Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me find just the right motorcycle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
2weel wrote:
I say stay with the VW theme. I will sell you this bike also for the right chunk of change.

1600 SP that is kick start only!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other side of da bike, Dont mind the V8 bike on the right side its not VW inspired,

I absolutely love that thing! I will give you the left AND the right nut for that! What is it exactly. Never seen anything like it!

This bike is a Butterfield. During the 60's and 70's a couple BMW dealers sold complete conversion kits for the do it your-selfer or they would build you one. Back in the day, You would find a worn out /2 BMW R50 or R60 and use their kits to build what they call a "Conversion bike or VMW. Conversion ". Watch ebay they pop up all the time. Key words are "Butterfield, Willis 4's and Webley/Vickers" Webley just quit selling kits 4 or 5 years ago. If you find a Butterfiled? And you are true to your word of left and right, I think that bike will be called Nutter/Butter! Or? Butter/Nutter you decide. Works both way's!
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Dogs rig!

Da utter syde

helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2weel, that is a beaut
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I looked around all weekend here during the huge bike event and nothing really grabbed me. Nothing made me say "wow!" BMW Nine t is pretty cool, but for $18,000...no thanks. I sat on a new Ducati Hyperstrada that seems like it is cozy and hooligan. But again....$14,000....not at the moment. I was just looking at new stuff thinking id be blown away. But I wasnt. Back to the used bike hunt.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to define the type or style that interests you most in a motorcycle. Sitting on them tells you a little . riding them tells you a bunch.

Dealers don't let many tests rides happen much any more. If you can make it over to Miami during January 8 , 9 or 10th? IMS (International Motorcycle Show) will be going on and many manufactures show up with bikes and with a valid license and riding gear they let you ride them for free.

I just rode the BMW S1000XR and I WANT ONE! Would not have known had I not ridden one tho. BMW goes to dealers during the year and offers free rides on their bikes. Others do it too.

Good Luck !
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2weel wrote:
I think you need to define the type or style that interests you most in a motorcycle. Sitting on them tells you a little . riding them tells you a bunch.

Dealers don't let many tests rides happen much any more. If you can make it over to Miami during January 8 , 9 or 10th? IMS (International Motorcycle Show) will be going on and many manufactures show up with bikes and with a valid license and riding gear they let you ride them for free.

I just rode the BMW S1000XR and I WANT ONE! Would not have known had I not ridden one tho. BMW goes to dealers during the year and offers free rides on their bikes. Others do it too.

Good Luck !

Except that not one of those dealers sells a new bike anywhere near the OP price range. No reason to bother test riding new bikes when you have a used bike budget.

I am sticking with my original suggestion of the Nighthawk, or some similar bike. Does anyone make a "standard" bike that has modern fuel management, that falls within the price range?
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR300R Not a standard but in his price range
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FZ-07/09 and Scrambler are all good choices. I have a 2000 ZRX 1100 with mild mods. MAN!, what a bike! All day comfortable, tons of TQ, tons of power. Semi-modern reliability and somewhat vintage looks.
They also have a great forum group.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/index.php

2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with scott s,

It is always helpful when owning a bike that there is group support to help you be aware of issues and how to maintain or in some cases finding new friends to ride with or willing work on your bike with you.

Just like The Samba provides!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott s wrote:
The FZ-07/09 and Scrambler are all good choices. I have a 2000 ZRX 1100 with mild mods. MAN!, what a bike! All day comfortable, tons of TQ, tons of power. Semi-modern reliability and somewhat vintage looks.
They also have a great forum group.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/index.php

That is a very nice looking bike. Actually looks sort of like a modern version of the old CB750/Z1 era bikes.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the ZRX is a real contender. There are a few around here in my range. I really should have gotten my license before last weekend when biketoberfest was going on. There were lots of demos. But that is kind of why I am holding off buying new. See for sure what type of riding I do. All I know is I want upright seating position. I dont really like the idea of a tourer, or even a sport tourer, but it makes the most sense. I can ride something like that around town AND do some longer trips. But its really not what i want. I want a lightweight hotrod! Guess I will have to buy 2 bikes. I am eyeballing the ZRX, 919, Monster, Vmax, Bandit, and Vstrom. All are at or near my used range and all pretty capable.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand with all the bikes out there these day's its hard to pick just one!

Didn't want to have to go and do this, but I see no alternative.

Maybe a bike like this will help you keep your VW roots and give you the thrill you are looking for?

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome! Recently finished this one at work.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant understand them, but this new Brough Superior SS 100 does it for me too!

Link
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Yeah the ZRX is a real contender. There are a few around here in my range. I really should have gotten my license before last weekend when biketoberfest was going on. There were lots of demos. But that is kind of why I am holding off buying new. See for sure what type of riding I do. All I know is I want upright seating position. I dont really like the idea of a tourer, or even a sport tourer, but it makes the most sense. I can ride something like that around town AND do some longer trips. But its really not what i want. I want a lightweight hotrod! Guess I will have to buy 2 bikes. I am eyeballing the ZRX, 919, Monster, Vmax, Bandit, and Vstrom. All are at or near my used range and all pretty capable.

I also have vintage bikes. Mostly mid '70's Honda middleweights.... i.e., the CB550 (awesome bikes, but not what you're asking about).

The ZRX is amazing. It doesn't weigh that much more than a CB550. The performance is incredible, but there's enough torque to loaf around at 3K or less. Mine has a Sargent seat and Super Bike bars with just a small riser. Fits me perfectly. I have a battery tender cable run up to the triple tree. With a RAM mount, I can use my phone and Bluetooth helmet to listen to music or for GPS.

It has pods, a jet kit, +4 advancer and a Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust. Second gear roll on wheelies aren't a problem. And guys do it in 3rd, but I don't have the balls for it!

Depending on the year and whether it's an 1100 or 1200, you can get a really nice one for $3-4K.

Never owned them, but I'm a big fan of the Versys and the Bandits. I see 1200 Bandits for $2.5-3K all the time, often with luggage. The Versys will bring a little more.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Versys and the Bandit get alot of praise, but ugh...so boring. But seems to be very good "all rounders" and fairly cheap to buy. Good wind protection for those longer rides. I sure like the looks of the ZRX. Kind of old technology, and they are more than 10 year newer Bandits.. etc
This seems like a pretty good deal on a nice one. http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/5271542178.html
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also always been a big fan of the old Honda CB-4's. 450's-750's, but im trying to get something more modern this time. And they are starting to bring premium $$$ around here now. I would kind of like to get something with fuel injection. My wife wants me to get a new Indian Scout, but it has forward controls and thats not my favorite. Im leaning more toward FZ-09 or FJ-09 for a new bike.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: