Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 tach/speedo question
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: 356 tach/speedo question Reply with quote

Can someone clarify something for me with 356 gauges? I keep looking at interior shots of 356's and it appears (to me anyways) that the green numbers on the speedo are closer to a mint green color, while the green used on tachometers is more of a medium/light green (similar to lime green). Are the colors actually different for speedometers and tachometers, or is it an optical illusion that is fooling me? I don't have spare gauges to compare. Thanks.

Andy
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may have changed from year to year. The real purists wouldn't dream of using a 63 speedo in a 56 or vise versa. With me if they fit the hole and are close, I'm good to go Smile
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even think of that, but it makes sense. I looked at (seemingly) a million online pics of 356 interior shots and I couldn't come up with a definitive answer. I think I'm just going to "wing it" then on the color choice since nobody will ever notice the difference on a silly set of gauges anyways. Thanks for the help.

Andy
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: 356 tach/speedo question Reply with quote

I see no difference in the coloring between the instruments in either of my 356's, one a B and the other a C, and the instruments are all original to the cars. So either it's an optical illusion or you have some sort of mixed or reproduction items.
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply Jon. I actually don't have any 356 gauges (or parts) in hand except for a housing/can from a 356 tach, so I'm using google images and 356 forums to create the tach and speedo faces that I need from scratch. I'm no purist when it comes to cars, so the color being off a little won't be the end of the world. I was just trying to figure out which shade of green would be more correct so the instrument looks stock as it would have come from the factory when all is complete.

Andy
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: 356 tach/speedo question Reply with quote

It seems to me that it would be easier to look online for a used gauge rather than making your own faceplate. Either way, with the tach make sure the green and red zones are appropriate for the engine--Normal vs. Super vs. Super 90/SC.
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late! Laughing I'm about 75% done with the tach face and 50% done with the speedo, so too far along to stop or back out now. Sort of a 'back-burner" project that I've been working on for several years in my downtime, and things are quickly coming together now.

I'm using a combo of 914/924/944 gauges to build authentic looking 356 instruments, so the 356 faceplates wouldn't have worked out anyhow. For a guy that is making things up as I go, the results are looking very promising and much cheaper than real 356 gauges...but a lot more work!

As for the tach green and red zones, I'm still playing around with that to see what looks the best. The tach goes to 7,000 rpm and I don't like to take my 2276cc that high up, so 6,000 will probably be the max. I'm thinking the green range will cover 2500-5500, the red will go from 5500-6000, and 6000-7000 will just have the 100 rpm increments shown. We'll see though.

Thanks again for the input.

Andy
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. Post up a few pics...
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to post some pics up once I get a little further along (and actually have something substantial to show for my effort Embarassed ).

Andy
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are same colour on my still original 1959 356A. And I have an identical 356B T5 tacho still the same green.

Roy
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: 356 tach/speedo question Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
I didn't realize you were that far along on your project. If you haven't painted in the color ranges I would consider just ending the red zone at 6000 RPM. My 356 gauges read to 6000 RPM but the end of the redline zones is 5500 RPM (1600 Super/1600 C engines) so even Porsche didn't use the whole range, at least on the 356's.
Good luck--sounds like an interesting project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: