Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike things that look home made or added on.
This light looks for all the World like a factory OEM part.

(Except for the tiny wire)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnphan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had to change the bulb yet? Can't seem to get into it without peeling it off the window?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're LEDs. When they fail in one or two decades it'll be time toss it in the landfill and replace it with more modern technology (if the van doesn't head into the scrap heap first).

By the way, I think this is a terrific value and recommend it wholeheartedly.

Safety third, reliability second, good looks first. Or something like that..,

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

The Gowesty 3rd brake light seems like it is a crowd favorite. Anyone find something new on the market that they like better? It's time for me to get a 3rd brake light on my westy.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

I just bought this light that screws to the Westy shelf. The old one I had was held on with two sided tape and finally fell off. I think UV will kill any type of adhesive eventually. Same concept but now the light is held on by screws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SUQYB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's my original post from 2008 install (well before GW offered a product): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285490
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

I use a simple LED bar, about 5 bucks from the usual Hong Kong suppliers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But what I really recommend whatever light you use is a strobe unit like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ycgymjbu

It flashes the light for a bit before coming on solid. Possibly annoying for the person behind you, but I think gets noticed too.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

^this. I am using the GW third brake light with this modulator. I use the modulator on all my motorcycles, and it really gets the attention of folks coming up behind you.

When I get into a caravan of Vanagons going to some event I always get comments about how my third brake light is the most annoying and (at the same time) effective brake light ever put on a Vanagon.

If you want to really protect yourself from distracted drivers or folks following too close, install this modulator as well.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

The few I’ve seen of those flashing brake lights do get my attention.

Seems like that unit would be great if you could somehow tie it into your emergency flashers too. Always felt the stock flashers are pretty insufficient when your on the side of a freeway.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
^this. I am using the GW third brake light with this modulator. I use the modulator on all my motorcycles, and it really gets the attention of folks coming up behind you.

When I get into a caravan of Vanagons going to some event I always get comments about how my third brake light is the most annoying and (at the same time) effective brake light ever put on a Vanagon.

If you want to really protect yourself from distracted drivers or folks following too close, install this modulator as well.

kourt

I'm sold on the modulator. Trying to buy a 3rd brake light. waiting for the response from the seller to see how long this 'add on decoration' is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/231883278373?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Great idea on the brake light flash relay, I just ordered two, at only $3.00 having a spare just in case is affordable enough.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I'm sold on the modulator. Trying to buy a 3rd brake light. waiting for the response from the seller to see how long this 'add on decoration' is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/231883278373?

That brake light is a great bargain, the only negative that I'll mention is that bright red lights mounted inside of the vehicle and not sealed to the glass tend to leak a lot of red glare into the rear of the vehicle and it reflects off of the rear glass.

But if that doesn't bother you go for it!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

^this too. Light leakage in the cabin needs to be accounted for. I too looked for some time at different third brake light setups for my Vanagon. I rebuilt my upper cabinet (see this post) and wanted to integrate the brake light to avoid bridging the tailgate hinge with wiring.

A study of cars on the road shows that the third brake light systems are carefully designed to not leak light into the cabin. Lights are built with directive shrouds to cover the light pathway all the way to the surface of the rear glass. That's what made me realize the GW brake light was probably the best approach--it seals directly to the tailgate glass and does not leak light. Without careful consideration of these design details you may end up with a lot of red light reflecting off the glass on the inside of your van.

The GW light does have a small red forward facing LED that is sort of a confirmation light for the brake light. I like this feature too--it gives me feedback on how I'm using my brake lights to communicate with the driver behind me.

kourt
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

That brake light is a great bargain, the only negative that I'll mention is that bright red lights mounted inside of the vehicle and not sealed to the glass tend to leak a lot of red glare into the rear of the vehicle and it reflects off of the rear glass.

But if that doesn't bother you go for it!

Dave

Thanks Dave. I didn't consider this, and am glad I posted before I purchased the light bar. I will further research another sealed brake light. I might go with the GoWesty

kourt wrote:
^this too. Light leakage in the cabin needs to be accounted for. I too looked for some time at different third brake light setups for my Vanagon. I rebuilt my upper cabinet (see this post) and wanted to integrate the brake light to avoid bridging the tailgate hinge with wiring.

The GW light does have a small red forward facing LED that is sort of a confirmation light for the brake light. I like this feature too--it gives me feedback on how I'm using my brake lights to communicate with the driver behind me.

kourt

Oh wow, that map on your ceiling is insane! I was thinking about doing something similar with the headliner, but I think I like that location a lot better!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

I was talking at a guy at work. Said something about making my own brake light. So here is what I am thinking.

An 'addressable' Multi-Color LED strip along the top window. Maybe around 2 feet long (maybe longer). Anyway, it will be arduino powered.

-When brakes are put on, flash red (like the strobe box, except it will be on software side)

-When blinkers are used, do the newer 'mustang' style blinker for that particular side - in orange of course.

What do you guys think? I could build this for with an MSP430/Arduino. Cost would be around $20 for parts. The code would pretty simple honestly.

Main problem is micro controllers like 5v source. I could get a 12v-5v adapter but main problem would be getting a decent 12v source. Cause this little CPU will be on when the car is on - watching for 'input source' (blinkers or brake light)
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

the only negative that I'll mention is that bright red lights mounted inside of the vehicle and not sealed to the glass tend to leak a lot of red glare into the rear of the vehicle and it reflects off of the rear glass.

I don't find this to be the case at all with the light on the cabinet. In my installation it's barely noticeable.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I don't find this to be the case at all with the light on the cabinet. In my installation it's barely noticeable.

Ditto. After mine (dates back to ca. 2001 with 2nd owner) fell off the glass for the third time, I mounted it to the body, above the rear shelf:

At night, I can barely see its glow in the mirror. There again, it's 20 years old and not as bright as newer ones are.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

I like this feature as well, for the same reasons.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I use a simple LED bar, about 5 bucks from the usual Hong Kong suppliers.

Do you have a link to that light?

Thanks,
Luciano
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

I installed the gowesty light on my 91 multivan two years ago. It has worked perfectly and the installation was very straight forward and easy. I have dark, tinted windows and the light is plenty bright even through the tint. I Highly recommend the gowesty kit. Simple, easy to install and effective.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Can anyone opine or post a photo of how well these interior mounted lights do or do not shine through deeply tinted glass?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: