Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

School me on this white plastic reservoir
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: School me on this white plastic reservoir Reply with quote

The white plastic reservoir you see below is busted.
Any suggestions where to find a replacement and/or how to describe the part?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance!
David
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this is called a coolant recovery tank.
Question: this radiator has a fan. I'm assuming the radiator has a manual switch. How critical is this fan?
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Automotive Goop to repair. The bottom of the reservoir is attached to the radiator cap via a hose. The top of the reservoir has a hose going to nowhere. I assume that's the way it should be.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, just wow..

ok not to be mean or blunt but I'm not sure owning a vintage (modified) VW or car is meant for you..

anyways.. on to actually answering your question..
that's a coolant reservoir bottle. it's available pretty standard fare at most any auto parts store for ~$10

it's purpose is for when the coolant gets hot and expands (naturally) it has a place to go, then when it cools (and contracts naturally) it sucks the coolant back in and not any air. that is if the system is operating properly.

yes a cooling fan is an important item.. how else will you cool your hot coolant when you are in line at the in-out burger drive thru. or queued up in traffic at a light or toll booth.

enroll in a local night school automotive class or find a new buddy who is already mechanically handy. this will save you money frustration and maybe some random alone time on the side of the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/INT0/MCR3...;ppt=C0331

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dfmastin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I appreciate where you're coming from Dan, but everybody has to start somewhere. I've never even changed the oil on a car before! Anyway, I did figure out the cooling system and purchased just the part at Oreilly's you found. Trying to repair the reservoir was a pain and just buying a new one was cheap. I never realized coolant expanded and contracted and optimally is under some pressure to raise the boiling point. Interesting stuff. Found and fixed the manual switch for the radiator fan. First trip around the neighborhood and I ended up with some "random alone time on the side of the road", but I had already enrolled in AAA and my mechanically inclined neighbor also stopped by. Seemed like I was getting spark, but not fuel. He agreed. I decided I'd replace the fuel pump and fuel filter. I didn't think I'd get the fuel pump off and about gave up, but neighbor came over and with enough persistence got the bolts loose. I purchase three varieties of wrenches, but it was persistence that did it. Anyway, I found a replacement fuel pump and got it back on myself and replaced the fuel filters and she's running well (in the driveway). I hope to make another neighborhood drive this weekend with fingers crossed. I should be updating one thread with my trials and tribulations. In any case, sorry I didn't thank you earlier for responding to my thread. You actually gave me exactly the information I was interested in and you found the exact part I needed and provided a place to get it. I keep telling my wife I need to experience some successes such that I don't give up. If replacing the fuel pump and filters actually sorta fixes most of my problems I may be smiling. Next I want to understand exactly how a carburetor works... Very Happy

danfromsyr wrote:
wow, just wow..

ok not to be mean or blunt but I'm not sure owning a vintage (modified) VW or car is meant for you..

anyways.. on to actually answering your question..
that's a coolant reservoir bottle. it's available pretty standard fare at most any auto parts store for ~$10

it's purpose is for when the coolant gets hot and expands (naturally) it has a place to go, then when it cools (and contracts naturally) it sucks the coolant back in and not any air. that is if the system is operating properly.

yes a cooling fan is an important item.. how else will you cool your hot coolant when you are in line at the in-out burger drive thru. or queued up in traffic at a light or toll booth.

enroll in a local night school automotive class or find a new buddy who is already mechanically handy. this will save you money frustration and maybe some random alone time on the side of the road.

Square73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard !

Looks like you bit off a good sized chunk. More power to ya. Keep learning as you go and things will turn out fine. I've read and studied carbs off and on since the sixties, even rebuilt a few. What have I learned ? I'm not a carb guy, I farm it out. Other people I know can tear one apart and rebuild them in their sleep.

Keep at it and you'll have a lot of fun with a bus.

Cheers
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned the top of the coolant bottle has a blocked hose, that means that tank is not being used properly. You want the hot coolant that expands to flow into the top of that coolant tank, it drains from the bottom as Dan explained. You need hoses on both ends for it to work properly.

Is your watercooled conversion even running on a carburetor? Probably should figure out what you have before figuring out what path to start the learning process on. I have a feeling it's probably fuel injected, but details on the swap are important.

Seems like a mess not knowing much about mechanics with a vintage vehicle that runs on a completely different power plant than originally designed. But goodluck to you!
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: