Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If members could rate posts...
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: If members could rate posts... Reply with quote

I don't know anything about forum softwares, or how feasible/costly it is to modify them. Or what percentage of users would actually ADOPT a new feature.

BUT What if the "QUICK SORT" options had a 3rd choice "OMIT OFF-TOPIC" that was not default but selectable. So if you don't SELECT it, the forum appears EXACTLY as it does today (DEFAULT) - no change. However, for an INFORMATIONAL thread this could be very useful to skim off the chatter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On each post there's a button members could rate every post: "ON topic -or- OFF topic" This button TOGGLES only in your own view. Other viewers see ONLY their selection (default = "ON TOPIC").

You might think this would just cause more squabbling, but CONSIDER that it's effect appears ONLY in the FILTERED view. The Squabblers will NOT be operating there, they are out in the UN-FILTERED view where their squabbling APPEARS. This may actually REMOVE some incentive to squabble.

A pertinent example is the Subaru-Zetec thread. If this thread developed NEW and useful info, members would start to value it and consequently rate it, to improve it's filtered view. As it is today, it probably would not be valued, so no effect (yet). But what if some nugget appears on page 7 ? And then a useful nugget was re-discovered on page 2 ? The thread is pointless to some because they keep up on the subject. Others, new members who recently bought a Vanagon NEED this info, it shouldn't be squelched by those who already KNOW. Other veteran members (!) who might be repeating info dated 2009, can discover from this NEW thread that the Zetec is no longer ground-clearance-challenged,,,,,,for example.

Dreaming dreaming. Just whenever I need the forum for INFO, KNOWING the answer is there but requiring hours and hours of research to find it, is discouraging. And on the other side when you put out the WORK to create a meaningful thread, it can be discouraging when your work gets polluted off-topic. It's understandable how this happens, but seems like the forum software can help the viewer filter the VALUABLE INFO.

This could be useful on non-technical threads too: "VANAGONS IN THE WILDERNESS". I love that thread and would like to VIEW it in a filtered form (like a picture gallery). Basically it would only work on threads where a number of members consider it's filter-worthy. The rest of the forum would be un-affected.

I understand that this post is not Vanagon specific and may be moved somewhere that nobody will read it. Please consider it took time, effort, and concern (about the informational value of the forum) to write it up.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is pretty "off topic", and should be filtered away.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you don't want to read something, then don't read it. God gave you your own filter (brain), use it. You don't need a computer to do that for you, or do you because of some brain defect????. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site is perfect as is, I think we can filter the message easily enough ourselves.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is posted in the wrong forum:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You fellas are aware,,,, that you had the option to skip this thread, right?

Just sayin' Laughing Laughing

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting this wishlist to the choir is about as useless as tits on a bull.

Why didn't you direct this message of your concern to the choir director?

You didn't think this out too good.
The peons in the back room don't sign the checks.
That message is taking up space that shouldn't be.
And I'm sure that folks will be searching this subject matter billions of times in the
future.

Nuts.

Drop Everett a line with your concerns, complaints & suggestions on how you want this place to be.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's currently as useless as tits on a bull (moved away). But I think a few members saw it (at least 30) and maybe some percentage of those will think of better ways to convince the site owner than I ever could.

This is 'par for the course' and I learned a little lesson there - was surprised how quickly it was shuttered. I put one full hour of thoughtful effort into it - that lasted 31 minutes.

Terry you are one grumpy fella sometimes (often) but you do have good info. Don't have to counter that, you know nobody will read this here! Laughing

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops I guess I'm wrong, the "SITE" forum gets some action !! I've never been there though.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a feature like that would require a gigantic storage overhead to record every single member's "vote" on every single post,
not to mention the time required to consult that info for every displayed post. No thanks. Most people should have already developed
an adequate ability to skim and separate the wheat from the chaff without it becoming burdensome.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Seems a feature like that would require a gigantic storage overhead to record every single member's "vote" on every single post,
not to mention the time required to consult that info for every displayed post. No thanks. Most people should have already developed
an adequate ability to skim and separate the wheat from the chaff without it becoming burdensome.

I can't even guess what the storage overhead would be for votes. Everything has a cost, but its not something I have a handle on. Could an "off-topic=1" really add up to more than a couple 4MB photos (for example)? How the system polls the members and computes the flag I can't guess, but I can see there must me some time allotted for it. And members would expect it to happen immediately. I can appreciate this is a problem.

It would only consult that info for the viewer who has chosen "Filter" and only on that one post. A computer can filter millions of times faster than a human. Viewer will wait a couple seconds when they choose a feature, especially one that could save hours. They will like it (if it can work).

I can't guess if it's workable, but as a feature it would be appreciated very much. Members who search for specific info have different needs / goals than members who do not. Ability to locate info increases the value of the resource. It would attract more members.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But everyone already has the ability to locate info. There is no doubt frustration and tiresomeness in looking through a bunch of search results for
a particular remembered post. But if one is doing that, it's because the info was not noted (bookmarked) at the time it was encountered. After a few such difficult
searches, one is likely to see the value of the rule "When In Doubt, Bookmark It!". A post bookmark will take you directly to the desired post, bypassing all the
"chatter". This website also has the valuable feature that it forces one to give the post bookmark a meaningful name, since the default title is simply a useless "Post".

It seems like this "Off-topic" proposal is an attempt to place the burden of one's personal recordkeeping on the site's servers, rather than locally where it belongs.
I don't know what others' experience is, but for me, thesamba.com is, and has been for years, BY FAR the worst performing of all the websites I visit regularly, and I am leery of adding any
features that might make the situation worse.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: