Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

short head studs
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbossert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: short head studs Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been answered but I find that the forum search is like drinking from a fire hose. I'm starting to torque the head nuts on my 1600 single port and I can see that the top two studs are not making it through the head by the time I get 7 lbs/ft on the rest of them. I'm working with a used case that I acquired. Why is this and what do I do about it?
'87 Quantum Synchro
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The studs may have been inserted too deep in the case. Pull the head and double nut the studs to pull them out. Re-insert and make sure there is enough thread in the case,then see if the problem corrects itself.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding on the 1600 cases is that there are two style studs. One is thinner, 8mm vs 10mm. The older 10mm ones often pulled out of the cases. A device was inserted into the case called a case saver to avoid studs pulling. Normally the threads on the case saver, and the stud are coated with some kind of thread sealer to prevent oil from leaking out thru the stud threads.

You might want to do a little more investigation in this area and compare it to what you have before you go further.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the right studs for the heads you're running. The two upper-middle head studs are a shorter length on dual-port engines, on single-port engines the four upper studs are all the same.

I've never *seen* a single-port engine with 8MM head studs, but I'm sure they're out there.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single or dual port?, same heads that came with the case or different?, any modifications to the stroke?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the pushrod tubes removed will the studs stick up through the heads?
rbossert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're saying makes sense;the case was probably married to a dual port head in a former life. The top inside studs are 155mm while the rest are 190mm. They measure 9mm. No they're too short even w/o the push rods tubes in. So I guess the solution is apparent I'll need to replace them with longer studs. I think if they were screwed too far in I would have noticed that when mating the case halves.
'87 Quantum Synchro
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
You need the right studs for the heads you're running. The two upper-middle head studs are a shorter length on dual-port engines, on single-port engines the four upper studs are all the same.

I've never *seen* a single-port engine with 8MM head studs, but I'm sure they're out there.

This is it. I had the same issue with my engine build. My case supplier didn't even know this when he sold it to me.

And tristessa, they do indeed exist. I've already got one, and it's very nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. The studs cant really screw in too far, as they will bottom out. Don't know where you are at but I should have plenty of the 10mm dia studs, and poss the 8mm studs. Let me know.
If you are using single port heads, all upper studs are the same length and all lower studs are the same length.
If you do have the smaller 8mm studs be aware there were some inferior stud kits out there and they were not of a genuine vw quality.
Bill.
rbossert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. I'm in Salmon, ID;not the end of the world but you can see it from here. I appreciate your offer and if I don't hear from my guy before he goes off to LA tomorrow on a parts selling spree, I might take you up on it as he will be gone for two weeks.
'87 Quantum Synchro
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: