Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil temp sender
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Oil temp sender Reply with quote

Hello I recently purchased from pelican a new oil temp sender part # 90164163200.When the car car starts the gauge is pegged and then as it warms up thje gauge comes down finalyl sitting on the lower end.Now I had another sender in that was in my opinion reading too high but didnt behave this way.Any help?If it were wired incoreectly the previous sender would have read similar.Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: temp sender Reply with quote

Any help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most likely need an original sending unit, long unavailable. You will have to find a used one, or have the gauge movement replaced to match the later sender. The range will be different though.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: oil temp sender on 912 Reply with quote

The sender from Pelican is oem Porsche.I believe I have the wiring incorrect.The puzzle is the old sender I had worked but I felt it read high.It at least behaved somewhat properly
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oem means original equipment manufacturer. So VDO made it. Big deal. Doesn't mean it's the right part...
The gauge could have been damaged by hooking the sender wire to the coil and attempting to start the car, even for just a few seconds. When the engine is cold and the key is turned on, does the temp needle align with the green "cold" line, using the original sender?
What markings are stamped on the OG sender?

I prefer answering to real names.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Sender Reply with quote

Jack the orig sender did align with the green when the key is turned on.The current sender is90164163200 Porsche part.The old one that is in the shop is not in my hand at this moment.The man behind the name Captn Calzone is Gordon...me Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: