Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW Campmobile Not Idling
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lydoog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: 1970 VW Campmobile Not Idling Reply with quote

Hey All, My Wife and I purchased a 1970 VW Campmobile about two years ago and we finally finished the restoration. Only thing I have not been able to correct is the bus to idle. I did a full tune up which include points, rotor, distributer cap, coil, plugs, and wires. I have also rebuilt the single carburator and played with the timing as well as the idle screw and still nothing. It runs great if you're constantly playing with the throttle but wont idle on its own. I found that if I keep the choke manually closed it'll idle on its own but is pretty gutless with the idle closed. When the idle is open it dies constantly. One last thing to mention is that it alway turns back on and isnt flooding or anything like that. Any Ideas on how to fix this??? I appreciate any ideas/comments. Thanks in advance! Cool
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you rebuild the carb or did you have someone else rebuild it? Was the carb rebuild just a generic replacing of gaskets?

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the solenoid on the left of the carb connected and does it click when you pull the wire off (key on)?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Is the solenoid on the left of the carb connected and does it click when you pull the wire off (key on)?

This ^^^ is what you need to check first. If the fuel cut off solenoid is working and clicking, you in all likelihood has some dirt in your idle circuit in the carb.

What carb make/model is it? Can you snap some pictures of the engine and the carb?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the same about twenty-six years ago. At the time it was cheaper to swap carburetors than to have the carb rebuilt.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
Mine did the same about twenty-six years ago. At the time it was cheaper to swap carburetors than to have the carb rebuilt.

WW

26 years ago good used carbs almost grew on trees, now not so much. And new carbs are trash right out of the box so that's not an option.

If it's not a missed wire or a vacuum leak send the carb to Tim (Volkzbitz) for some lovin', it comes back like you'd expect a new Solex to work and the price is better than the sketchy new Chinese repro. If the base number doesn't jive with your application see if he can find you the correct one, the difference is subtle but sublime.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lydoog wrote:
Any ideas . . .

Get a manual for your bus (Bentley would be best) and follow the directions for the carb you have on the engine.

Telling us you have a '70 bus doesn't mean very much these days. It's been Mix'N'Match with these engines for the last 45 years. We have no idea
what you might be working with, and you didn't let us in on the secret. Such information is CRUCIAL to getting meaningful advice.

Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lydoog,

Welcome to the samba.

If your bus is sporting the correct carb for 1970, it is a Solex 30 PICT 3.
It has an electromagnetic cutoff solenoid on the generator/alternator side of the carb. This solenoid has 12v coming from the coil, as well as 12v to the electric choke. Are these intact and functioning ?

Here are a couple pictures of mine. I also have a '70 Campmobile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lydoog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys! Sorry for the lack of info!
First off
Quote:
Did you rebuild the carb or did you have someone else
rebuild it? Was the carb rebuild just a generic replacing of gaskets?

I rebuilt it myself and it was a full kit replacing the float,needles, accelerator pump, jets, and gaskets.

Quote:

yup Ive got it connected and it does click when I pull the wire or turn the ignition off/on

Quote:
This ^^^ is what you need to check first. If the fuel cut off solenoid is working and clicking, you in all likelihood has some dirt in your idle circuit in the carb.

What carb make/model is it? Can you snap some pictures of the engine and the carb?

The solenoid is working...What do you mean dirt? In the solenoid??? That is the only part of the carb that I didn't touch... I have the Solex 30 PICT 3 like the one in Dana Champions post.

Quote:
If it's not a missed wire or a vacuum leak send the carb to Tim (Volkzbitz) for some lovin', it comes back like you'd expect a new Solex to work and the price is better than the sketchy new Chinese repro. If the base number doesn't jive with your application see if he can find you the correct one, the difference is subtle but sublime.

I have tried capping the open vaccum ports and have checked the connected ones for leaks. they seem fine...Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Get a manual for your bus (Bentley would be best) and follow the directions for the carb you have on the engine.

Telling us you have a '70 bus doesn't mean very much these days. It's been Mix'N'Match with these engines for the last 45 years. We have no idea
what you might be working with, and you didn't let us in on the secret. Such information is CRUCIAL to getting meaningful advice.

Sorry for not clarifing the specs... hopefully things will be a little clearer now.Thanks

Quote:
Lydoog,

Welcome to the samba.

If your bus is sporting the correct carb for 1970, it is a Solex 30 PICT 3.
It has an electromagnetic cutoff solenoid on the generator/alternator side of the carb. This solenoid has 12v coming from the coil, as well as 12v to the electric choke. Are these intact and functioning ?

Here are a couple pictures of mine. I also have a '70 Campmobile

Thanks for the pics...Yes that is exactly my carb and the wire is coming off the coil to the electric choke as well as the solenoid. I hear the solenoid click so I am assuming that they are functioning.

Thanks again to everyone...Any further advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the intake piping (black plastic tube) and put your phone with the flash on and take a video of the choke to make sure that the electronic solenoid is moving things as it should.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: