Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
WOOHOO, YAAAYYY, UHHUH! Dancing Applause

That's precisely how I felt!

carl4x4 wrote:
you're very brave! I'd be measuring & re-measuring for hours doing this, always paranoid that one side was higher than the other. Well done Smile

The fitting/trimming/checking/re-checking/door gaps/alignment/tacking took the best part of two days! Barry the guy doing the body-work is meticulous - it will probably end up with better gaps/fit than it ever had from the factory. They just couldn't spend that much time on each car.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

so it is christmastime on dowrie-mountains this days.

parcel arrives at australia with riechert carburator-parts. please let us now when you kiss your angel.....

regards from germany, udo Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Udo

They have turned up safe and sound, with a few surprises thrown in as well!

As a great example of the Samba community helping each other out, I'll let you know how Udo has helped me with my restoration.

I had picked up most parts of a Riechert twin carb kit for my '63 coupe, but didn't have the critical linkage components. I looked at classifieds etc but never found the right parts. By chance I found that Riechert Tuning was still operating. I spoke with Berndt Riechert by phone who was very helpful, with impeccable English. He is now quite an elderly gentleman, but he had all the parts I needed.
However I think a combination of distance (Germany-Australia), language, and generational barriers just meant it didn't happen.
Step in the hero of the hour, Udo!. Despite not knowing me at all, he arranged for delivery of all the parts to his house, paying for them as well. They were then sent on to australia. I of course reimbursed Udo with a little extra as a thank you.
When they turn up here at Kangaroo Point (yes it really does exist), not only are all the parts there, but some VW themed cups and a copy of the Karmann Ghia 50 year book.

Udo, you are welcome here anytime!😀

Again, thank you so much for all the trouble you have gone to on my behalf.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

X2 on Udo...he is a TOP GHIA MAN. Cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

fi from germany to australia!

enjoy the parts, the book and the mug.

yes, some friends mean that is crazy to buy so expensive parts and shipment for an unknown men in australia. but i think that little jobe makes the world a big part better to have friends all over the world. i wish more people do the same. we all want peace and a nice life. everyone can do the same littl steps.

come on guys...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Well there has been a little less peace in the world unfortunately since the last post.

With the front clip back in place, the lower fender repair section and headlight sections could be installed.

This headlight section needed a little more than the standard repair patch. Other side only needed the patch

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Excellent work. Every post is a learning experience for me. Keep ' em coming.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Hi Angus, why has the headlight repair section been fully welded along the bottom but only stitched at the side and the top? Or is that a progress photo with more welding afterwards?
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Hi Angus, why has the headlight repair section been fully welded along the bottom but only stitched at the side and the top? Or is that a progress photo with more welding afterwards?

It's just a progress shot at the end of yesterday. Other headlight section will get tacked in place. Final check of door gaps etc then body off pan again for last time. Fully weld out then paint prep!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

OK some questions about jacks. Despite looking through numerous posts, I'm not clear on which way the jack sits in the front tyre well area. Does it stand with the circular base at the top or bottom? And does it sit on the triangular guide or beside it? After re-building the lower area of the tyre well, have to install the guide.
Finally, I have two jacks and can't remember now which is the original. They are both 450mm height. One has a blue base, the other black.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
OK some questions about jacks. Despite looking through numerous posts, I'm not clear on which way the jack sits in the front tyre well area. Does it stand with the circular base at the top or bottom? And does it sit on the triangular guide or beside it? After re-building the lower area of the tyre well, have to install the guide.
Finally, I have two jacks and can't remember now which is the original. They are both 450mm height. One has a blue base, the other black.

This is from a 65 owners manual, not sure if it helps. I couldn't find a similar image in the 63 manual.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I'd actually looked through the owners manual for my car, and at about 4-5 different years on the archives, but obviously not '65! Most didn't have it, or there was one with a perfect angle but a hand pointing out something which completely blocked the jack.

I thought that was the correct orientation, but on beetles it is upside down and I've seen it either way on Ghias.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:

Angus, I have it as follows:

Base on the triangular guide
Blue under the base (according to The Fop) but I have no idea why

That jack is just for show. I'm not going to use it, for sure.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Thanks Chris.

I thought my original Ghia jack had a blue base, but it's been a while since I last drove it. I also won't actually use it, I'll keep a scissor jack handy.

And still least now the triangular support can be positioned with a bit more confidence.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
Thanks Chris.

I thought my original Ghia jack had a blue base, but it's been a while since I last drove it. I also won't actually use it, I'll keep a scissor jack handy.

And still least now the triangular support can be positioned with a bit more confidence.

I'm not sure my message on the PM system is going through, so I'll repeat it here:

Hi Angus

I took it out to measure carefully. (I have to paint to underside of the foot blue anyway, and might as well do that now.) Top of the shaft to where it enters the foot is exactly 41cm. The foot adds another 1cm, thus 42cm as it stands.

I've checked whether the Ghia can accommodate 450mm, but I'm afraid not. Especially if you were to insert the lever into the top of the shaft for storage, where I think it is supposed to go.

I hope this helps.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Chris

Yes the PMs came through. Being 30 mm shorter seems right. I haven't seen it myself but they were trial fitting a jack putting it both ways and couldn't get it to fit, seemed too long to be able to close the lid.

I might just trim 30mm off the jack shaft I have, as I won't ever actually use it anyway.

Thanks for the info.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

A few more progress shots.

Nose clip fully welded out. Barry has tied the two pieces together by inter-twined 'fingers' rather than a straight cut.

Headlight repair sections in place.

Left side repair piece has a slight twist in it which needs to be straightened out before fully welding it out. Must be a fault in the forming die? When that is done the headlight bowl can go in.

Sample pots for some test sprays are coming up after final body work.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
Left side repair piece has a slight twist in it which needs to be straightened out before fully welding it out. Must be a fault in the forming die? When that is done the headlight bowl can go in.

I just checked my JP Group headlight repair patches and they don't seem to be twisted - they sit flush on the table when face down but the rear edges are not cut evenly therefore will need to be trimmed. They also have some wrinkles along the top either side of the peak in the fender (which is meant to be there) so these will need to be hammer and dollied out before installing.

Also I noticed that the two sides are a little different along the inside edge where they meet the nose panel - one has quite a square edge and the other is more round rounded. I have no idea which one will fit better but it really gives me the shits when I buy a pair of supposedly identical parts at the same time from the same vendor and they turn out to be different.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Angus Dowrie wrote:

... it really gives me the shits when I buy a pair of supposedly identical parts at the same time from the same vendor and they turn out to be different.

We had a similar reaction over here when the left and right repair panels for the wheel arches did the same - one fits flush, the other doesn't. And then we have those Vietnamese manufactured stainless steel bumpers - the rear fits like a glove, the front is the devil's creation.

If they can get the one right, how come they don't get the other right? Sure beats me.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Angus Dowrie wrote:

... it really gives me the shits when I buy a pair of supposedly identical parts at the same time from the same vendor and they turn out to be different.

We had a similar reaction over here when the left and right repair panels for the wheel arches did the same - one fits flush, the other doesn't. And then we have those Vietnamese manufactured stainless steel bumpers - the rear fits like a glove, the front is the devil's creation.

If they can get the one right, how come they don't get the other right? Sure beats me.

Part of me gets frustrated that everything needs re-working, then I think I'm grateful that there are these parts available at all! The left and right mirror image parts although they are the same each require their own die to manufacture, so can have variations from side to side. Also the cars are coach built, so are all a bit different.

The dies can be quite expensive to make, and wear with use. To keep replacing them would be expensive, and push the unit cost up for the spares. It's all a trade-off, as is much in life.

For my headlight pieces above, one didn't need anything and the other will require an hour max with hammer and dolly to get right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: