Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sandrail issues and upgrades
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coletrain93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the number stamped below the oil filler is B 625 9260.
its not that im expecting more power than it has, the issue is Ive felt the power it has and sometimes it just lacks power under the same conditions and still sounds and runs relatively the same as when it has full power. im thinking maybe something in the carb is plugged or partially plugged because when I ran it at the beginning of the year it was quite underpowered and running poorly and I tracked down the actually injector (cant remember the name for it) that goes into the throat of the carb was plugged with some sort of buildup and I couldn't clear it out so I replaced it and it ran much better
Coletrain93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so im debating either just fixing it up this winter and maybe also investing in another toy next spring or just going all in on the rail. I convinced my fiancé it would be worth it because it can also be used as a daily driver. so basically what would be the best route to beef this thing up. I want it to atleast be able to lift the tires off the ground which im guessing shouldn't be too far out of reach. ive heard of engine swaps but also seen some vw engines that put them to shame so which would be the cheapest and would the trans stand up to the engine or am I going to have to invest in that too. I don't plan to beat on it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW Bug trans was designed to handle 40 horsepower in mild street use. More hp = more abuse on the trans as well as more abusive driving such as wheelying means more tearing up the gears. Speed costs $$. How fast can you afford to go?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coletrain93 wrote:
which would be the cheapest

Your ambition and your budget are on different plains. Razz

Building a powerful bug engine is definitely doable, but much cheaper if you can do it yourself. Plenty of youtube vids out there. Watch a few and you'll see just how quickly it can get expensive!

Link
[/url]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: