Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Popping, Surging and Stalling - Solved!
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Popping, Surging and Stalling - Solved! Reply with quote

73 D-Jet overhaul ran good for about 650 miles. Now car surges at cruising speeds, stalls at idle. After a long ride on highway you can hear the engine popping or backfiring upon acceleration, causing it to surge. Im pretty sure the popping is occuring in the plenum.

Heres whats been done:

- timing (at 3500 RPM and idle)
- valves adj
- checked all grounds and vac hoses
- fuel pressure ok
- all new FI components and harness (exc ECU)
- points seem ok
- plugs, cap, wires, etc new

It just started doing this out of the blue after running fine. Im stumped.

Last edited by ClassicCamper on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is onoy one thing that causes popping into the plenum...and that is either a burned valve, sticking valve or grossly poorly adjusted valves.....I am doubting its popping into the plenum.

Other items are primarily ignition related....shorting plug wires.....or sticking breaker plate.

The surging sounds primarily like fuel restriction or a vacuum leak opening up at high rpm. That can include the MPS. This can be caused by the TB o-ring. This can be caused by a serious vacuum leak anywhere in the oil dipstick system of thd wagon.

This will not be caused by either of the other two sensors in the EFI.

This is most commonly caused by fuel pressure fluctuation meaning the opening of the fuel inlet in the tank alt Dr nately getting clogged and unclogged by silt. Is there still a sock filter in the tank?

Or the fuel pump losing prime and cavitating for any number of reasons.....old pump....power fluctuations. .....kinked hose.....plugged filter. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, I found the problem. The lobed distributor shaft that the points ride on had some kind of varnish on it. Despite dabbing a little grease on the shaft, the hard plastic piece that rides along it wore down (again) and the points actually remained closed.

I didn't catch this b/c I just installed the points. I never had this happen on an ACVW before, but always a first time. I cleaned the varnish off of the distributor shaft and put a tiny dab of grease on the rider. There is no more squeak from the engine now; car runs great.

Sometimes its just the simple things! Thanks again.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found it!
Also glad you reported back - we all learn from each other.

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: