Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identifying original color
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Identifying original color Reply with quote

Bug I have is a bit of a mix of parts. I traced the vin on the body to April of 63, pan to 64. Car is currently white and interior is green. Neither is the factory color. In looking underneath the rear seat and in a few other places I see what I am assuming is the OG color. After looking at tons of pictures, color charts etc. I really think the original color of the body is Java Green. But based on the vin this would be a 63 and don't see this as a color option. Has anyone else run into this?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these threads- they're like sharing the moment of discovery right with the new owner. Anyway, you can look in harder places to get a good idea. Look in places a VW paint gun could spray, but a repaint likely didn't re-coat: wayyy under the dash by your feet, above the back of the dash by the wiper motor and the front bulkhead with the gas tank removed- the harder spots.

I stole this from the gallery for reference on Java Green (new for '64 model year):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Java green just didn't show up as early as your body was made- as turquoise was used straight to the end of the '63 model year. Do you mind sharing most of your VIN with us? Mark the last two digits with ** if you're concerned.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car sounds like it's already far from original so why worry about what the originality of the color? My car is a '60 body on a '57 pan. Body was originally India Red but I opted to go with Mango Green because I liked it more. It is a '60 only color but that's not why I chose it. It's your car, find a color you like and run with it.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've ran into a '66 that had had windshield clip where two total loss wrecks were put back together as one. Evidently with the car all apart the entire interior and exterior was totally resprayed in the front halves original color, and done a very long time ago so it looked vintage and correct, like a dealer or real pro did it. Couldn't tell until the rear engine tarboard was taken off.
After that, it had been customized with a cheap yellow paint job, but this is the very car...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, seems you've got little to lose, so why not rub through the green with some steel wool and spray carb cleaner, acetone or lacquer thinner until you come to the next layer of paint underneath?

If it turns from green to primer/sealer gray then steel, it might be OG paint.
If it turns from green to primer to another color, not so much chance of OG.

Either way, what's the point? The car will never be one vintage or the other, so why not use this opportunity as a positive and paint it your favorite color Smile

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More for curiosity sake. Main question was has anyone ever come across a car that seemed to have an original color that it shouldn't? I have checked several places. Under rear seats on channels, front firewall, inside trunk, engine compartment, and even came across a spot where some undercoating has rubbed off and it's under that. Just seems odd and I was curious.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: