Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebel wiring harness questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven2685
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have gotten. A desent amount done but I have 2 pictures I need to know what each wire does first is the turn signal and the 2nd is the ignition
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help would be great thank you[/img]
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF these are standard VW colors on wires go to here....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

And pick a year like 1968...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Raven2685
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is or not it's off a mgtd kit cat mainly I am wanting to know what the copper wire strip is and where it goes but anyone that can tell me where the color codes go would would a great help
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first picture looks to me like a Vw 67 turn signal switch with the headlight dimmer switch in the handle.

The black/green and black/white wires are for the turn signals. The brown wires are for the horn and headlight relay ground signals.

The 1967 wiring diagram will have all those colors documented and make it easy to hook up.

I based my lighting and engine primary wiring off the 1967 diagram and it is the simplest VW wiring you can follow.

I used stock taillights, turn signals and brake lights on my buggy so it was pretty easy to follow. I also used the stock 9 pin black box with the Emergency flasher switch.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven2685 wrote:
I am not sure if it is or not it's off a mgtd kit cat mainly I am wanting to know what the copper wire strip is and where it goes but anyone that can tell me where the color codes go would would a great help

You need to have color codes supplied with kit to tell for sure... As 'kit" wiring may differ from OEM VW....

You may have to learn how to trace wires through source & destination concepts (where they connect) or also learn how to continuity wires to validate source connection and destination...

Electrons do not care what color wire insulation is, color codes are only for humans....

Instead of just sticking a colored with on a terminal, learn the "function" of each wire and how it interrelates to whole wiring of vehicle, you will be better for that if you ever have to trouble shoot....

Look at your problem as "one wire at a time" not the whole bundle wires....

A simple $20 multi-meter can be the best tool you ever purchased for electrical system furthest and you can test for voltage, ground and continuity...

Funny part about meters and wiring, I have 4 meters (two digital- two analog) at my disposal, one is a FLUKE the cost over $250 and the $5 test lamp shown below is my first tool of choice...

With more experience a simple test lamp can be your best friend....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Not sure what is actually in rebel kit ..

For backup lights power (12 volts) goes to switch on transaxle then to lamps... IN VW Beetle power is sourced from same source as coil (+ terminal on coil)... You have choice to power them from any source you want, but probably should be key controlled...

The front and rear turn signals are tied common at turn signal, providing you are not using after market TS switch that is for 2 lifetime bulb style that incorporates brake light(s)..

You can use simple switch to activate relay to in effect bypass turn signal switch on column and turn on both left and right side turn signals simultaneously...

Dale

Dale,
I won't be running backup lights on the buggy, unless I get made to. I was more curious as to if they were switched or accessory. My ignition switch does not allow for anything more than 4 wires, and uses a molded plug to attach the wires to the switch itself. I didn't want to splice into the wires to power the coil, but have found another switched power of sufficient size to power the coil. Jeremy at Rebel confirmed things for me.
The turn signal switch is stock, along with a stock column, so I'm joining the turn signal wires (front and rear, per side) together prior to going to the column switch, and since I'm using a Speedhut indicator that has separate indicators for each turn signal side, I've had to join those in as well. I'm using stock 62-67 rear turn signals and LED's in the headlights up front.

Another issue, that I believe I have correct, but wanted some backup to be sure: Due to the issue above with my ignition switch, I can't connect the +12v to the D+ on the alternator to go to the light to polarize the field. I do have a terminal block that is a switched (in the run and start positions only) +12v. Am I correct to say that this would be sufficient to use for the alternator and oil pressure lights rather than splicing into the 10 gauge wire going to the ignition switch?

I'm so close now, I can practically hear the engine running!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any switched (fuse block?) 12 volt source can be used for alt light...

Dale

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Any switched (fuse block?) 12 volt source can be used for alt light...

Dale

Thanks again Dale! Found a switched source that is going to be perfect. Really didn't want to try and splice into the 10 gauge wire, and found the backup light source from the fuse block (Jeremy puts a separate feed there instead of coming off the coil) that will be perfect for that and to power the low oil pressure switch. I had him put in an oil pressure gauge wire, but forgot to mention I'd be using the gauge and the idiot light, so now I have to run a separate wire from the light to the switch. Always learning. Hope to have the dash complete tonight.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: 8 ckt VW universal kit question Reply with quote

Just finishing up with this kit and have to say the quality is pretty good and overall the kit is very complete. The instructions are weak, intentionally I think, you almost can wire your car just by following the labels on the wire.

But my kit has a wire marked "Hazard" sort of brown or tan in the dash bundle that is not mentioned or discussed in the instructions at all?

Anyone know what to do with it? Do I power it (+) or ground (-) it through a switch to operate the Hazard lights? OR does it need something more complicated in order to use it?

Thanks for any help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Great thread everyone. I am installing a basic 8 circut rebel kit. The generic hot-rod kit. i have all switches and lights ready to roll. in my wiring the alternator wires are not labled -save 2- one BIG red one marked "alternator"-it goes to the starter solenoid-but does it run off D+F or the D+M on the alternator? I have a white "alternator excitor" wire, no clue where it goes. I assume opposite of the big red one? What goes on the far back single terminal on the alternator?? and I do not have a resistor at the moment. Is that a must have as well?? Thanks
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

greggy wrote:
Great thread everyone. I am installing a basic 8 circut rebel kit. The generic hot-rod kit. i have all switches and lights ready to roll. in my wiring the alternator wires are not labled -save 2- one BIG red one marked "alternator"-it goes to the starter solenoid-but does it run off D+F or the D+M on the alternator? I have a white "alternator excitor" wire, no clue where it goes. I assume opposite of the big red one? What goes on the far back single terminal on the alternator?? and I do not have a resistor at the moment. Is that a must have as well?? Thanks

A picture of your alternator showing the electrical hook ups would help a bunch. From your description, it sounds like you have an external regulated alternator. If so, the wiring will be different and part of it will connect to the external regulator and not direct into the wire harness.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

If 2 wire alternator (Bosch AL82 style and some "white box" regulated Motorola's).....

IF Motorola AL 78 style (4 wire) external regulated...

These are ultimately how its works.... You will have to translate "Rebel" into "VW" speak... Notice the terminals on both types of alternators are labeled D+ and goes to Idiot Lamp whose other side is connected to key switched 12 volts...

Another issue may be "run on", but you should not worry about that unless you experience it...

Dale

greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

im at work at the moment, so i stole this picture from the web. behind that hose is another terminal..so i assume its the motorola 4-wire jobby.
which answers one of my questions--i think--i need to use an external
regulator. if so, i have a new ford style with the 4 plugs. labled I S A F.
anyone ever use one of those for your bugggys? just a thought since i already have it on hand

[/img]
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

That is a GENERATOR.... Requires a external regulator (VW Specific- Not something adapted from off the shelf) ....

Wired as ....

Dale

greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Read you loud and clear Dale. Thank you. And thanks to everyone else too.
Wyntand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Is it cheaper to buy an already made wiring harness than trying to measure the total lengths of each colour wire I need to rewire my entire SWB buggy?
Has anyone ever calculated the amount of wiring needed?
Cheers
1964 Beetle
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

My first buggy, I bought the $ 50.00 EMPI Buggy wiring harness, good enough, simple basic buggy.

After buying additional wire because they were either too short, or not enough circuits, then buying more circuits because the basic kit did not have enough, then mixing it up do to too much the same color, crappy fuse block that kept coming loose, cheap wire insulation. No relays, no labeling.

My guess is I tripled my initial investment by the time I was done. Not to mention the time involved to figure it out, plan, re-route over and again.

Yes, the initial outlay appears a lot for a wired, labeled harness. But the time it now saves me is tremendous. Very little thought with all the wires labeled every 8 inches. Hardest part is figuring how I want to route the looms to look neat.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

This is what my buggy wiring looked like when I first got it .

The first time I wired my buggy I used a 10 position fused box and all the lights and parts from a 1967 VW Bug. and a 8 position screw terminal.
The engine wires run along the tunnel on the passenger side to the engine compartment

It was the simplest diagram to follow and worked well.
I knew very little about wiring but just doing that job made me intimate with the workings of my buggy and I understood exactly what was happening when I was all done and could drive it.

I kept the engine and buggy lighting separate. All the lighting was attached to the body and never had to be disconnected to remove the body except for the two wires to the master cylinder and one wire to the horn that was mounted on the pan.

Almost every winter I would pull the buggy completely apart and do some sort of upgrade. Lucky for me the first wiring job allowed me to remove the body by unhooking just 8 wires from a screw terminal that ran all the engine wiring only.

Over the years I kept adding more and more stuff to it and as I came up with a better idea with wiring I would change it in the winter.

To say I have grown would be an understatement due to the fact my wiring has been changed so many times I can't count.
I love wiring now and keep messing with it every winter.
This is what it looks like now.

Engine compartment

Don't be afraid to wire it just to get it going. You can and probably will want to modify or add to it down the road.
After all a buggy is never done.........
You can make it as simple or complicated as you want.

Mine has creature comforts, reliability and power........ Cool

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Just keeping this thread fresh.

It's not a buggy but I am installing a Rebel Deluxe Harness in a friend's Squareback. He started the job himself but I had to pull it out and take over...

Before I started...

First thing I did was make a mounting bracket for the harness. I like the idea of spacing it up and off the body some.

Then I attached the fuse panel to the bracket with stainless machine screws. From there I dressed the wires out in 2 groups. One group is all the stuff going to the rear of the car and the dash stuff that's to the left of the steering column. The other group is the dash stuff going to the right of the steering column.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

I've been away from my buggy for quite some time. Finally back into it. I have the Rebel VW deluxe harness and Im sitting here staring at wire. Does the Red Solenoid power wire go to the same lug on the starter as the battery cable? Thanks for your help

Edit Also where does the fusible Link go

Thanks Again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: