Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First wax recommendations
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: First wax recommendations Reply with quote

Its been almost 3 months since I put new BC/cc on my bug. Just wondering what everyone's favorite wax is. Really want to get a coat or 2 on before winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine with any good quality liquid wax. I would look for "clear coat safe" and stay away from a "cleaner/wax" as some of those may have abrasives.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good and very interesting articles online regarding the use of real carnauba wax versus the liquid, polymeric formulas. Beware that some labels will state "carnauba" while there is very little, if any, carnauba wax in the product.

I really LIKE the idea of real wax, but after reading up on polymeric products ( Maguires Tech wax, Klasse sealant glaze, etc...) they offer some advantages and are typically easier to apply. They also by far outlast wax, and can be touched up nicely with quick detailer, which adds a little of the polymer back while you buff the finish back to a shine.

According to an article at autogeek.net, you can use a polymeric sealant, and then also lay a coat of carnauba wax over that.

Klasse is said to last up to a year for each application, you could certainly do that, and then go over it with any of the good carnauba waxes. I would also suggest washing your car with a rinseless wash first, like Optimum No Rinse. I do mine in the garage, and gently pat dry with drying towels. Lots of youtube vids on how to wash with the rinseless products. You avoid getting any scratches or swirls this way, plus you can wash any time of year in the garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: