Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes seized on '57 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMMVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi everyone - A quick question. The front brakes on my '57 beetle have seized. I haven't used the car in a couple of years and I want to tow it to a local repair shop. Is there any way to disconnect the front brakes? I can't even turn the wheel to the access point where I can then back off the shoes and turn the wheels more freely.

The back brakes are all good so it's just the fronts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

It could be the front flex lines keeping the fluid from backing off from the wheel cylinders. I would try pulling the lines first and see if that releases them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMMVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks I'll give that a try. It's both front wheels (so not just one) so not sure if that make a difference.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

It probably doesn't make a difference.

Yes, rubber lines could be the issue.
It's not uncommon for more than one to be bad if they are the same age.
If you don't know how old the rubber lines are, you probably need all 4 of them replaced, regardless of any other issues.

I had this happen in the rear and it was not the rubber lines.
The problem was both cylinders were corroded from age so as soon as I pressed on the pedal, the shoes were stuck out in the out position, locking the drums.

My car was not running at the time but if your car is running you might be able to eek it forward a little to line up the adjustment holes and release things that way.

Since my car was not running I ended up using a brake drum puller to basically rip the drums off.
This messed up the shoes but new rear cylinders and shoes and a full brake bleed and I was back in business.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMMVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Awesome advice! thanks
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Loosen the wheel bearing nuts several turns and rock the car. Don't jack the car off the ground . . . just rock the car side to side. The slop in the wheel bearings should be enough to allow some play between the drums and shoes. Hopefully that will break 'em loose.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Get some bolts longer than your lugs, bolt a steel bar to two lug holes on the drum. Using the bar for leverage, tap the drum with a hammer repeatedly, not super hard of course or you could crack it, but slightly less than you would strike a common framing nail. Adding heat could also help. Avoid a drum puller if possible as the shoes could come off with the drum, breaking the wheel cylinder and adjuster slots.
MMMVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I am going to work on the car first thing tomorrow morning and will keep you posted. It's going to be either a 5 minute job or a full weekender. You know how this type of stuff can go.

I am armed with lots of good advice from the forums so will make good use of my time.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Sounds like the shoes rusted to the drum, it a bit brutal sounding, but take the wheel off & using a BFH, strike the drum several times towards the outer edge of the drum. 6-8 good hits with a 5lb hammer between the lug holes (so you don't damage threads) should break them loose. You can hold a 2x4/6 against the drum if your worried about marring the drum but that will also absorb some of the shock needed to coerce the shoes to let go.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes seized on '57 Beetle Reply with quote

For rusted to drum shoes, lots easier and less damaging if you just remove two lug bolts on each drum and use a long thin punch thru each lug bolt hole and hammer to shock each shoe loose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: