Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mercedes wheels on a Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Studs were cut to 75mm and rims are the correct size from the factory to fit snugly over the snout of the hub. There are no clearance issues on the front (susp/sway bar) but I may add a 1/4" spacer rather than design new center caps, as they will not fit with the stock grease cap as is. And YES, I know they car not LT tires! They are just to get me from the car park to classroom at college paint & body class. Continental C tires will replace them.

Al
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now without spacers and custom made caps - plenty of room between tire and body.

1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
Now without spacers and custom made caps - plenty of room between tire and body.

How did you make those caps, or can they be sourced somewhere?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran them on the CNC out of 6061 aluminum. I painted them mercedes silver to get a close match to the wheels. They have enough clearance inside to not need spacers, or at least not as much spacer, to clear the dust cap and rear hub nut. I still have 1/8" spacers on the back, but only because I would only lose them if I took them off!
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
Ran them on the CNC out of 6061 aluminum. I painted them mercedes silver to get a close match to the wheels. They have enough clearance inside to not need spacers, or at least not as much spacer, to clear the dust cap and rear hub nut. I still have 1/8" spacers on the back, but only because I would only lose them if I took them off!

I asked because I put VW Heritage rims on my '78 Bus.One of the options for the Heritage rims was to have just a center cap.

But to clear my front hubs, I had the openings opened to the Mercedes size. That means that the VW Heritage center caps won't work anymore. I was thinking it would be cool to somehow have VW center caps again as an option.

So I thought if some blanks could be purchased like yours, I could stick a VW emblem on them and away I'd go!

I did find these just now. Mercedes Caps with VW Logo I'll have to see if the hubs protrude through the center opening too much to use them.

If those wouldn't work, would you be open to producing me a set of yours? You can PM me with cost, details.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

I am currently investigating the acquisition of new Mercedes steel wheels, of various diameters, widths and offsets, from wheel & tyre mail-order company; including 16 x 6J - ET36, 16 x 6J - ET36·5, 16 x 6J - ET39 and 17 x 6½J - ET39.

I seem to be spoiled for choice, so I'm trying to decide which would be the optimum wheel, given that I want to use 65-series commercial-van tyres.

195/65 R16C - 2073•1 mm (1•27% larger than 185 R14)
205/65 R16C - 2113•9 mm (3•27% larger than 185 R14)
215/65 R16C - 2154•8 mm (5•26% larger than 185 R14)

215/60 R17C - 2167•0 mm (5•86% larger than 185 R14)
215/65 R17C - 2234•6 mm (9•16% larger than 185 R14)

My plans at the moment, are to use the substitute wheels & tyres, together with a factory-stock 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 transaxle and 1911 cm³, VW 411LE based engine, in my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

I have come across a few Mercedes 16 inch alloy and steel wheels on Gumtree recently.

My favourite is a Mercedes C-Class, 5-spoke alloy wheel, but it appears to be of one of the earlier types designed for M12 wheel-fixings.

Mercedes C-Class, 16 inch, 5-spoke wheels

Mercedes C-Class, 16 inch, bifurcated 5-spoke wheels

Mercedes C-Class, 16 inch, 5-slot wheels

Mercedes C-Class 16 inch, 20-hole steel wheels

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

I am interested to learn more about the process and components needed to fit early-model Mercedes C-Class or E-Class alloy wheels (intended for use with M12 x 1•5 mm wheel-fixing bolts) to my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan?

I presently have the opportunity to buy six of these Mercedes C-Class, 16 x 7J, 5-slot alloy wheels (A2104010402) with 37 mm offset, for a total of £60 plus shipping; four from one source and two from another, both in Cardiff, South Wales

Mercedes C-Class, 16 inch, 5-slot alloy wheels

How does one enlarge the wheel-fixing holes to accommodate M14 x 1•5 mm wheel-fixing screw-studs & nuts, without compromising the strength of the wheels?

From what sources can one obtain suitably long M14 x 1•5 mm screw-studs; preferably in Great Britain?

What type of M14 x 1•5 mm wheel-fixing nuts is one likely to need with such wheels? I don't yet know whether these wheels have a tapered or radiused seat for the original M12 x 1•5 mm wheel-fixing bolts!

With a wheel of this width, I would anticipate using 215/65 R16C commercial-van tyres, whose rolling-circumference would give me virtually the same overall effective engine gearing with a 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 transaxle, as 185/80 R14C tyres would do with a 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2 transaxle.

I suspect that this would be a better match to my substitute VW 17/1800 Type 4 style air-cooled hybrid engine (1911 cc | circa 90 hp @ 5000 rpm), than a 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 transaxle and 185/80 R14C tyres.

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

Here's another set of Mercedes 16 inch wheels and 215/55 R16 - 97V tyres that I am investigating, which I think originate from a late-1990s or early-2000s Mercedes C-Class:

I think these would look quite nice on my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan; being elegantly stylish like an understated, well-cut, made-to-measure Saville Row wool & worsted suit, rather than a brash and gaudy, polyester, off-the-peg suit. In the past, I have also seen Mercedes, 10-slot cum 10-short-spoke, 15 inch alloy wheels of the same style.

I have yet to learn what the wheel-rim-width & wheel-offset are, which will significantly influence whether these wheels can be used.

I think that these would probably be designed for M12 x 1·5 mm fixing bolts, so the fixing holes will need boring out to 14·5 mm for the VW Type 2's M14 x 1·5 mm fixing studs and small-ball-seat nuts will need to be substituted.

If I were to retain the 215/55 R16 tyres, I could probably get away with keeping the factory-stock VW Type 2’s 5½J x 14 inch steel wheels, with 185 R14 Reinforced tyres as "space-saver" spares, but these would be unsuitable when I finally substitute 205/65 R16C or 215/65 R16C commercial-van tyres and I might then find it difficult to obtain two more Mercedes 16 inch alloy wheels of the matching style.

V-speed-rated tyres are probably an example of gross overkill so far as speed capability is concerned, given that my VW Type 2 will probably have an increased maximum speed of about 85 mph, with the transplanted 1911 cm³ displacement VW Type 4 style engine.

Nigel A. Skeet

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

How are you going to find tires that will fit those rims and have the proper load rating?

Be careful you don't sacrifice safety and handling for some look that you happen to like.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

Easy to find 16" tires with the correct load rating now that the Ford Transit is here. I have 195/65R16C on my Mercedes rims, and they are cheaper than 14C's.

1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
How are you going to find tires that will fit those rims and have the proper load rating?

Be careful you don't sacrifice safety and handling for some look that you happen to like.

I have NO intention of sacrificing either safety or handling. If the wheels don't satisfy my technical requirements, I won't buy them, no matter how attractive or cheap they might be!

Finding 16 inch, low-profile, 65% aspect-ratio commercial-van tyres in appropriate sizes, is NOT a problem here in Great Britain, where over the past 10 years or so, they have become almost the de facto standard for commercial vans. Overall, they are more common and probably cheaper than the 1968~79 VW Type 2's factory-standard, replacement 185/80 R14C commercial-van tyres.

195/65 R16C, 205/65 R16C, 215/65 R16C, 225/65 R16C & 235/65 R16C commercial-van tyres are readily available from most tyre factors and manufactured by a plethora of tyre manufacturers.

The 195/65 R16C is closest in external circumference to that of the 185/80 R14C tyre, but with my substitute engine and 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 transaxle, I ideally need to change my overall effective gearing to be more like that of the 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2 transaxle, which in Great Britain where 1972~79 VW 1600 Type 2s are dominant, the 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 transaxles tend to be rare and expensive. Hence, 215/65 R16C tyres will probably be the ones I eventually substitute.

16 & 17 inch, low-profile, 60% aspect-ratio commercial-van tyres in appropriate sizes, are also becoming increasingly common.

Nigel A. Skeet

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

Those Mercedes steelies are the best ones so far Cool

I always liked the look of the Mercedes W123 series alloys on Buses.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

I remember seeing this photo series a guy did on the evolution of mercedes. He took pictures of vintage mercedes and I guess he saw a late bay with some mercedes wheels on it and thought it was some old sprinter van or something. Cracked me up how he put so much time and effort into the project but didn't know a thing about the cars he was shooting. He ended up with a book full of mercedes and one late bay Laughing
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Those Mercedes steelies are the best ones so far Cool

I always liked the look of the Mercedes W123 series alloys on Buses.

To which Mercedes STEEL wheels are you referring!?!

Although these alloy wheels from the Mercedes W123 Series look attractive, I think they are of 14 inch diameter, which would probably not enable one to use low-profile commercial-van tyres, whilst maintaining close to identical rolling circumference as the VW Type 2's factory-stock 185/80 R14 tyres.

15 inch wheels would facilitate the use of 195/70 R15C commercial-van tyres, but 16 inch wheels offer much greater scope these days.

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

Over here in the civilised part of the World, there seem to be an abundance of C-rated, 60-Series & 65-Series, light-truck tyres, from various tyre manufacturers, for 15 inch and 16 inch wheels, having load-indexes in excess of 100.

Knowing how difficult it is to do general Internet searches outside one’s own country of residence, I did a quick one for you all. Here are some links at MyTyres.co.uk for a selection of 205/65 R15C, 215/65 R15C, 195/60 R16C, 205/60 R16C, 215/60 R16C, 225/60 R16C, 195/65 R16C, 205/65 R16C, 215/65 R16C, 225/65 R16C & 235/65 R16C.

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 205/65 15

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110...Show+tyres

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 215/65 15

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 195/60 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 205/60 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 215/60 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 225/60 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 195/65 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 205/65 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 215/65 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 225/65 16

Search Results: Light Commercial Truck Tyres 235/65 16

For your information, here is a reminder about relative tyre external circumferences:

185 R14 => 185/83 R14 – 2081•9 mm external circumference
185 R14 => 185/82 R14 – 2070•3 mm external circumference
185 R14 => 185/80 R14 – 2047•0 mm external circumference

185/80 R14 - 2047•0 mm external circumference

185/60 R15 – 1894•3 mm external circumference (7•46% smaller than 185/80 R14)
225/60 R15 - 2045•1 mm external circumference (0•09% smaller than 185/80 R14)

205/65 R15 - 2034•1 mm external circumference (0•63% smaller than 185/80 R14)
215/65 R15 - 2075•0 mm external circumference (1•37% larger than 185/80 R14)

195/70 R15 - 2054•6 mm external circumference (0•37% larger than 185/80 R14)

195/60 R16 - 2011•8 mm external circumference (1•72% smaller than 185/80 R14)
205/60 R16 - 2049•5 mm external circumference (0•12% larger than 185/80 R14)
215/60 R16 - 2087•2 mm external circumference (1•97% larger than 185/80 R14)
225/60 R16 - 2124•9 mm external circumference (3•81% larger than 185/80 R14)

195/65 R16C - 2073•1 mm external circumference (1•27% larger than 185/80 R14)
205/65 R16C - 2113•9 mm external circumference (3•27% larger than 185/80 R14)
215/65 R16C - 2154•8 mm external circumference (5•26% larger than 185/80 R14)
225/65 R16C - 2195•6 mm external circumference (7•26% larger than 185/80 R14)
235/65 R16C - 2236•4 mm external circumference (9•25% larger than 185/80 R14)

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

Range of Tyre Sizes on Given Wheel Sizes

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

Wheel: 16 x 6 > Tyres: min – 175 mm min | ideal – 185 mm or 195 mm | max – 205 mm

Wheel: 16 x 6 > 40 Tyres: min – none listed | 195/40 R16 ideal | 205/40 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 45 Tyres: min – none listed | 195/45 R16 ideal | 205/45 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 50 Tyres: 175/50 R16 min | 185/50 or 195/50 R16 ideal | 205/50 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 55 Tyres: 175/55 R16 min | 185/55 or 195/55 R16 ideal | 205/55 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 60 Tyres: 175/60 R16 min | 185/60 or 195/60 R16 ideal | 205/60 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 65 Tyres: min – none listed | 185/65 or 195/65 R16 ideal | 205/65 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 70 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal – none listed | 205/70 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 75 Tyres: 175/75 R16 min | 185/75 or 195/75 R16 ideal | 205/75 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 6 > 80 Tyres: min – none listed | 195/80 R16 ideal | 205/80 R16 max

Wheel: 16 x 6½ > Tyres: 185 mm min | 195 mm or 205 mm ideal | 215 mm max

Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 35 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal – none listed | max 215/35 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 40 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 195/40 or 205/40 R16 | max 215/40 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 45 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 195/45 or 205/45 R16 | max 215/45 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 50 Tyres: min 185/50 R16 | ideal 195/50 or 205/50 R16 | max 215/50 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 55 Tyres: min 185/55 R16 | ideal 195/55 or 205/55 R16 | max 215/55 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 60 Tyres: min 185/60 R16 | ideal 195/60 or 205/60 R16 | max 215/60 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 65 Tyres: min 185/65 R16 | ideal 195/65 or 205/65 R16 | max 215/65 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 70 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 205/70 R16 | max 215/70 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 75 Tyres: min 185/75 R16 | ideal 195/75 or 205/75 R16 | max 215/75 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 80 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 205/80 R16 | max 215/80 R16
Wheel: 16 x 6½ > 85 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal – none listed | max 215/85 R16

Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195 mm min | 205 mm or 215 mm ideal | 225 mm max

This wheel size is used on the Mercedes C-Class & E-Class

Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/40 R16 min | 205/40 or 215/40 R16 ideal | 225/40 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/45 R16 min | 205/45 or 215/45 R16 ideal | 225/45 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/50 R16 min | 205/50 or 215/50 R16 ideal | 225/50 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/55 R16 min | 205/55 or 215/55 R16 ideal | 225/55 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/60 R16 min | 205/60 or 215/60 R16 ideal | 225/60 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/65 R16 min | 205/65 or 215/65 R16 ideal | 225/65 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/70 R16 min | 205/70 or 215/70 R16 ideal | 225/70 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/75 R16 min | 205/75 or 215/75 R16 ideal | 225/75 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/80 R16 min | 205/80 or 215/80 R16 ideal | 225/80 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7 => Tyres: 195/85 R16 min | 205/85 or 215/85 R16 ideal | 225/85 R16 max

Wheel: 16 x 7½ inch > Tyres: 205 mm min | 215 mm or 225 mm ideal | 235 mm max

This wheel size is used on the Mercedes C-Class & E-Class

Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: No 35-Series min | 215/35 R16 ideal | No 35-Series max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/40 R16 min | 215/40 R16 or 225/40 R16 ideal | No 40-Series max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/45 R16 min | 215/45 R16 or 225/45 R16 ideal | No 45-Series max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/50 R16 min | 215/50 R16 or 225/50 R16 ideal | 235/50 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/55 R16 min | 215/55 R16 or 225/55 R16 ideal | 235/55 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/60 R16 min | 215/60 R16 or 225/60 R16 ideal | 235/60 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/65 R16 min | 215/65 R16 or 225/65 R16 ideal | 235/65 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/70 R16 min | 215/70 R16 or 225/70 R16 ideal | 235/70 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/75 R16 min | 215/75 R16 or 225/75 R16 ideal | 235/75 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: 205/80 R16 min | 215/80 R16 ideal | 235/80 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 7½ > Tyres: No 85-Series min | 215/85 R16 or 225/85 R16 ideal | 235/85 R16 max

Wheel: 16 x 8 inch > Tyres: 215 mm min | 225 mm or 235 mm ideal | 245 mm max

This wheel size is used on the Mercedes E-Class & M-Class

Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/35 R16 min | No 35-Series ideal | 245/35 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/40 R16 min | 225/40 R16 ideal | No 40-Series max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/45 R16 min | 225/45 R16 ideal | 245/45 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/50 R16 min | 225/50 R16 or 235/50 R16 ideal | 245/50 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/55 R16 min | 225/55 R16 or 235/55 R16 ideal | 245/55 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/60 R16 min | 225/60 R16 or 235/60 R16 ideal | 245/60 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/65 R16 min | 225/65 R16 or 235/65 R16 ideal | No 65-Series max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/70 R16 min | 225/70 R16 or 235/70 R16 ideal | 245/70 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/75 R16 min | 225/75 R16 or 235/75 R16 ideal | 245/75 R16 max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/80 R16 min | 235/80 R16 ideal | No 80-Series max
Wheel: 16 x 8 > Tyres: 215/85 R16 min | 225/85 R16 or 235/85 R16 ideal | No 85-Series max

Range of Wheel Sizes for Given Tyre Sizes

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

16 Inch Wheels

Tyres: 195/40 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6½ minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 195/45 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 195/50 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6 standard | 16 x 7 maximum
Tyres: 195/55 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6 standard | 16 x 7 maximum
Tyres: 195/60 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6 standard | 16 x 7 maximum
Tyres: 195/65 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6 standard | 16 x 7 maximum
Tyres: 195/70 R16 => Wheels: No wheel-sizes listed, so tyre size might not be available

Tyres: 205/40 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 7 minimum | 16 x 7½ standard | 16 x 8 maximum
Tyres: 205/45 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6½ minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 205/50 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 205/55 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 205/60 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6 standard | 16 x 7 maximum
Tyres: 205/65 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6 standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 205/70 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5 minimum | 16 x 6 standard | 16 x 7 maximum
Tyres: 205/75 R16 => Wheels: No wheel-sizes listed, so tyre size might not be available
Tyres: 205/80 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5 minimum | 16 x 5½ standard | 16 x 7 maximum

Tyres: 215/40 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 7 minimum | 16 x 7½ standard | 16 x 8½ maximum
Tyres: 215/45 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 7 minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 8 maximum
Tyres: 215/50 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 215/55 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 215/60 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 215/65 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 7½ maximum
Tyres: 215/70 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 5½ minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 7 maximum

Tyres: 225/55 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 8 maximum
Tyres: 225/60 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 8 maximum
Tyres: 225/65 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 8 maximum
Tyres: 225/70 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 6½ standard | 16 x 7½ maximum

Tyres: 235/55 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6½ minimum | 16 x 7½ standard | 16 x 8½ maximum
Tyres: 235/60 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6½ minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 8½ maximum
Tyres: 235/65 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6½ minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 8½ maximum
Tyres: 235/70 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 6 minimum | 16 x 7 standard | 16 x 8 maximum

Tyres: 245/65 R16 => Wheels: no wheel-sizes listed, so tyre size might not be available

Tyres: 255/65 R16 => Wheels: 16 x 7 minimum | 16 x 7½ standard | 16 x 9 maximum

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Here's another set of Mercedes 16 inch wheels and 215/55 R16 - 97V tyres that I am investigating, which I think originate from a late-1990s or early-2000s Mercedes C-Class:

In the past, I have also seen Mercedes, 10-slot cum 10-short-spoke, 15 inch alloy wheels of the same style.

Here's a set of Mercedes, 10-slot cum 10-short-spoke, 15 inch alloy wheels of the same style, which were recently listed on E-bay:

MERCEDES E-CLASS W210 ALLOY WHEELS 15" 7Jx15H2 ET37

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-E-CLASS-W210-AL...SwjqVZFHI6

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

Tyres of 195/65 R16 size seem a little narrow for the recent Ford Transit or Ford Transit based Tourneo, which I think use 205/65 R16C tyres. The most recent Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan & SEAT Alhambra MPVs (2012 onward, I think), are factory-fitted with 215/60 R16 tyres, with a 99 load index, but I also know of a 215/60 R16C commercial-van tyre.

Dependent upon model-year, the Nissan Primastar, Renault Trafic and Vauxhall Vivaro (said to be three virtually identical vehicles, with different badging), use either 195/65 R16C or 205/65 R16C commercial-van tyres. I think the Mercedes Vito & Viano, plus the VW Transporter T5 & T6, use either 205/65 R16C or 215/65 R16C tyres. The Mercedes Sprinter, Renault Master, Vauxhall Movano and Volkswagen Crafter use either 225/65 R16C or 235/65 R16C tyres.

If necessary, the outboard lip of the rear wheel-arch can be ground back quite a bit without compromising bodywork stiffness and resistance to flex; probably as much as 5~10 mm along the crucial horizontal section. The principal concern is going to be clearance within the main structure of the wheel-arch itself (I would not wish to modify this under any circumstances!), the spring plate (aka suspension trailing arm) and the suspension damper, which in my case is a Monroe Load Leveler with concentric variable-rate coil spring.

Monroe "Load Leveler" (part No. LL665) heavy-duty rear damper with concentric coil spring, fitted to my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=293711

With my factory-stock, 1973 VW Type 2’s 14 x 5½J steel wheels (39 mm offset) & Michelin XZX 185 SR14 Reinforced tyres in place, I measured the clearances from the wheel-rim flange (where one clips on balance weights) and widest point of the tyre sidewall, relative to outboard wheel-arch lip, the spring plate (aka suspension trailing arm) and Monroe Load Leveler coil springs; which were as follows:

Outboard tyre-sidewall to wheel-arch lip distance = 34 mm

Inboard tyre-sidewall to spring plate distance = 29 mm

(34 mm – 29 mm) / 2 = 2½ mm

Outboard wheel-rim flange to wheel-arch lip distance = 46 mm

Inboard wheel-rim flange to spring plate distance = 41 mm

(46 mm – 41 mm) / 2 = 2½ mm

Inboard tyre-sidewall to Monroe Load Leveler coil-spring = 45 mm (approx)

Inboard wheel-rim flange to Monroe Load Leveler coil-spring = 55 mm (approx)

These measurements suggested that the optimum wheel-offset for a rear wheel would probably be about 2½ mm smaller than the factory-stock 39 mm (i.e. in the range 36~37 mm, to roughly equalise the inboard & outboard clearances, without needing to grind back the wheel-arch lip. If the wheel-arch lip were ground back by circa 5~10 mm, it might be practical to use wheels of a slightly smaller offset, closer to 30 mm (e.g. 33 mm – 2002~2005 Mercedes E-Class 16 inch wheels). However, I have yet to assess other clearances within the wheel arches, which might be equally significant.

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes wheels on a Bus Reply with quote

Although at first sight, the higher load-rated wheels from the Mercedes V-Series vehicles (i.e. Vito vans & Viano minibuses) might seem to be the logical choice, their large wheel-offset of 50~60 mm precludes their use, unless wheel-spacers were used, which is an undesirable practice.

Mercedes M-Class I (W163 – 1997~2004) 16 inch, five-spoke wheels (all with wheel-fixing holes for M14 x 1•5 mm bolts), look attractive (well, I certainly like them!), are likely to have an appropriate load rating and have an almost ideal wheel-offset of 34 mm or 37 mm, but are 8 inches wide and are typically fitted with 255/65 R16 tyres.

I have come across some narrower 16 x 6 ½ inch Mercedes M-Class wheels listed on E-bay, but the large wheel-offset of 47 mm would be inappropriate:

MERCEDES M-Class W163 2000 ALLOY WHEEL SET 1634010102 113194 | 6.5J X 16H2 ET47 215/75/16 | £225.00 | Item location: Oldham, United Kingdom

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-M-Class-W163-20...SwDiBZMo~Y

I have seen these Mercedes M-Class I (i.e. W163), 8 inch wheels fitted to post-1984 VW “Vanagon” Syncros, but they would probably be unsuitable for a 1971~79 VW Type 2. The smallest 65-Series tyre which may be fitted to an 8 inch wide rim is 215/65 R16, but the ideal sizes are said to be either 225/65 R16 or 235/65 R16. One also needs to bear in mind, the effect on actual tyre section width, as a result of using wider than standard measuring-width wheels!

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/m-class/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/m-class/1998/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/m-class/1999/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/m-class/2000/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/m-class/2001/

Various 16 inch wheels from either the C-Class or E-Class cars, with 33~38 mm offsets, would seem be the most compatible with a 1971~79 VW Type 2.

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/c-class/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/

Ideally, I would like to find some reasonably cheap, Mercedes C-Class or E-Class aluminium-alloy or steel wheels, which already have the required hole sizes for M14 x 1•5 mm wheel-fixing screw-studs or bolts, but my research so far, seems to indicate that these would need to originate from post-2007 C-Class cars or post-2001 E-Class cars, but the more modern the car, the wider and larger-diameter the factory-fitted aluminium-alloy wheels tend to be.

However, 7 inches is probably the widest wheel one would wish to consider using on a 1971~79 VW Type 2, when fitting a 65-Series or larger aspect-ratio tyre; although I have heard of 7½ inches wide wheels being used! Most of the aluminium alloy wheels on the later Mercedes cars, seem to be wider than 7 inches, so I might be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, but there is a glimmer of hope, so read on!

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/information/fitting_chart/mercedes-benz

The standard wheels for the 2002~2005 Mercedes E-Class cars, seem to be of 16 x 7 inch size, with a 33 mm wheel-offset and fixing holes for M14 x 1•5 mm wheel-fixing bolts, which are fitted with 205/60 R16 tyres.

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/2002/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/2003/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/2004/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/2005/

There also seems to be a larger wheel of size 16 x 8 inch & 36 mm offset, fitted with 225/55 R16 tyres.

Several months ago, I contacted someone in Sunderland, who advertised on Gumtree at £150, a set of four Mercedes E-Class, five-spoke (bifurcated) alloy wheels with 225/55 R16 93H tyres. I suspected that both the wheels & tyres might be too wide, and the offset if different from 36 mm, might prove to be inappropriate, but they were an attractive & sturdy looking wheel design, so I thought it would be worth investigating further.

225/55 R16 - 2054•2 mm circumference (0•35% larger than 185/80 R14)
225/60 R16 - 2124•9 mm circumference (3•81% larger than 185/80 R14)
225/65 R16 - 2195•6 mm circumference (7•26% larger than 185/80 R14)

From a picture on the following OriginalWheels.com website, in Chino, Californian, USA, of what appears to be an identical five-spoke (bifurcated) wheel, I deduce that the aforementioned wheels that were recently advertised on Gumtree, are of size 16 x 8 inch & 36 mm offset. It appears they are identified by part number 65295 and are intended for the 2003~07 Mercedes E-Class III cars (W211 & S211).

http://www.originalwheels.com/mercedes-wheels/eclass2007rims.php

OriginalWheels.com quotes US$190 each, which is more than was being asked for the four wheels & tyres on Gumtree. They are very nice looking wheels, with what appears to be the ideal offset, so it’s a shame that they are probably much too wide!

If I could obtain some of the 2002~2005, Mercedes E-Class, 16 x 7 inch, 33 mm offset wheels at a reasonable price, they might well be the optimum choice; dependent of course on clearances between the wheel & tyre assembly and the neighbouring wheel-arch & suspension components. Having a 33 mm offset instead of 37 or 38 mm, would provide more clearance for the front wheels, between the inboard sidewall of the tyres and the front anti-roll bar; a problem that Lucas & Ralph van den Houten encountered, which I discuss in more detail further on.

The standard wheels for the 1995~2001 Mercedes E-Class cars, seem to be of 16 x 7 inch size, with a 38 mm wheel-offset and smaller fixing holes for M12 x 1•5 mm wheel-fixing bolts, which are fitted with either 205/60 R16 or 205/55 R16 tyres.

205/55 R16 - 1985•1 mm external circumference (3•02% smaller than 185/80 R14)

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/1995/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/1996/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/1997/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/1998/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/1999/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/2000/

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mercedes/e-class/2001/

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: