Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 34 PICT 3 carb not getting fuel
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Solex 34 PICT 3 carb not getting fuel Reply with quote

Hi Samba Fans, I'm back with another problem. My 34 PICT 3 carb is not getting fuel.

I can spray starting fluid in carb and it will run for about 3 seconds and die, so I know it isn't anything electrical, that might be keeping my rail from running. I also just put on a brand new fuel filter about a month ago and I can see that there is fuel in the filter, so I don't think it has anything to do with the fuel pump.

So my question is, where do I start looking to tear apart, so I can clean it out? Are there certain jets that clog easier than others?

This thing was running like a champ just a week ago, and today I was coming back from the store and it just started spitting and sputtering and stopped dead.

Thanks for any help that you Buggy-holics can give me.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your getting fuel into the bowl? Remove the inlet hose and crank it over to see if the fuel pump is working?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with your carb, but most have some sort of screen behind the fuel inlet nut. It's possible yours has become blocked.... if your getting fuel from the pump.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
DON@THEO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be watching this I have the same problem and my fuel pump is working.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to decide to tear the carb apart, just make sure you setup on a big flat area and cover it with towels to keep parts from rolling away. Lay parts out the way(order) they come off. Not a bad idea to take pics as you go. Sucks when you run into that one thing that you really didn't pay attention to when you took it apart and you can't find the info about it on the net and have to guess. Even counting the number of turns for adjustment screws and writing it down will save a lot of time later putting you back where you had it.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That carb is pretty simple, has the car been sitting for a while or did it just begin misbehaving? If it suddenly started doing this, check for fuel flow from the fuel pump by removing fuel line from carb & inserting it into a 1-2 liter bottle & have someone crank the car (this way you don't spray fuel all over the engine) . If you have fuel flow, check for a broken wire to the shut off solenoid at the bottom of the carb, it shuts off fuel to the idle circuit when you shut the ignition off. If the wire is fine, have someone turn the ignition on & off a couple times, the solenoid should click & you should be able to feel it open & close.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're able to get fuel pumping into a jug, and that shut off solenoid is working, just pull the top of your carb off. It's been a minute, so I can't describe it exactly, but it's about four screws. Nothing crazy should come flying out or anything. But with the very top plate off, you can make sure your float didn't get stuck (shutting down the valve to fill the bowl from the pump). Even if every jet on the carb is clogged, I think the accelerator pump on the 34-3 probably just pulls straight off the bowl.
If that solenoid is the issue, alot of folks just cut off the end of it. So the wire and body are still plugged in, screwed in, and you don't have a vacuum leak. But without the pushpin looking end of it shutting off fuel flow, you can drive while you wait for another in the mail.
If you don't have it the engine will 'diesel' (hit and sputter for 5-10 second) after you shut it off.
uhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Samba Guys, Thanks for all your help. I found the problem.

EnjoytheR1de & TDCTDI, was right on. I took the fuel line off the fuel pump and cranked it over, and the gas was just trickling out. The gas would fill my fuel filter a little bit, but not enough to keep the buggy running.

I picked up a new fuel pump, and she is running like a new one.

Thanks again guys, Matt

Last edited by uhall on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHECK THE OIL!!! If the diaphragm ruptured the fuel is pumped into the crank case & can damage the bearings.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
uhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will do that. By the way what diaphram are you talking about?
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
CHECK THE OIL!!! If the diaphragm ruptured the fuel is pumped into the crank case & can damage the bearings.

X2!!!! The fuel pump diaphragm. If it broke it will leak gas into the block.. No Bueno.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: