Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Timing and Carburetor Adjustment with a Vacuum Gauge Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7883332#7883332]Timing and Carburetor Adjustment with a Vacuum Gauge[/url]

Vacuum gauge

Vacuum Gauge Tuning

First adjust:
Valves
Dwell
Lube distributor

What you are trying to achieve is the highest vacuum reading without pre-ignition (pinging).
This will require jumping from Carburetor adjustment to Timing adjustment.

T&S: Vacuum gauge, #2 flat blade screwdriver, 10mm socket, 6" extension, Ratchet, Analog RPM gauge.

Carburetor Adjustment
1. Connect your vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum (NOT "ported" vacuum that rises as RPM increases). If you have power brakes you can use that fitting. You may need to install a fitting in the intake manifold, somewhere between the base of the carburetor and the cylinder heads.
2. Hook up your RPM gauge.
3. Warm up engine. (86*-158*)
4. Set idle to 900 rpm.
5. Turn in the Idle mixture screw (clockwise) a 1/4 turn at a time until vacuum and rpm begin to drop.
6. Turn out the Idle mixture screw (counter-clockwise) a 1/4 turn at a time Pausing in between adjustment to allow for the engine to settle, until you reach the highest vacuum gauge reading. Note the reading.
7. Rev the engine to clear the spark plugs, let it settle, check reading.
8. Readjust if necessary. This will leave it rich.
9. Turn in the Idle mixture screw (clockwise) a 1/4 turn.

Timing
1. Readjust idle to 900 rpm.
2. Loosen the distributor clamp, 6mm hex nut with the 10mm socket just enough to be able to rotate the dist.
3. Advance (earlier) or Retard (later) the ignition timing until the highest steady vacuum reading is obtained.
4. Repeat 1 & 3 until you have obtained the highest steady vacuum reading.
5. Then retard the timing slightly, 1/2 Hg.

Timing with a vacuum gauge will normally result in timing that is more advanced.
In the absence of a Dino to load the engine and a Knock sensor to detect pre-ignition. We need some way to load the engine and test for pre-ignition.

Checking for Pre-ignition (pinging)
If you have a hill with a steep grade.
Stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor and listen for pinging.
Or
Rolling at idle in second gear
Stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor and listen for pinging

If you hear pinging back off the accelerator immediately or engine damage could occur.
Retard the timing another 1/2 Hg and retest.

Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:39 am; edited 4 times in total
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

Great information! What kind of vacuum reading are we looking for using this method? 5 to 10 inHg?

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:
Great information! What kind of vacuum reading are we looking for using this method? 5 to 10 inHg?

There is no way to tell you what absolute numbers you may get. it depends on atmospheric pressure, it depends on your cam/timing/elevation, etc.

A "normal" Volkswagen should be timed to maximum centrifugal advance allowed at 3,000 to 3,400 rpm, 28* BTDC.

FROM THERE, we sometimes trim the adjustment. High elevation needs a little more, low compression ratio might need a little more.

Volkswagens with vacuum retard distributors and dual carbs with a central idling circuit will have the vacuum gauge guide screaming at you that you have burnt valves or a skipped timing gear, but their low readings at idle are a normal consequence of the engineering.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

the concepts of static timing, timing by ear, timing by vacuum gauge etc come from a time, 70 - 100 years ago, when engines were not built with the tolerances and compression ratios that came into automotive engines starting in the late 1950's - early 1960's. They did not have automatic chokes, automatic spark advance, fuel injection, ECU's, computers etc. An early 1950's car often had a manual choke, and a manual spark advance. Part of the driver's responsibility was to choke the engine when starting, and to operate the spark advance at different engine speeds by means of a lever on the steering column or dash. Today's cars use computers and knock sensors to set spark timing. The cars like our buses from the late 60's and 70's used mechanical and vacuum means to change the timing. Those systems must be maintained. That said, fuels have also changed. On our buses to reduce heat and possible head failure we set the timing to 28 - 29 degrees BTDC at full advance. This gives good performance and safer engine operation.

Old manual systems:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:

As posted there are two many variables to say one reading fits all.
elevation/cam design/induction system/ engine wear (rings, valves, valve guides)

Think of an engine as an air pump. The more air the engine moves, the more efficient it is.

"What you are trying to achieve is the highest vacuum reading without pre-ignition (pinging).
This will require jumping from Carburetor adjustment to Timing adjustment."

Tcash

Ps I once read a article about a study done on engine timing. The Test vehicle was equipped with a dial to control engine timing. Test subjects varied from the uninitiated to subjects experienced in automotive technologies. Subjects were given a demonstration and asked to adjust the dial to the point it eliminated pinging.
I do not remember the numbers. But I do remember the percentage of subjects that could dial in the optimum timing without pinging were quite high across the board.
I found it interesting that a person with no automotive experience could hear pinging and adjust the timing accordingly to alleviate it.
Just a thought
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

I found it interesting that a person with no automotive experience could hear pinging and adjust the timing accordingly to alleviate it.
Just a thought

VW engines are such a ccacaphony of pings and tinkles and clatters, particularly with new exhaust systems, that I do not think I could safely distinguish the deadly pre-pinging heat-generating catastrophe from all the other sounds. I am not in a hurry (but I do get around). I will time it well within the range of weaker but longer lasting.
Colin
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

been there. Never heard the pre-ignition. You can hear detonation because it goes off all at once in a sharp spike. Pre-ignition causes a rise in cylinder temps and pressures but is not always audible. Timing plays a part in both because the more advanced an engine is the hotter the engine runs. The hotter the pistons the greater the pressure in the cylinder and the closer to both the engine is. Detonation is caused when the timing is so far advanced that the additional pressure from the burn sets off the whole cylinder instantly and that causes a knock. Pre-ignition is caused by a lean mixture and something like too hot an area of the head, carbon flakes glowing, a plug tip that carries too much heat from the last cycle etc. You don't hear pre-ignition unless it is combined with detonation. Either way no air cooled engine hold up well to either. The piston crowns melt is usually where the failure is. I agree with Colin that air cooled engines make so much noise you may not hear the damage being done. But if you like to drive like that go for it.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Any year? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
To time your engine at full mechanical advance you need the vacuum hoses removed and plugged.

Any year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
14platoon wrote:

In the Bentley manual this gives settings for advance and retard,how can you set the timing for both?
Despite extensive reading, I'm still confused. Which should I set it at?

Bleyseng is correct. The Bentley manual timing settings only apply to factory engines with factory distributors. So many parts have been swapped around over the years that we don't use those timing methods anymore, except to get the engine close enough to get started. Once it's running, use the 28* at 3500 RPM method, with all the hoses off.

What is the part number of your distributor?

Robbie

Any year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

Any year, with the exception of 68-70 still using the original 205M or K vacuum only SVSA distributor. The mechanical only 009 and all SVDA or DVDA units are best timed with the hoses off at maximum mechanical advance.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Any year, with the exception of 68-70 still using the original 205M or K vacuum only SVSA distributor. The mechanical only 009 and all SVDA or DVDA units are best timed with the hoses off at maximum mechanical advance.

Thanks Busdaddy. I have a 1971 with the double vac. but just the advance hose is connected. It doesn't have points. It has the compufire module. Do I still go with the 28* at 3500 rpms hose disconnected? Thanks again.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

inhabor wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Thanks Busdaddy. I have a 1971 with the double vac. but just the advance hose is connected. It doesn't have points. It has the compufire module. Do I still go with the 28* at 3500 rpms hose disconnected? Thanks again.

Yes. Test the vacuum advance canister as well by sucking on the hose and watching for movement on the breaker plate inside the distributor, also seal the end of the hose with the tip of your tounge and confirm it'll hold vacuum.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

Thanks again Busdaddy, you are the best.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

inhabor wrote:
Do I still go with the 28* at 3500 rpms hose disconnected? Thanks again.
You don't need or even really want to use a tach when setting the timing, just rev it up until the timing quits advancing, which will be somewhere around 3200-3800 rpm.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

inhabor wrote:
Do I still go with the 28* at 3500 rpms hose disconnected? Thanks again.
You don't need or even really want to use a tach when setting the timing, just rev it up until the timing quits advancing, which will be somewhere around 3200-3800 rpm.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
inhabor wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Yes. Test the vacuum advance canister as well by sucking on the hose and watching for movement on the breaker plate inside the distributor, also seal the end of the hose with the tip of your tounge and confirm it'll hold vacuum.

I tested the Canister vacuum and both sides are working, advance and retard.The retard side is not conected.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

Can I connect the hose for the retard vacuum here?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

inhabor,

I'm not sure your carb setup would be compatible with the vacuum retard.

When your car is idling, and you take the advance hose off the distributor, does your idle RPM change at all? When you use a timing light at idle and then suddenly take the advance hose off the distributor, does the timing change at all?

Let us know, and we can go from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
inhabor,

When your car is idling, and you take the advance hose off the distributor, does your idle RPM change at all? When you use a timing light at idle and then suddenly take the advance hose off the distributor, does the timing change at all?

No, no change after disconnecting the hose. If I put my tongue in the hose it doesn't suck unless I give a little gas.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

inhabor wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
inhabor,

No, no change after disconnecting the hose. If I put my tongue in the hose it doesn't suck unless I give a little gas.

Excellent answer, thank you!

So your vacuum advance is ported correctly, so you MIGHT be able to use the vacuum retard feature. But the dual vacuum setup was designed from day one to work with an idle bypass carb like the 34pict3. I don't know if anyone offhand that has even tried it with a dual setup.

I think it might pull your idle rpm down so far that you'll have to increase your idle throttle stop screws a lot to compensate. This might expose progression holes to airflow and ruin your throttle response.

Only one way to find out...
Robbie

Edit: it will also make cold starts much harder, since there is not choke to temporarily hold the vacuum advance open 5-15 degrees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: