Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heilite tent trailer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited because someone called me today about a Heilite trailer! I run a wanted ad on craigslist and someone has one so I am excited to go look at it today. I will take pics and post up what I find! Very Happy
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wasn't a Heilite, it is a Higgins. Pretty cool though, looks like a Heilite.
Here is the same looking one in a video. 700 bucks they want, I may get it. Very Happy

Link

Here is the actual trailer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
flat_twin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is the JC Higgins? It looks like it's in good shape. How is the canvas?
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 1946 Higgins. And it is not a JC Higgins, it was made by a guy named Andrew Jackson Higgins, he was the guy that built landing craft for WWII and Eisenhower said he was why we won the war. Very Happy I found a site about the history of pop up campers and Higgins was the first aluminum tent camper and they made a boat model too. The Higgins trailer was only built in 1946 and 1947. http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/higgins35mm.html

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
flat_twin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, accidentally slipped a "JC" in front of that. Vesely who made Apache campers did make a JC Higgins version (looked a lot like an Apache Chief or Scout) for sears for a couple years around 1960 but you're right, the Higgins camper is something else.
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Cool
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
flat_twin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on my Heilite wannabe. Got some painting done this weekend on the Ward's camper. I need a beige squareback to pull this eh.

Kathy J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Slow progress, but progress... Reply with quote

FINALLY! We FINALLY got our Heilite rolling yesterday!

It's not quite finished yet--we discovered that it still needs some adjustments to the cargo door locks, and it needs a spare wheel (which we have, but haven't gotten sandblasted/painted so we can put a tire on it). But it's usable--it even has a **really nice** mattress that my husband sewed for it! It's waterproof nylon on the bottom, and upholstery velvet on top, and it has 4" of very firm foam rubber inside it. We had bought a 4" memory foam mattress topper, but when we laid on it, it compressed down to about 1/2" thick and was really uncomfortable. So we bit the bullet and bought the heavy foam rubber (which we got at a huge discount with coupons from Joann Fabric). We tried using both the memory foam and the foam rubber together (which was incredibly comfortable!), but the trailer cover couldn't fit on the trailer with both fillers in the bed. So we pulled out the memory foam.

The trailer is now physically ready to use, but despite getting a hitch made for it in July, we haven't taken it on the road at all because it came to us with no paperwork and doesn't have a license plate. We've been unable to get any info from the local Michigan Secretary of State office on how to go about getting a plate and/or title for it. They keep telling us to bring in the title...sigh. A friend of a friend who rehabs old trailers as a hobby recently told us that all we need is to get it weighed on a public certified scale, and get a letter or a bill of sale from the man who gave it to us. We managed to verify that info, which was buried in small print in an obscure section of the SoS website. The site said that it was legal to haul it without a plate *only* to a public scale, and *only* on the most direct route to/from the scale. So yesterday we hooked it up to my PT Cruiser for a maiden voyage to the certified scale at a truck stop about 8 miles away.

It's so light that I could hardly tell it was back there, until I turned a corner and got a glimpse of it in the mirrors. Driving with that thing attached took a bit of getting used to. A few blocks into the journey, one of the cargo doors dropped open...that's when we discovered that the locks need adjustment. Sad We got it to stay closed, but the other door is now stuck and won't open. Sad

When we got to the scale, they had to weigh the car at the same time in order to get the scale to register the trailer's miniscule weight! LOL! It officially weighs a whopping 200 pounds, and that's *with* a mattress in it and a folding table and a cot in the cargo area!

After we got it weighed we took it over to the house of the elderly man who gave it to us. He happened to live just a block off the "most direct route" to the scale... Smile He hasn't seen it since he gave it to us, and at that time it was still covered in rust and mildew. He was thrilled to see the trailer all restored. He made us pull it up onto his lawn and set up the tent so he could see all the work we've done on it. I think we made his day. Later this week he and I are going to go to the Secretary of State office together with a "bill of sale" and the weight cert, and try to get them to write up a registration so we can put a plate on the trailer.

When we left his house, we brought it home with us--the first time it's been "home" since we got it. It's been in the garage at my dad's house 3 miles away since last year in June, and that's where it'll be stored once everything is working properly on it. But it'll be much easier to work on it here because we won't have to drive back and forth between locations if we need a forgotten tool.

It started to rain just as we got home with the trailer, so we didn't get a chance to get any photos before we shoved it into the garage. But we need to do some work on the door locks tonight, so when we pull it out of the garage for that I'll hook it up to the car and try to get some pics.
flat_twin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you took it over for the previous owner to see. Must have been quite a thrill for him to see it all redone and ready for more years of camping.

Looking forward to your pics. Please take one of your husbands sewing. I priced a foam pad with a vinyl cover at an auto upholstery place. YIKES! DIY sounds great if you've got the skills. That's why mine came from Cabelas!

About the title. It's probably different in MI, here in Ohio they don't require a title for any non commercial trailer less than 4000 lbs. They simply go by the weight of the trailer. My tent trailer had no title and I though it would be a problem. All I needed was a certified weight slip to take to the BMV.
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job! @Kathy can't wait to see pics
Kathy J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Up and running! Reply with quote

We got a title and plate for the Heilite. Michigan state law said that we had to have a title if it was a trailer that could be lived in, even a pop up tent camper. It didn't qualify as a cargo trailer because of the tent. The whole process was a mess, but it's done and we legally own the trailer now. First we had to get it weighed on a public scale. It's so small that it didn't activate the scale by itself! We had to weight the car with it. The Heilite, empty weighed exactly 200 pounds.

My husband finally had to take the 87 year old previous owner with him to the Secretary of State to sign off on it. The old owner had gone into the office on his own last summer, and requested a title transfer, saying he had given the trailer away, but they never followed through. Apparently Michigan has no process for dealing with a vehicle that was a gift. You have to buy it in order to get a title for it. So they finally went in together, and after being prompted by the clerk, told the state that we bought it for $100 (they wouldn't let them say it was sold for $1--the state gets 6% of every vehicle sale as tax...). But before that was done, the clerk tried to charge him a plate fee for the weight of the CAR rather than the TRAILER...she didn't believe that it weighed so little. Sigh...

Once it was legal to take on the road, my husband took the Heilite out for a couple of overnight trials to make sure everything worked and it hauled OK. He came back alive, so last weekend we loaded it up with stuff for 2 adult humans and 2 large greyhounds, and drove to the nearest state park for an overnighter. We're cautious folk, what can I say? Smile

We were camped next to a guy in a 1972 US Army military transport truck that he is slowly converting into a camper. Lots of people stopped to ask us questions all weekend. And there were some ladies in 1960's "glampers" that came by. One of them fell in love with the Heilite and wants to buy it. We're not selling (at least not right now) but it made us wonder what one of these things goes for in restored condition? Our marine canvas is not original (not even close to the original design...), and it's mildew stained. (What gets the stain out? CLR Mildew remover killed the mildew and the smell, but it left the black spots behind). All the original steel parts have been powdercoated blue, but it's in good working condition. What do restored Heilites go for?

The only serious problem we encountered last weekend was some scary trailer sway on the freeway. We're using a T-shaped hitch adapter that we had fabricated for us. Either it's not strong enough and it's flexing, or it's not designed correctly, and it's not supporting the weight properly. I would love to see pictures from those of you who are using T-adapters, to see how they're built.

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome! I want to go make a fire outside right now just seeing that cool shot! Cool Oh and I got my Higgins trailer today! I might start a thread outside of this one for it but it is kinda like having a Heilite because it is all aluminum too. I plan to make it shine like a mirror! Laughing

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Heilite tent trailer Reply with quote

So I got wind of a heilite for sale but for sale with this old truck. Took a chance at seeing if he would sell it seperately. A week later I get a call! Bingo!!!

And look what I get back when pictures start comin in Dancing

Cool heilite patch still intact. Cool

She is now resting at home after a 16hr road trip. Very Happy
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Heilite tent trailer Reply with quote

Swivel wheel model, cool, any updates? Cool
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heilite tent trailer Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Swivel wheel model, cool, any updates? Cool

The big surprise was the condition of the tent. Nice and strong with just some old dirt to clean up. So here she is finally opened up after 30 plus years.

And here's the icing on the cake.. After some good scrubbing Smile

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Heilite tent trailer Reply with quote

I just picked this beauty up yesterday from the original owners son. Same family since new in 1955.
Came with the camp kitchen,awning with original poles, plenty of history, stories, camping equipment, etc.
It has sat in the same garage off Hwy 80 in Sacramento since 1976

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Heilite tent trailer Reply with quote

That awning is the shizznit Greg. It was probably a limited run for that year?
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Heilite tent trailer Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
That awning is the shizznit Greg. It was probably a limited run for that year?

Not sure.
I've had tents with ½ of a zipper on them in the past, but no awning.
This is the first I've seen with the awning sewn to the tent.
The owner said it came like that from Heilite when purchased new....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Heilite tent trailer Reply with quote

mr. warehouse,
Very nice early find.
From your first photo, your Heilite Trailer appears to have two wheels ?
Any pics of the hitch assembly / axle frame.
I thought the two wheel version didn't appear until 1960 - '61.
There's a photo of the attached front canopy on singlewheel.com in the vintage literature section but can't tell what year the brochure is from, rare accessory. Good Stuff !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: