Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

American Pickers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

Saw the episode, appears to have one repaint on it, you can see the over spray on the semaphore. It also is a Euro body due to the lack of overrider bumper support holes. They did get a nice deal on it. Hopefully Pickers will show the car to the VW community when completed.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
S It also is a Euro body due to the lack of overrider bumper support holes.

There were no overriders in '52. The earliest you could get them was mid to late '54. Splits have completely different bumpers from the later cars so overriders wouldn't even fit.

From all of the visible details and the description of the previous owners it is a very high probability that this was an officially imported Hoffman car.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Sorry you didn't get it. It sucks when something like that slips through your fingers.

X2- I have been in your shoes. Obviously the way the family farm deal went down changed the way the split deal went. Me thinks the FIL owner of the car threw up his hands on all the farm's contents, if the show depicted the farm deal as it went. I hate when legwork figuratively dies with the previous owner. I've met many folks around here who said something like, "well here's the farm, but the beetle is going to my brother." Obviously the seller did not do that, or the young buck with the farm thought, "to hell with that, I see dollar signs." The lure of being on reality TV weighed in I'm sure.

I have also been the guy that gets the green light, though a guy like you had done all the recent legwork. This happened to me a few months ago when I bought a split bus. I had visited the guy for years, but it was another guy who got the man to finally talk about selling. Unbeknownst me, it was a friend who did the recent legwork, but opted out- setting me up to pick up the spare. This I did with no hesitation or dickering.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

To bad the car didn't stay in PA. I was just in this area... and passing all the farms and sheds wondering what might be behind some of those doors.

Just curious what you guys actually think of the deal. I was surprised. I would've jump all over 10k for this beetle. Can you imagine freshening up that engine, leaving the barn dust there, and slipping it through the various auctions available?

Maybe I'm out of touch with the split beetle scene, but I see value in that car for that price.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

Forget auctions, I would have kept it. It was a good buy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

JonL wrote:
Forget auctions, I would have kept it. It was a good buy.

This ^^^. What a story at a good price. You could look for split for years and never find one in a barn loft.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

hmm I got an idea tor a new show...Mexican pickers!!or redneck pickers!!Canadian pickers!! then another show..."I shot a picker !!" Shocked kaint they read?? Rolling Eyes
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

mark tucker.. Think ... You should pitch for your own show "The Knows Picker" .. . Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

I still can't believe that they didn't buy that "Big Giant Frankie" when they were in Mayer, Arizona !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Canadian pickers!! Rolling Eyes

It's been done.
http://www.history.ca/canadian-pickers/
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

the antique knows pickers do it best. first episode trying to keep grandpa alive when his o2 stops up...... it'snot for the faint of heart.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
the antique knows pickers do it best. first episode trying to keep grandpa alive when his o2 stops up...... it's not for the faint of heart.

WTF are you talking about?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
the antique knows pickers do it best. first episode trying to keep grandpa alive when his o2 stops up...... it's not for the faint of heart.

WTF are you talking about?

Who are we to question the extremely hilarious humor of Marktucker?
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

Saw a recent picker episode where the eng. Was going to be rebuilt, somewhere in Tennessee, but the engine was toast, due sitting on the ground at some time. The engine builder stated that the car was worth 20k?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Saw a recent picker episode where the eng. Was going to be rebuilt, somewhere in Tennessee, but the engine was toast, due sitting on the ground at some time. The engine builder stated that the car was worth 20k?

J-3 Restoration has it.
http://j-3restoration.com
saltfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

I can't be alone in catching Mike Wolfe ask about the "35 horse" motor Rolling Eyes in the '52 when they picked it up from J-3. But he's a "VW guy",...surely he wouldn't utter such a verbal transgression. Perhaps just a moment of cereberal flatulence.
'61 Double-Door Panel (Sold)
'78 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'66 Panel (Sold)
'70 Fasty (Sold)
'70 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'68 Type 3 Fastback (Sold)
'69 Bus (On tour somewhere)
'70 Fastback (Sold)
'59 NSU Prinz!!! (On a racetrack someday in my dreams)
'66 Buick Wildcat (Sold)

"Come to kindly terms with your Ass for it bears you" - J. Muir
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

saltfactor wrote:
I can't be alone in catching Mike Wolfe ask about the "35 horse" motor Rolling Eyes in the '52 when they picked it up from J-3. But he's a "VW guy",...surely he wouldn't utter such a verbal transgression. Perhaps just a moment of cereberal flatulence.

I noticed that too. Ole Mike is a good guy and a die hard VW guy too, he isnt a Samba period correct or nothing else kinda guy , but a great dude none the less. He enjoys old VWs and know quite a bit really, we'll caulk that 35 hp up to a brain fart....

I'm kinda jaded he does drive my ole 62 VW Single Cab truck... Very Happy

BB
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

He just got 25 and 36 hp mixed up and blurted out 35 instead Wink
Just saw the episode tonight...cool story!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

I didn't see the episode so I don't know any thing about this. This was sent to me by my wife. "Last night @ 3:06am" She has insomnia. She is the best wife ever!!

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: American Pickers Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
I didn't see the episode so I don't know any thing about this. This was sent to me by my wife. "Last night @ 3:06am" She has insomnia. She is the best wife ever!!

I haven't seen it either, but I'm sure Mike was dropping VW Knowledge on Frank at that particular moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 56

Jump to: