Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 bug rear torsion bars question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: 56 bug rear torsion bars question Reply with quote

Hi all - I hope someone can help me with this.

I have a 56 bug. The rear has been lowered and sits slightly higher on one side so today i pulled the lower side apart to rectify and level things up. I was suprised that these earlier swing axle rear ends have the 'snout' which sticks through the spring plate cover on the outer ends of the torsion bars - see pic of mine below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When i pulled the torsion bar it came out from the middle - so i had to turn it one inner spline which has proved to be too much because now it sits higher than the other side.

My question is, do these earlier torsion bars have splines both inner and outer like the later bugs?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug rear torsion bars question Reply with quote

Yes, exactly the same spline count, both inner and outer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug rear torsion bars question Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce - so on these then one inner should be the same drop as one outer?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug rear torsion bars question Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
Thanks Bruce - so on these then one inner should be the same drop as one outer?

I don't think that that is what Bruce means . . .

You wanted to say this, right Bruce?
Bruce wrote:
Yes, exactly the same spline count as later torsion bars . . . inner and outer are different.

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 bug rear torsion bars question Reply with quote

richierich wrote:

My question is, do these earlier torsion bars have splines both inner and outer like the later bugs?

Bruce wrote:
Yes, exactly the same spline count, both inner and outer.

My answer was that the spline counts were the same as later cars. Both inner and outer (are the same as later cars). I didn't want to say the inner count was different from the outer because that's not what he asked initially.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: 56 bug rear torsion bars question Reply with quote

Thanks fellas but just to clear up confusion i guess i should have asked - are there splines both ends and are there the same number of splines both ends? Look a bit different to later ones which is what i'm more used to
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 56 bug rear torsion bars question Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
Thanks fellas but just to clear up confusion i guess i should have asked - are there splines both ends and are there the same number of splines both ends? Look a bit different to later ones which is what i'm more used to

They have different number of splines in each end of the torsion bar , so it is possible to adjust the ride height properly. Its a table who tells how to do it.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: