Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW TDi cars!
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: VW TDi cars! Reply with quote

Well, as most of us have seen, VW stepped in it big time with their sneaky software blunder. So, supposing that the eco-Nazi's step up and start condemning people for driving 'coal-rolling death machines' (not true by any stretch of the imagination), how many here would buy up a few of these cars for 'toy use'. I have an image, in my head, of a TDi engine in my rail. I also have a recurring daydream of me 'rolling coal' on a Prius-driving hippie chick with Rapunzel-type hairy leg syndrome.

Hahahaha , could be a lot of very dependable, very inexpensive engines out there for sale very soon. It's a damned shame what happened, but hey, let's make lemonade!!
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DON@THEO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could imagine a tdi rail hmmmmmmmmmm
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they use a high pressure fuel system that is quite finicky, incredibly sensitive to contamination and terribly expensive. From my research (I have a 2011 Sportswagen) I wouldn't want to mess with that on a conversion.

stick with a flat 4 if your doing a swap, like a EJ-series engine....just my opinion
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep to the earlier tdis I've collected several & will roll coal as long as I can. Last Christmas I took the wife & kids from NC to DC to see family & then straight down to Florida on one tank, you can't do that with a hybrid. All the people wigging out about their emissions need to get a grip, if they bought a tdi because it was clean & green & they feel that slighted then they should dump their cars, drink the koolaid & go buy their new hybrid. I don't buy new cars, so my purchase isnt going to affect any manufacturers bottom line, but I will stay with VW because it an infinitely better vehicle than just about any other car I've driven, especially after 2-300,000 miles have been put on the clock. I swap tdis into other cars because I like the longevity & the mileage that they get. I also thoroughly like enveloping tailgaters & assholes subjecting me to their second hand cigarette smoke in a thick black cloud of diesel dust. (Bonus points if they're driving a pious(yes that was intentional))

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Square73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tdi in my bus sounds like fun.

I'm interested in seeing how many people (if given the choice) will opt to keep their mileage over battling "Global Warming"

I'm betting they will play Capt. Planet as long as it's with other people's money.

If these coal rollers have been as bad as they say, for as long as they say, why didn't anyone notice, why aren't we all dead ? LoL

Time to sit back and laugh at the Eco-Terrorists, again.
lolalola62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost to 300,000 on my 99 TDI. I've driven a VW diesel since 1978 and took my driver's test in my 78 Rabbit diesel. I buy them because I like the mileage and I like driving them. I don't intend to change anytime soon, in fact if my current motor needs rebuilding at some point I think I'll just do that (assuming all diesel passenger cars are not outlawed here in Cali) and give my poor car some love, maybe new wheels, fix my headliner and speakers, etc. Like someone else just mentioned, I don't buy new cars anyway. This TDI gets me to work economically; I have a long commute and work off hours so public transit is not an option.
platatomi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW TDi cars! Reply with quote

Ok, I get it. Your cool with calling people who don't want to breathe soot Nazis and Terrorists, but the s-word is over the line? You know we ALL breathe air right?

Back on topic, I read that the emissions cheat VW used mostly resulted in huge NOx emmisions, I don't believe there was much particulate matter.

Update -

No longer daily driver but still fixing things...
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW TDi cars! Reply with quote

Since all of the exhaust in the CR 2L TDI passes through the DPF (diesel particulate filter) none of the TDIs are going to start spewing soot unless the DPF is removed. Which can be done with about $800-1200 worth the parts depending on the kit and a flash to the ECM costing $499. That not only gets rid of the power and fuel robbing regeneration cycle the CR TDI motor goes through every 200-500 miles to clear the DPF it also gets rid of the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) cycle which plays havoc on the intake system and also robs fuel mileage and creates more heat in the intake system.

After VW gets this cleared up and does whatever they have to do with my car I'll probably do all of the above complete with a stage 2 flash. The TDI CR 140hp motor as stock is 133hp/225lb-ft - stage 2 ups that to ~184hp & 295lb-ft. Not an insignificant increase.

FWIW VW sent me a letter the other day offering to help make things right with me. The offer was for a pre-paid debit card from some place/bank I've never heard of preloaded with $500 plus an additional $500 in dealer bucks. Oil changes etc. If I have my way VW won't be reflashing my ECM. If they want to place an Ad-Blue tank on it with all the requisite hardware I would expect them to foot the bill for the Ad-Blue for at least the next 5 years or I'll throw in with one of the many lawyer companies that are sending me letters telling me how they can get me big bucks.

If they retrofit my car with the Ad-Blue I'd probably just leave it stock. From what I hear the only choice they have is to reflash the ECM or install the Ad-Blue. The reflash is the cheapest route but opens VW up to unmet mileage and performance claims. The Ad-Blue would cost them a lot to install on 400,000 cars. The new reflash would cost the TDI motor about 10-12% in fuel mileage and power according to some of the expert opinions I've read. I'm currently getting 40.1mpg overall with a single best tank of 44.2mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2013/quadaffyduck/234404

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW TDi cars! Reply with quote

VW isn't touching the emissions system on my 2012 Passat. I get exactly what I paid for. Huge car, 50 mpg, not a whiff of diesel exhaust.

I should receive my $500 cards soon, which I'll promptly spend at the parts counter.

I'd gladly buy anyone's used TDI Passat without hesitation or fear it's not legal to drive. I'll park it just as soon as I see every last diesel pickup rollin coal at the emissions station pass the test standards for diesels my state doesn't even have.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: