drove during spring and summer.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am noticing I am missing some connections for things... I was wondering if missing these things will cause any issues moving forward and if so how should I correct them with out finding all of the parts?

Are you missing the wires for the things, or do you have the wires but are missing the things?

Missing the things won't really affect anything other than of course those things won't be there or work. Generally speaking if the thing for the wiring you have is not there you simply don't connect that wiring that is specific to that thing.

If the thing is important to you then that might not be the best option Very Happy

Take the door contact buzzer for example. If you intend to add it back in later you can connect all of the wiring except the wire spade terminals that would go to the actual buzzer itself. Those you can wrap in electrical tape until such time as (if) you buy and add the buzzer, when you can simply unwrap them and connect them. Until then, your door will not create an annoying buzz when open.

If you never intend to re-add the buzzer you could also opt to simply not re-add the entire wiring circuit for the buzzer at all. You have to be careful to trace backwards only to the point that impacts the thing... power tracks can branch to provide power or ground to multiple things so caution should be used to eliminate only the portions of the wiring track that apply to the thing you're eliminating. Hopefully that makes sense. If you do this and sell the car to someone that wants that suff you'll then be that "pain in the butt previous owner". Personally, I'm okay with that. It's my car.

I completely eliminated the entire brake warning and seatbelt interlock system from my 74. Not a bypass, that crap is gone. I didn't want it Twisted Evil. On the other hand I left the wiring for interior lights and the door switches because once I find an interior light fixture that I like I intend to re-add it, but that isn't a priority for me at the moment. I simply wrapped the spade terminals at the end of the wires in the roof.

At a minimum I guess you need only the engine, gen/oil warning lights, headlight and indicator lights. Everything else is just gravy for the driver.

Good luck on your project!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jon_0_3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replay and all of that does make sense to me. I was afraid that if I left something out that I may have and open circuit someone and it would effect another connection.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: