Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of using this 8 volt battery
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Thinking of using this 8 volt battery Reply with quote

Thinking of using this.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/exide-heavy-duty-farm-battery-8-1?cm_vc=-10005

My car didn't come with a radio, so I'm thinking of using this and tweeking the generator to put out something like 8.5 volts. I might use an ipod and hidden speakers to maintain the charm of the radio block off plate but still have tunes.

What do you think?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of using this 8 volt battery Reply with quote

I think you would need at least 9.5 volts to properly charge that battery. If you don't have enough voltage to fully charge it, the battery won't operate at peak efficiency and probably won't last as long as it should.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of using this 8 volt battery Reply with quote

I am no expert, but I restored several old Willys Jeeps (1940's) and it was not uncommon to replace the 6v with an 8 volt for more cranking power, etc.
You didn't have to change any bulbs or other things and the price of the two was similar if I remember correctly.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of using this 8 volt battery Reply with quote

Unless you know how to exactly modify your voltage regulator, don't do it, because instead of an 8 volt battery, you'll end up with a sick 6 volt one.

I like 6 volt Optimas and would use nothing else.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of using this 8 volt battery Reply with quote

I used to run the tractor batteries. They were cheaper and i never had a problem.
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of using this 8 volt battery Reply with quote

Here's the thing, I do know how to modify my voltage regulator. It's not that hard. The other thought I have is that the voltage drops associated with older wiring and not-always-perfectly-clean electrical connections will lower the voltage as the electricity goes from Point A to Point B.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still on the fence about this.

Has anyone done this with a VW firsthand? Did the headlights pop all the time? Did the generator burn out quickly.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of using this 8 volt battery Reply with quote

An 8 volt battery is a 4 cell battery. You need at least .15 volts per cell to induce a charge so each 2 volt cell has to see at least 2.15 volts. You would need at least 8.6 volts to charge an 8 volt battery. This will charge it at the slowest rate possible so if they drain on the battery while starting and driving can be recouped by charging it at 8.6 volts then it should work.

this site has some good information.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

If you are hoping to improve the brightness of your lights and improve starting the first thing you should do is to address the problem at its source. Clean every electrical connection in the car. Once it is in proper operating condition then assess if you want to go to a bigger battery.

If you have marginal connections they have resistance. This resistance causes heat when current flows through them. If you add another couple of volts without cleaning the connections then you will be producing more heat and could cause damage to some connections and in a worse case, start a fire.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: