Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Locks are really sticky, difficult to unlock
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Door Locks are really sticky, difficult to unlock Reply with quote

Hi friends, so I have two of these 411's and the both of them have a problem with the door locks. The key is cut properly but it takes a lot of effort to get them to lock and unlock. It feels like the key is going to break off in the lock.

How do I fix this and what is going on?

I've searched the forum and haven't found this addressed. Perhaps it's not a common issue but it is odd that both of our 1971 411's have this issue
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.....combined they are a little tedious...but not hard

1. The lock itself in the door handle needs to be removed....cleaned with a hot solvent like carb cleaner or MEK....and no...alcohol or acetone will not do it. Mineral spirits/paint thinner or xylene will.....but is slow to evaporate. It needs to be perfectly dry. Then treat with powdered graphite in theckey slot....and pure silickne grease on the outside of the tumblers between tumblers and the handle itself and reassemble.

This usually only alleviates part of this issue.

2. The actual locking mechanism and the locking rods need to be fleaned and greased.....I would bet the lock pull knob inside the car is also not crisp and smooth.

In the end of the door there is an oil hole under a plastic plug. This is for oiling the linkage. It helps.....but by now its only part of the problem.

You need to remove the door panel.....remove several screws from the end of the door....and unsnap the linkage.....and remove the locking mechanism.

Its not hard....but carefully remove the door panel and the plastic vapor barrier.....look around....take a couple of pictures. Note the orientation of the mechanism....the lock pull rods...and the clips for those rods.

When you get the lock/latch mechanism is out....clean it well ...again with a hot, fast evaporating solvent. Blow it clean and dry.

Its hard to figure out where all of the grease and oil points are. I have personally found that lubing the obvious grease/scraping areas with synthetic teflon grease works best (Superlube)......and everywhere else I use ATF fluid....never dries....high film strength. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS RAY!!
I knew that you'd know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: