Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The dirt track beater bug
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

So, not really sure what to call it. It isn't a baja, but its a bit offroady and I intend to use it offroad. Less crawling around the woods and more, blasting around corn fields and whatnot. Dirt tracker is the closest thing I could think of. Anyway, its a 1976 standard Beetle I got with another car as a parts car. I fixed and have since sold the other car, made a big profit, and now have this pile lying around. I figured I'd do something with it. Has a 1600 dual port that was fuel injected but now has a stock carburetor setup courtesy of a previous owner. It has almost no floor, a partially stuck front brake drum, rotted rear brake line, and very little actually functions BUT it will be FUN! I'm gonna try and document some of the repairs and lunacy that entails with this car so follow along and watch the downward spiral of hackery and shenanigans Laughing

This was basically the car about a year ago when I first got it. You can see the yellow '73 in front of it, thats the car that I actually invested time and money into
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The '76 kinda did this all winter

A few days ago, it looked basically the same as the first pic from when I first got it. Then, yesterday, I got motivated and did some things

I like where this is going

Magnificent.

And heres a quick and dirty photoshop of what I want it to look like next spring when I put it on the road.

1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1968 bug on CJ 5 chassis w/ super swampers
1970 Baja
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

We used to have a blast in a 73 super that we had gutted and removed the fenders like your car. We put dirt track tires on it on wide offset wheels and would go tear ass down dirt roads. pretty much exactly what your doing. It was alot of fun. Id leave it stock ride heigth if you ever plan to do offroading or your roads are real cut up.
Its amzing how the handle on dirt with wide tires.
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
We used to have a blast in a 73 super that we had gutted and removed the fenders like your car. We put dirt track tires on it on wide offset wheels and would go tear ass down dirt roads. pretty much exactly what your doing. It was alot of fun. Id leave it stock ride heigth if you ever plan to do offroading or your roads are real cut up.
Its amzing how the handle on dirt with wide tires.

That sounds like a whole lotta fun and exactly what I want to do. I do plan to leave it stock height for a while. I'm just thinking some time in the future I may want to do a slammed, Formula Vee inspired open wheel low down super-sticky handling car on the street with it but we'll see how it fares as dirt duty first. I did actually get the car running yesterday. Needs more tuning but I'm gonna play with it today and see if I can't drive it around the yard.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

Well, more progress today. Since there is no floor at all left on the passenger side, including the battery tray, I relocated the battery to the driver side using a long power cable I had kicking around and relocated the ground. I aired up the tires, filled the float bowl and made it into the back yard before it ran out Laughing filled the bowl again, got it back in the driveway. I was gonna throw my little electric fuel pump and a test-tank in it (FI engine so no mechanical pump) but the inlet fitting on the pump sprung a pin hole leak. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up another fitting and hope to have the fuel system done, engine running decent, and the car moving around by the end of the day tomorrow. Then, I can focus on brakes.

1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

Hey Stevens

I will be following along on this build...I am huge oval track guy and would love to build a retro "mini-stock" as they used to call them back when they ran them on he local dirt tracks in my neck back in the late 1970's. Bob Hackel build some of the fastest stuff around...too bad the class got out of hand and interest waned as time went along...

Dont forget numbers on the doors and nerf bars too...I am loving this...right up my alley...looks affordable too...

thanks for posting on here...

MikeC
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hey Stevens

I will be following along on this build...I am huge oval track guy and would love to build a retro "mini-stock" as they used to call them back when they ran them on he local dirt tracks in my neck back in the late 1970's. Bob Hackel build some of the fastest stuff around...too bad the class got out of hand and interest waned as time went along...

Dont forget numbers on the doors and nerf bars too...I am loving this...right up my alley...looks affordable too...

thanks for posting on here...

MikeC

Thanks! The old mini stock cars are really kind of my inspiration for this build, I had a lot of ideas for the car including an old school gasser or putting it on bags and building a hood ride but this idea kinda won over the others (mostly cause its the cheapest Laughing)

Also, today I did what I could to the car with the daylight I had left. Apparently the local Lowe's doesn't stock 1/8 pipe thread to 1/4 barb fittings so I had to buy a bunch of random fittings and cobble this together to get a new fitting on my fuel pump. The tank is just a temporary test-tank I took off an old brigg's. I wired in the pump to key'd power and a cutoff switch. The car does actually run, needs an oil change before I run it long enough to tune however. Rigged up this soda-can exhaust repair Laughing it'll do for now.

1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

So, another update. The driver front wheel has been hanging up pretty bad since I bought the car. I turned it until I found a relatively loose spot and then slid the drum off and this is what I found:

Yeah, gnarly Laughing. Luckily I kept the old shoes off my '73 from when I replaced those (about 65% remaining) and I have some wheel cylinders on hand to get everything inside the drum working again.

Regardless, I took it for a little drive around the yard and down the dead-end street I live on now that I have a fuel system.

Just some pics for fun

By the way, anyone have a stock muffler they'd like to donate to this pile Laughing
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

Is that not the coolest looking VW on here or what?.....that stance is spot on....a highboy beetle with no fenders...doesnt get any better than that....wish I had parts to send to you...but I dont...keep plugging along on it...

MikeC
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Is that not the coolest looking VW on here or what?.....that stance is spot on....a highboy beetle with no fenders...doesnt get any better than that....wish I had parts to send to you...but I dont...keep plugging along on it...

MikeC

Thanks, I don't know if its the coolest but its definitely one of the cheapest Laughing. Don't worry, I'm going to visit a friend of mine out of NH who lives near a guy who has tons of VW stuff, I'm gonna grab some things while I'm out there. Hopefully a stock muffler, maybe some brake parts. Maybe a windshield.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The dirt track beater bug Reply with quote

Update time. Found some wheel cylinders new in box that I've had in my stash for almost 4 years. They are for the rear of a '70 but other than the bore being slightly smaller (if I remember correctly) they are essentially the same as fronts. Since this car will only see dirt use for the time being they'll be fine. I also dug out the shoes I pulled out of my '73 last winter when I did the shoes on that and threw those on. all the adjusters were siezed, I broke those loose and popped em out, cleaned em up on the wire wheel and put them back together with a little tube and everything seems copacetic now. I bought a 3rd brake light switch to plug the rear brake line port of the master cyl, tomorrow we'll see if I can bleed the front brakes and get them functional! I also changed the oil today, but I really need a muffler before I run it too long.

Here were the brakes on the driver side as I found them. The passenger side looked the same Laughing

Heres what they looked like with the adjusters free'd up, new/used shoes, and the new wheel cylinders

And, all assembled.

1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: